dumb vaccination question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
However, only so that they can attend public schools. ( I'm of the poor kind )

Not sure if sarcasm...
How bad are the public schools in your area for you to draw that conclusion?
And as a bit of a social class mutt that I am, how much better do you think private schools are?

Some vaccinations are important.

Others, like the Flu shot, are just a farce. EVERYONE I know who gets a flu shut ... gets the flu. They are just guessing at what the strain is going to be. Usually there's more than one going around.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Not sure if sarcasm...
How bad are the public schools in your area for you to draw that conclusion?
And as a bit of a social class mutt that I am, how much better do you think private schools are?

You seem to think (I think) that he meant that he vaccinated them because his kids have to be around the "poor kids" that have sickness. I am fairly certain he meant that he vaccinates his kids only because public schools require it in order to attend them.

I'm glad that he did vaccinate his children, but his logic is really not very sound. He should vaccinate his children because he doesn't want them to get horrible diseases that are easily prevented by modern science and technology.

robert

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

parents who believe every last thing that their doctor (part of the club interested in selling vaccines) tells them.
This is called the "sheep mentality".To the other poster, It's not always best to listen to doctors,if they were always right, then they would never need malpractice insurance,they wouldn't be getting sued,or accidently killing.That's why it's called a practice.

I have had every vaccine known to man for my job several have made me very very sick, (hospitalization twice) in the end I have no immunity to anything I have been vaccinated for. My doctor tested me several times as she couldn't believe the results in the end she said Myself and my children more likely shouldn't have any vaccines since they make me sick and do nothing for me.

When swine flu was going around I was told I had it three times.
I think that's comical.
They all knew I had allergies and they all said I had it.
Statistics are great but when they are full of laughable results its makes me wonder.

This is the kind of discussion a parent should have with their pediatrician. Hopefully you have faith in the doctor's ability to provide the best care for your children.

As an adult, I got a TDAP so I can safely (for them) be near my grandchildren. And (for me) a shingles, pneumonia and flu. Spread out, not all at once.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Others, like the Flu shot, are just a farce. EVERYONE I know who gets a flu shut ... gets the flu. They are just guessing at what the strain is going to be. Usually there's more than one going around.

Say what you will.....I have been getting the flue shot for almost 40 years. If I had the flu anytime in all those years it certainly wasn't the full blown variety. To each his own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Koz1
I have had every vaccine known to man for my job several have made me very very sick, (hospitalization twice) in the end I have no immunity to anything I have been vaccinated for. My doctor tested me several times as she couldn't believe the results in the end she said Myself and my children more likely shouldn't have any vaccines since they make me sick and do nothing for me.

Yes, it is well known that some people have immune system issues or differences that cause problems. It sucks for you, and you're the reason that everyone else should get vaccinated.

robert

I don't get my cats vaccinated (FHV-1/FCV/FPV) bc one died after the vaccine and the other got really ill for 2 weeks. I got ill ( and another cat died) from purportedly "safe" home use carpenter ant control spraying (chloroPyrophos) which is now restricted for residential application.

There is a lot of very toxic stuff around that was at one time once deemed "safe".

The "man" will try to keep the wraps on it.

Last edited:
The immune system's complexity is beyond comprehension....especially on an "oil forum".

I have a MS in Biochemistry and Endocrinology.

The chances for a few "mishaps" (people not benefiting from the vaccine or people having an adverse reaction to it) is going to occur. The infinite variability in antibody design and mutation will allow such things to happen.

Vaccines are a great thing. I'd always choose to roll the dice and have them vs. not. But I also think it should be free choice.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Say what you will.....I have been getting the flue shot for almost 40 years. If I had the flu anytime in all those years it certainly wasn't the full blown variety. To each his own.

I can add two additional data points to that. Both my wife and I have had the flu shot every year for the last 30 or 35 years. And we haven't had the flu in the last 30 or 35 years. A number of times during that time period we've been around people who have the flu and we didn't contract it.

Is it perfect? Certainly not. But does it add an additional layer of defense when combined with other antiviral practices such as frequent hand washing? It most certainly does.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
But I also think it should be free choice.

The problem is that one person's bad choice impacts everyone else in society in this case. Normally I am fairly liberal; as long as you are not hurting anyone else, I could care less what you do. But that's not the case here.

At the very least, if you choose not to get vaccinated, you should be identified as such. Kids shouldn't be allowed at school without vaccinations unless there is an actual medical condition that prevents it. Businesses should be allowed to choose whether they allow you on their premises or not. Etc, etc.

robert

Originally Posted By: Donald
This is the kind of discussion a parent should have with their pediatrician. Hopefully you have faith in the doctor's ability to provide the best care for your children.

We talked it over for my firstborn kid and there were some vaccines scheduled at 6 months that were only done because they assumed he'd be in daycare. We put them off until the next appointment at a year or whatever.

Then we switched doctors as the old one left and the new one saw an (alleged) anomaly on the chart and gave us the stink-eye. But we're cool now, and caught up.

The immune system's complexity is beyond comprehension....especially on an "oil forum".

The chances for a few "mishaps" (people not benefiting from the vaccine or people having an adverse reaction to it) is going to occur. The infinite variability in antibody design and mutation will allow such things to happen.

Vaccines are a great thing. I'd always choose to roll the dice and have them vs. not. But I also think it should be free choice.

+1 We do all the regular vaccinations because I can't find any reason not too.
We don't do the flu one every year mostly just from the PITA factor of another appointment.
I did find this interesting though.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/flu-vaccine-paradox-adds-to-public-health-debate-1.2912790

I agree for the most part, but all cats/dogs should be forced to have a rabies vaccine.

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
with the anti vaccine movement getting publicity, i see comments by pro vaccine people to the anti vaccine people like: "get your kids vaccinated dont endanger my kids."

now assuming pro vaccine people had their kids vaccinated, how would their kids be endangered by unvaccinated kids in school?
wouldnt they be 'immune' is that not the definition of vaccination?
If you read a car magazine there will be a report on a product and then an ad a few pages later to buy the product . The mainstream media is is doing the same. Big pharma is an advertiser.

now assuming pro vaccine people had their kids vaccinated, how would their kids be endangered by unvaccinated kids in school?

Please read about Herd Immunity, as already noted.

Getting everyone vaccinated -who can be vaccinated, some people cannot for legitimate medical reasons- is necessary for maximum safety.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

350px-Community_Immunity.jpg

Illegal immigrants can be incubators of disease because our border with Mexico is open. Some of these diseases are potentially much more dangerous than measles. For example, malaria was eliminated from the US in the early 50's but between 1957 and 2011 there have been 63 local outbreaks of malaria along the border with Mexico. The problem today with malaria imported from Mexico is that it is classified as "multiple drug resistant". In simple words, difficult and expensive to treat and in some cases not treatable at all. Reporting of such problems becomes a political issue with information carefully conditions for public consumption. No matter what the financial and political implications of border control might be it's time to consider the healthcare problems and start enforcing the immigration laws already on the books.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

1. Some people can't be vaccinated because they're too young or have some kind of medical condition (which is doubly bad because it'd also make having the disease worse).

2. Not all vaccines work 100% on all people.

3. The more people carry a disease, the more likely it is that a mutant form will emerge that the vaccine can't fight.
Yes. Thinking "we don't have to do this because 'lesser folks' do is unwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back