DUI Punishments In Your State???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I still have my cdl.I'm only allowed .04 bac even in my personal car. Not worth the risk to lose my cdl.

Absolutely. Too much to risk. One thought. You would think MADD would be championing UBER and self driving cars. They could effectively eliminate DUI's.

I think the solution is more education and programs for people with the chronic disease of alcoholism. Only a small percentage of people who drink too much get some help or stay with it.

The devices they install in cars of people who have had a DUI are likely to cause accidents themselves as they force the driver to re-test while they are driving.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I still have my cdl.I'm only allowed .04 bac even in my personal car. Not worth the risk to lose my cdl.

Yeah and that's part of the hypocrisy along with .00-.02 for those under 21. If it's determined scientifically then why does the science change if not for political reasons?

Many states can also prosecute an OUI for .04-.07 with supporting evidence. IMO there should be a ticket-level offense at .03 ish to raise awareness, of, gosh, if it were a bit more it'd be jail time. (In particular the insurance bump would be sobering.) But the way it's enforced it's all-or-nothing.

And I know someone who got a couple small misdemeanors (not OUIs). The way he's wired, punishments don't punish him. I completely understand (not endorse) repeat offenders. As much fun as it is to prattle that "we should make the jails more miserable-- baloney sandwiches, pink underpants" there are some who you just can't shame into the straight and narrow.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: dishdude
There is a big difference between driving after 2 drinks with dinner, and driving after hitting bar after bar all night long.

Personally I think .08 is way too low to set the limit for intoxication. .08 is a drink or two with dinner, and at that point driving or crossing the street is not at all dangerous. When you get to .12-.16 that changes.

.08 is not a drink or two (unless you have really large servings). The online calculator says at 195 pounds, if I drink a bottle of wine over a 3 hour period, then I am .0825. If I did this, not only would I be not fit to drive, but I would be snoozing.

Whatever the punishment is, it's not enough. It leaves too many repeat offenders on the road, and they do repeat.

I was the only survivor at 12 years old in a drunk driving accident that killed my whole family. The other driver was also killed. He had 5 previous convictions and was still driving with a valid driver's license at the time of the accident. I was told he was three times over the limit.

I became an instant orphan and spent 5 years in and out of hospitals recovering from injuries. I was in junior high school at the time and other kids called me a freak because of the facial injuries, plaster casts, crutches and often times a wheel chair, and pushed me around. I would attack them back and hit them with my crutches. I got bumped around in foster care by people that saw me as a ticket toward monthly payments for what ever they could avoid spending on me.

While I was in the hospital gasping for every breath and crazy with pain I made a promise to myself that I would never drink because I did not want to be like the driver that changed my life. I've kept that promise to this day and I've never even been in a bar or tavern for a drink, ever.

When I turned 17 I left and never looked back.

They have gotten a little stiffer with penalties here in the last few years. Our culture here is so much involved with drinking that they were lenient for a long time. [censored] the town I live in has a festival just about every weekend in the summer. Cops would just tell you to drive straight home or they would give you ride. I remember at bartimes cops would drive past the bars so everybody knew when it was safe to drive home. Police shift changes were made common knowledge and everyone would know when to leave.It has been a hard transition for some after so many years of no worries. The first one is basically a slap on the wrist and a couple tickets. After that it goes up to possible jail time and a lot more money, 3rd is a felony. Yet on the news there's always somebody that got their fifth or sixth. I have seen as high as 12, and I think to myself how the [censored] is has this person had the chance to get more then 2-3?

Originally Posted By: Phishin

So I choose recovery today.

Your entire post: Thank you. I removed everything except the most important part going forward.

Back in the 90s I spoke with someone from Germany about their DUI laws, they are very strict and at that time required an equivalent of over $2000 US to reinstate, with a mandatory 6 month training class. Repeat offenders got jail time - period.

I am waiting for Shannow to chime in with Oz's Drink Driving laws, IIRC they are very strict and dependent on the level of intoxication.

Any way you cut it, driving under the influence is a bad thing. If you want to play Russion Roulette by yourself, fine. But don't drive a car and involve others.

