E85 Ethanol Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rick20
Perhaps the recommendation to run synthetic motor oil in flex fuel vehicles is due to the high heat developed when burning E85, when compared to E10.

Who is recommending Synthetic oil for E85's?? I know of no auto maker that specifically does.

Last edited:
The syntetich oil will stand up better to the acids form using E85. Dont know the english word for ättiksyra, maybee Lars11 knows it and can tell you the right acid.

well, Acetic acid, same as in vinegar etc. Now I am speculating but there may be three reasons for early oil changes in E85 cars:
1. Acetic acid is a bit corrosive (but there is very little in the oil, and it boils off at like 110 deg C)
2. E85 vehicles use 25-40% more volume of fuel. This increases dilution about the same so since the main driver in OLMs is amount of fuel burnt, you must change the oil sooner in a ethanol car.
3. The exact effects of the above are not known so better safe than sorry according to the manufacturers.

Acids are bad in oil. But dilution of ethanol is quite clean and should boil off better than gasoline. What gives? Reduce OCI by 30% and your oil is at least as good as full intervals on gas.

Lots of guys are using up to a 25% mixture (increase in octane) with zero issues. I'm going to run it my car this spring
55.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back