DUI Punishments In Your State???

Status
Not open for further replies.
.08 and .04 is really not that drunk.

Two beers for most people.

I personally don't drink at all at home, and rarely at social gatherings.

Do love some craft beer once in a while.

All these troubles, yet pot is still illegal in most of the country?

I can't wrap my brain around that for a second.

Alcohol is way worse for you than pot.

Not really sure about how the DUI thing is for the average driver. If one has a commerical drivers license, the penalties are a little stiff. And even if you are driving your car! A person with a CDL cannot have one beer, count it, one beer in an hour to trip the BAC limit on commercial drivers license regulations. Folks think .08 is a little stiff? Try .03 for a person with a CDL. And if caught, commercial license is suspended for at least 1 full year and you just kissed your career goodbye. Well, in a year or two or more, you might get a job with a garbage hauler in your area.

And it is even more fun. Just 2 times of getting caught going 15 mph over speed limit in a 3 year period, Commercial license is gone for 60 days. 3 times in 3 years, and CDL gone for 120 days. And there are several other categories of "serious" violations that will cause similar suspension or revocation. And even if they violations in question occur in your personal auto! That is because a CDL driver is also required to file annually a statement about all moving violations you receive in ANY vehicle. You fail to report, and you lose the commercial license. Either way, you rack of violations and the career hits the skids.

And this is dictated by Federal regulations, so the states have nothing to do with the penalties. They just enforce them. And the liability thing with motor carriers, along with their insurance carriers holding their feet to the fire, if a driver fits into the above situations, the career is gone. No reputable carrier will let you in the door, let alone a truck.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
.08 and .04 is really not that drunk.

Two beers for most people.

Two beers might put someone over .04, but unless you weigh under 100 lbs, two beers isn't going to get you close to .08.

I drank a lot when I was younger. Drove drunk many times but never had a DUI. I owned a bar for about ten years and saw many get caught. I haven't been drunk in 9 years and have no desire to drink at all anymore. I guess you could say that I grew out of it.
DUIs start at about $10k here. I have held a CDL for the last 34 years. I look back at my drinking and think about how stupid I was. I was very lucky and thank God I never injured anyone or had any accidents.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: Olas
It's funny how alcohol is exempt from the war on drugs. Addictive neurotoxins sponsored and taxed by our loving Governments make me sad. Same goes for tobacco.
There is nothing wrong with alcohol, its just the choices people make when under the influence. I walk home if Ive been out. Rain, snow, freezing temps, I get my exercise in it. Lol

I didn't say there was anything wrong with alcohol (for this argument we can assume addictive potential and neurotoxicity to be good things) I said I thought it was funny how this particular drug is exempt from the war, and taxed. Hypocrites in office?

The limit in Australia for a full licence holder is 0.05. Novice drivers, public vehicle (bus, taxi) drivers and heavy vehicle drivers have a zero limit.

In Tasmania, a first offence, up to 0.08, gets you 3 months disqualification and a fine of around $500. Don't have to go to Court, can be paid like any other traffic fine. 0.081 to 0.149 is 6 months, and a bigger fine. Have to go before the Magistrate. 0.15 and above is instant 12 months disqualification AND a visit to Court, where the Magistrate may impose a higher penalty, depending on the circumstances of the case.

Subsequent offences attract harsher penalties.

You can be pulled over for a breath test at any time - the police don't need "probable cause".

You can also be drug tested at any time. In Tasmania, this involves a saliva test, which, if positive, is followed by a trip to the hospital for a blood sample to be taken. I think the penalty for drug driving is 3 months disqualification and a fine.

The guy who ran into my daughter and her friends, while driving the wrong way on a divided highway, had a 0.19. He died instantly. Fortunately, the kids did not. The guy's family was shocked as they said, "he does not drink." He did at least once, I suppose.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
It's funny how alcohol is exempt from the war on drugs. Addictive neurotoxins sponsored and taxed by our loving Governments make me sad. Same goes for tobacco.
There is nothing wrong with alcohol, its just the choices people make when under the influence. I walk home if Ive been out. Rain, snow, freezing temps, I get my exercise in it. Lol

I didn't say there was anything wrong with alcohol (for this argument we can assume addictive potential and neurotoxicity to be good things) I said I thought it was funny how this particular drug is exempt from the war, and taxed. Hypocrites in office?

In this country we did try that, and it worked about as well as recent attempts to abolish drug use. Maybe worse, given near-universal alcohol usage in the states (I believe higher in those days compared to now).

I don't understand why bars don't install a breathalyzer. I mean, the patrons would know if they had too much or not. But I suspect I know the answer to that question...

But that would be about the only reason why I would go and drink out from home in a setting where the point is to drink. I'm curious what my limits are. Does three per hour put me at the limit? Ok, if I go out for dinner I will make sure to not have more than one, but I will "know" one glass of wine is fine.

While I enjoy a good buzz, any more than that is a waste of booze and aspirin.

Originally Posted By: supton
I don't understand why bars don't install a breathalyzer. I mean, the patrons would know if they had too much or not. But I suspect I know the answer to that question...

But that would be about the only reason why I would go and drink out from home in a setting where the point is to drink. I'm curious what my limits are. Does three per hour put me at the limit? Ok, if I go out for dinner I will make sure to not have more than one, but I will "know" one glass of wine is fine.

While I enjoy a good buzz, any more than that is a waste of booze and aspirin.

They used to do that when they first came out. Guess what happened? What games do drunk people play? It then became a game to see how drunk you could get.

They do sell breathalyzers on keychains now. Around $30.

http://www.amazon.com/BACtrack-Keychain-Breathalyzer-Portable-Keyring/dp/B006536ZXC

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
They used to do that when they first came out. Guess what happened? What games do drunk people play? It then became a game to see how drunk you could get.

Plus when they didn't like the reading it gave they would would start a fight with the machine and start taking swings at it. When that didn't work they would go out to the truck and grab the ball bat. Then smash the machine to smitherines.

Breathalyzers are interesting, I own a decent one (DOT approved) and if you use Listerine and blow your over the limit.

You really have to wait about 15 minutes after last consuming any alcohol to get an accurate reading. Cops should know this, if you nab someone outside of a bar wait before they blow.

.08 is different for all body types and kinds of drinks. My rule of thumb is after 3-4 beers in a reasonable period of time just no more driving. You have to be especially careful around craft beers some have a very high ABV and only 2-3 really is to much.

Last edited:
Stoned is fun, you get all nervous as your driving to Wendy's for 50 burgers.
20.gif
(kidding of course)

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Personally I think .08 is way too low to set the limit for intoxication. .08 is a drink or two with dinner, and at that point driving or crossing the street is not at all dangerous. When you get to .12-.16 that changes.

If you weigh 70 pounds and are a teetotaller, maybe.

For my job I have participated in police sponsored events where I sipped wine, then took a breath test every 15 minutes or so.

Trust me, .08 is WAY more than a drink or two and it's way more than a light buzz. Remember, the police will give you a field test before a breath test, so by .08 you aren't walking straight.

Not sure if it was posted yet, but here in CT a new law went into effect July 1 that mandates an ignition interlock device for first time DUI offenders. If you blow higher than a .025, it locks you out and records the fail.

An ignition alcohol device does nothing if you pop some pills or smoke some legal marijuana. Many of the accidents you see on the news are from people that have no license & are on their 4th, 6th, ect... DUI. MADD, gets laws passed every year but it doesn't address the deeper problem that law enforcement already knows. Of course, judges and prosecutors know the reality. Who would you rather have locked up the armed robbery, rapist, murderer or the drunk on the road. There is only so much room in prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back