20 years ago I was riding along with my brother's friend, a cop with the Homestead, FL police dept. We waited outside a bar with the lights off, followed people leaving and headed home, sure enough they had trouble staying in their lane and we pulled them over.

Robert did a field sobriety test and the people would fail, be arrested and taken to jail for booking. The law is VERY simple.

Over the limit, under arrest.

ZERO excuse for driving drunk, no matter your age, color, sex, race, income level, etc....

Despite strict penalties in this country for drink driving, there are no tests, agreed upon limits nor enforceable tests for drug driving.

I am not saying there are an excuses for driving drunk. I am saying its how you deal with the people after a DUI. The Rockefeller Laws did not really work well dealing with drugs, just filled up the jails.

Treatment is the solution for drugs and also for people who drink too much.

BIL going through second DWI in texas, still unknown as to the full punishment, but the process/punishment is dragged out, slow, and obviously expensive.

Last edited:
It's funny how alcohol is exempt from the war on drugs. Addictive neurotoxins sponsored and taxed by our loving Governments make me sad. Same goes for tobacco.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
It's funny how alcohol is exempt from the war on drugs. Addictive neurotoxins sponsored and taxed by our loving Governments make me sad. Same goes for tobacco.
There is nothing wrong with alcohol, its just the choices people make when under the influence. I walk home if Ive been out. Rain, snow, freezing temps, I get my exercise in it. Lol

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I am waiting for Shannow to chime in with Oz's Drink Driving laws, IIRC they are very strict and dependent on the level of intoxication.

Here, the law states that judged are to consider higher BACs as an aggravating factor when sentencing, and to increase fines or consider jail (or more jail) when that factor exists. Now, our legal limit is .08. You don't get charged unless you're at .10, because the instrument's error bar is .01. So, if you're at .09, you could actually be at .08, so you would be acquitted. The one judge absolutely hated alcohol related offences, and if someone was around .12, she considered that an excessive high reading and started piling on the dollars for fines.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
They have gotten a little stiffer with penalties here in the last few years. Our culture here is so much involved with drinking that they were lenient for a long time. [censored] the town I live in has a festival just about every weekend in the summer. Cops would just tell you to drive straight home or they would give you ride. I remember at bartimes cops would drive past the bars so everybody knew when it was safe to drive home. Police shift changes were made common knowledge and everyone would know when to leave.It has been a hard transition for some after so many years of no worries. The first one is basically a slap on the wrist and a couple tickets. After that it goes up to possible jail time and a lot more money, 3rd is a felony. Yet on the news there's always somebody that got their fifth or sixth. I have seen as high as 12, and I think to myself how the [censored] is has this person had the chance to get more then 2-3?

I'm always saddened when I think of how lenient our OWI laws are. Heck, it takes 4 offenses to get to the point of a felony, and the fine to be more than $1,000. The suspension of a license is also a joke, as most won't stop driving.

I'm of the opinion that the first offense should be a felony and mandatory jail time of 1 year, and that's only if there are no extenuating circumstances like infractions of other traffic laws or accidents.

But then I see the yearly surveys showing WI to be the drunkest state in the union year after year, and bars in small town situated next door to the local church. We really need to get our priorities in order. The church I was married in is no less than 100 feet from two bars. Really?

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

I'm always saddened when I think of how lenient our OWI laws are. Heck, it takes 4 offenses to get to the point of a felony, and the fine to be more than $1,000. The suspension of a license is also a joke, as most won't stop driving.

But then I see the yearly surveys showing WI to be the drunkest state in the union year after year, and bars in small town situated next door to the local church. We really need to get our priorities in order. The church I was married in is no less than 100 feet from two bars. Really?

I figured you were from WI before the end of the posting. I don't think Wisconsin could afford to build enough prison space to hold everyone. And who would be left to guard them? Tavern on every corner.

13 years in AA. No DUIs but, deserved many, No accidents but, was lucky others were driving defensively. Took 10+ years to recover my self respect. Ed

All states are too soft on drunk drivers. First offense should be 15 years, second offense, LWOP or a firing squad. No exceptions.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

So I choose recovery today.

Sounds like you got a second chance and made the best of a bad situation. Stay strong and keep up the good work. How old were you when this happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back