E85 Ethanol Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an 03 Flex Fuel Tahoe 5.3, and I filled it up today with E85. It was just 2.34 per gallon, so I thought I'd try it. Has anyone experienced any negatives with it, such as engine deposits or anything like that? The Tahoe seems to run just fine on it, based on the short amount of driving I've done so far today. I'm sure mileage will take a hit, but other than that, I'm feeling no difference with it.

From what I understand, you will take a mileage hit of about a 25% reduction. So if you get 20MPG with regular unleaded, you will get around 15MPG. Other than that, it's a pretty clean fuel.

There was one thread about how one of the OEMs recommended that you use synthetic oil when using E85. My take on that is the OEM figured that synthetics have a stronger additive package and would give you a little more protection from the higher amount of fuel that would be burned. That is completely pulled from my posterior though.

Thanks for the info. I'll report back on the mileage after I run a couple of tanks. I generally get 16 to 16.5 mpg on regular unleaded, so I'd expect to get 12 or 13 with E85.

As noted, expect a 20-25% fuel mileage hit from full strength fuel. If the difference in fuel price makes the economics work, go for it! (It seems that most of the time here E-85 (which is pretty widely available in this market)is priced somewhere around 15% less than our E-10 blend, making it a dicey break even proposition.

Interesting. Let us know what kind of mileage you really get.

The general consensus from Brazilians that I knew back in the '80's was that running pure ethanol lead to extremely clean, long running engines.

I wonder if most people with E85 vehicles stick with that, or switch back and forth.
If they switch back and forth, how does that affect the engine/running/mileage etc..??

So far I'm getting about 13mpg, so 2.7 less, according to the Tahoe's computer. That is about an 18% hit, which should be right on target, considering I had a little over a quarter tank of gas when I filled up. I'm going to run it down and then fill it again completely with E85, then we'll see what happens. So far, the engine runs extremely well. I can't tell a difference from sound or feel.

I've been running E85 in my Explorer since day one. Only time it had gasoline in it was when I picked it up from the dealership. Never had a single problem, and it burns very clean. No residue on the plugs, and even the oil doesn't get discolored much. I'm running Schaeffer's oil in it, and at 5000 miles, I pull the stick and it's still got that little greenish tint to it!

MPG on mine has been decent. I know EPA rated this one at 15/20 on gasoline, and I've gotten anywhere from 11 to almost 18 on E85, which is close to a dollar a gallon less than unleaded here.

Quote:

I wonder if most people with E85 vehicles stick with that, or switch back and forth.
If they switch back and forth, how does that affect the engine/running/mileage etc..??

Jury is still out on long term results for most flex fuel vehicles running well on E85 mostly because There are not enough E85 pumps scattered around. I live in Central Iowa which is heart of corn/ethanol country, and E85 pumps are not anywhere close by me. I am not driving 50 miles to fuel up with E85. Kinda stupid not having more E85 pumps and biodiesel percentages more than B5 especially since I have ethanol and biodiesel production going on within 15 miles of my house. I can visually see (since I live on a hill top) the new biodiesel facility 8 miles from my house. I have to travel to Des Moines (about 50 miles) if I wanted E85, B10, B20, etc. E10 is everywhere, but not E85.

Oh well.....

I'm sure it's just dumb coincidence, but I live about a mile from one E85 station, and work about 6 miles from another. For me, it works perfect to buy E85 instead of gasoline, but even if it were further away, I'd probably still buy it. I'd rather have my fuel money going to support local farmers and business.

At one of the E85 stations, my dad was filling up a while back, and there was someone there taking a survey, so my dad answered the survey. One of the questions was related to the mileage loss vs. the price of E85, and to the surveyor's surprise, my dad answered, "I'd run it even if it were more expensive than gasoline".
I don't know if I would or not, but maybe. I like the way it runs, and my mileage isn't all that different than it would be on gasoline. It smells better out the exhaust, and my oil stays much cleaner. At a 5000 mile OCI, my oil is still perfectly clean looking. Plugs look like the day they were installed too...There's not a trace of brown or black residue on them.
I'm glad that E85 is so much cheaper than gasoline here, but that's just a side bonus IMHO.

When E10 first came out there were many reported problems related to fuel filters and injectors due to the cleaning effect of the ethanol. Granted the vehicles may not have been maintained well and the E just pushed them over? But it was enough of of problem that ARCO made some public statements about it. The move from E10 to E85 seems like an even bigger step, wonder if the same kind of symptoms will surface? Not a real big fan of alcohol in engines, or burning our food and water resources for fuel. But what the heck do I know.

The blend lessens during colder months. It's not always a true 85%. The adjust the amount of gasoline in the blend to aid in cold starting when the weather gets colder.
Visit this site when you have time, and read up a little more on it.
http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php

One of the members there "1outlaw" is the alternative fuels director of Renew Energy LLC, the ethanol plant near me. He's extremely knowledgeable about it and could answer any question you might have.

This fuel could take a lot of compression in the new HCCI motors coming out, which would give very high thermal efficiency, making it cheaper per mile than gasoline.

With correct engine tuning you will get more power out of a given engine compared to gas. (Generally) You will also get less MPG since the fuel contain about 30% less energy per gallon and you will not gain that much by improving the efficiency of the engine by higher comp.

Perhaps the recommendation to run synthetic motor oil in flex fuel vehicles is due to the high heat developed when burning E85, when compared to E10.

My 99 Ford Ranger runs cooler oil temps and coolant temps while running E-85 it has now logged over 90,000 mile on E-85 the truck has over 120,000 miles. My son now drives it.
We use 5w30 pp with 5000 mile OCI. Motor runs like new and uses no oil. average about 20mpg on E-85. this is a 2wd 5speed.3.0 vulcan engine.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
Perhaps the recommendation to run synthetic motor oil in flex fuel vehicles is due to the high heat developed when burning E85, when compared to E10.

What high heat? E85 burns cooler than gasoline at the correct A/F mixture.

My guess is that synthetic is recommended because of greater possible fuel dilution from the alcohol. Just a WAG, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back