DUI Punishments In Your State???

Status
Not open for further replies.
mike, sorry to hear about your buddy. host, what does that mean, "not enough"? If you were a Judge or prosecutor who would you rather incarcerate; the drunk on the road or the armed robbery or even rapist? There is only so much room in the U.S. prison system. I am not trying to justify drunk driving but I am trying to demonstrate the "average Joe's" lack of understanding of the justice system.

My wife's hairdresser was arrested a couple months ago for DUI.
She was trying to drink herself to death, decided it wasn't happening quick enough, so decided to drive someplace else to finish herself in a quicker fashion.

As soon as she got in the car, put it in reverse to get out of her parking spot, she hit an ambulance that just happened to be driving by at that moment in time.

Her court case was in mid July, and my wife brought her to the court, in order to face the charges.

Well, she hit the lotto that day.
The officer who dragged her off to jail that night never filed the ticket.
She had to wait until slightly later that morning to ensure that the officer didn't file the ticket at the last moment.

When he didn't, the ticket was fully dismissed, and she was given a letter by the court indicating that the ticket was fully dismissed. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

For her, this was a one time event, triggered by huge issues that were impacting her ability to think rationally. Hopefully she won't ever repeat her actions that day.

My wife stopped drinking after we started dating so many years ago.
Not because I asked her to, but because she realized it affected our relationship at times.

I haven't had a single drink since Feb 8th, 1995.
Not that I drank much before that, to be honest.
I just realized that it added nothing of value to my life, and I stopped participating in events that cause me to be around people who will drink. My preferred excuse for avoiding company Christmas parties.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
I haven't had a single drink since Feb 8th, 1995.
Not that I drank much before that, to be honest.
I just realized that it added nothing of value to my life, and I stopped participating in events that cause me to be around people who will drink. My preferred excuse for avoiding company Christmas parties.

BC.

Interesting story! Good for you not drinking. I'm pretty happy with my O'Douls NA beer right now, actually good for you ( see https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sle...l-asleep-faster ).

I knew a young gal with a drinking issue about 5 years ago in Kansas, and they had a law to lose your driver's license for LIFE after a couple of DUIs. I think they changed that law. I mean that could be horrible, losing it for life at a young age like that especially, yet she lost it forever in Kansas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
Not sure what the penalty is in NY state since I've never gotten one but I know that if you're a cop around here you have a license to drive drunk all you want.

Look in your auto insurance policy. NY requires all insurance companies to provide info on drinking and driving as part of the policy documents.

Our new governor signed a bill to allow repeat dui's an easier
time to return to the roads.
Last Friday two were killed by a wrong way driver on I-55.
The worst is a drinker looking at their cell phone while driving.

In California the DUI fines and penalties don't seem to matter! There are drunks getting busted all the time, most accidents are from drunks and this last week 3 drunks in separate accidents were killed ,big deal their choice. , and 1 whose car was hit which is tragic.. With 1n 5 miles of where I live.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
wolf, do you believe alcoholism is a real disease? I really just want to hear other peoples experiences with the offense. And the process they went through. Thank God, I don't drink anymore because I really didn't care about any innocent victims on the road. Kudos to you Wolf, for "sticking it" to the driver. Back in the 70's and 80's this wasn't even considered a real crime. I hate the stigma of being convicted of DUI.
Not a disease but a lack of self control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back