Driving though deep water

It 'always' does. (anecdotal evidence of cultural lore caliber)

Is SETX a term like SEPTA (South East Pennsylvania Transit Authority)?
Also, is it pronounced See-Tex or Set-X or something?
Ya lost me. ;)

The owners manual for my car says after driving through deep water you gotta change the transfer case, ATF and differential oil. The breathers are all at about floor height. That would still be almost 2ft of water to get the breathers underwater, and you almost have to go out of state or drive off the end of the boat ramp to find that much water.

Even with high breathers?

Been through some water with my Xterra and Frontier - they don't call it "lowcountry" for nothing. Deepest maybe only 18 inches. both diff's and trans have breathers very high. I have drained them all after one particular crazy outing and everything was lube only?
Road to my camp can go under a foot and a half - the depth is not the issue - it‘s over a mile section at about 5 mph …

I think the drivers of company vehicles really don't care. It's not their vehicle.
Are you projecting? As someone who frequently drives a company car I absolutely don't want the vehicle to be unsafe or to fail and leave me stranded.

We did that with our engine at the firehouse responding to a call. Dark corner, no lights, very heavy rain, Hydrolocked the motor. Commissioners were not happy. Driver's new nickname is Capt Nemo. Who would think that an emergency vehicle has the air intake down at bottom of bumper height.

I never had to drive though more than 6-8 inches of water. Deeper than that I would turn around and find another way.
Looking at this video, a lot of people people don't realize it can cost them thousands in engine repairs.

Don’t forget ingress contamination through the axle vents as well… if they have not been modified with a higher vent point, the water will enter the diffs and make one heck of a mess, even if the engine survived!

I'd worry about the wheel bearings first. Then I'd worry about everything else.
Yeah, that's when I stop with everything, bikes, Atv, cars, tractor. I don't mind doing some maintenance but I haven't needed to get to the otherside bad enough to make it worth the time repacking or replacing bearings... And I go slow so hydrolocking isn't an issue.

I, uh, accidentally took a Subaru for a swim years ago. Made a U turn in the 9th day of constant rain in an unfamiliar area. The “U” involved a dropout I couldn’t see through the flooded water. It was a Christmas dinner with a first date in a black dress in the passenger seat. I somehow had the presence of mind to kill the ignition as the entire passenger side of the car went under. I looked at the sky through my window, saw the water under hers, and said, “I think you’re getting out on my side.”

the entire engine was submerged. More than half the dash, including my new Sony cassette player.

3 hours later we had it pulled out. Car started and ran no problem. Drove it 300 miles the next day in the snow. I pulled up all the carpet after that trip and did what I could to dry it out. Never had any issues with the car except it would smell funny on rainy days. BUT, I was indeed an early bitoger and changed fluids regularly.

I’ve never driven through more than 6” or so. If we get water over the roads here, it’s usually moving pretty good and not worth chancing it. I think my Raptor owners manual said 32” of water fording capability but that would make me uncomfortable.

I´m confident up to knee deep water with a sedan like a Camry. Enter the water slowly and ¨ride behind the wake¨

Road to my camp can go under a foot and a half - the depth is not the issue - it‘s over a mile section at about 5 mph …
....and staying on the road, when it floods, roads are not straight, 2 ft current pushing you downstream, and nothing other than power line poles to stave your direction....no thanks.

My daughters friend in mums Range Rover and her 17 year old friends were doing a tour of their friends homes in NH beach towns during excessive high tide storm. They put in water mode and went for it no issues. I saw some precarious SnapChat photos of it but below gives the jist. Lots of rocks in road too.

1706700632556.jpeg

No. Just the way I see company vehicles driven suggests they tend to drive it like they stole it.
I live in the desert, where there's lots of wide smooth-ish dirt roads. When you see an Amazon van going 40+ and catching up to the side by sides and dirt bikes, you know it's not the driver's van.

Back