DOT 3 in a honda?

I'm having my mechanic flush my brake fluid tomorrow. He advised that I use Honda dot 3, but said I didn't want to pay that much I could use cheaper store brand dot 3.

What's the benefits oem fluid?

Some years back there was an issue with seals in Toyotas, and it was attributed to the brake fluid and additives. In other words, the aftermarket fluid wasn’t additized to the same level, causing issues.

Maybe it’s a fluke, and maybe it’s a non issue with quality fluids. But potentially, if no-name bargain fluids are used, there is the odd chance of an issue.

DOT 4 is the only fluid i use now. backwards compatible with DOT 3 just with a higher boiling point. i flush it at every brake job as it can collect water.
The DOT 4 is definitely a higher boiling point but it absorbs moister quicker than DOT 3 and it's performance degrades quicker then DOT 3 as a result. I use DOT4 as well but, like you, do a fluid flush at each brake service or sooner if my tester shows more than 3-4% water.

Some years back there was an issue with seals in Toyotas, and it was attributed to the brake fluid and additives. In other words, the aftermarket fluid wasn’t additized to the same level, causing issues.

Maybe it’s a fluke, and maybe it’s a non issue with quality fluids. But potentially, if no-name bargain fluids are used, there is the odd chance of an issue.
THIS was huge, and the Honda crowd had the mindset of "see Toyota, we have Honda that is Japan too so the same here". It was a thing.

I liked how the little bottles of Honda DOT 3 were... little. So for certain brake repairs, I didn't have to crack open a big bottle and waste it. I don't know, it was fun years ago getting all OE stuff from the dealer when doing certain jobs. Thats about it. Any brake fluid that is DOT 3/4 will be fine.

I agree DOT4 is the way to go. I used to buy Pentosin DOT4 from RockAuto pretty affordably. Bonus they came in a metal can which made the not-owning anything German redneck American in me giddy feeling I had a premium product.

For brake fluid? None. Federal regulations mean it's all the same stuff regardless of brand.

The benefit to the mechanic is he can just order his parts and materials from one place.
Not true. The low temp viscosity and additive package can vary significantly from brand to brand. While the performance may be acceptable, it may not always be optimal.

Flushing it regularly is more important than what brand you use. Honda says to do it every 3 years, and if you do that, even Walmart DOT3 is fine.

Are you still under warranty? The newer Hondas have a MM code for the brake fluid, but older ones just said every 3 years.

That said, I'd still upgrade to something like Bosch ESI6.

My 285,000 mile Accord and 185,000 Acura have never had OEM fluid in them once I flushed it out. It has always been changed with (usually) some form of Valvoline Dot 3/4. Not that I thought it was a better fluid, it was just easy to get in big bottles and cost effective. Both are on their original calipers, lines, ABS pumps, Etc.

Eventually they'll get switched over to Bosch EITS? ETIS? whatever that stuff is.

For brake fluid? None. Federal regulations mean it's all the same stuff regardless of brand.

FMVSS 116 sets out minimum conformity standards, like boiling points, but that doesn't preclude fluids from exceeding those standards.

Typ200 and ESI6 to name two.

And before words like "good enough," "meets standards," or "don't need something better" get thrown out, please submit a detailed affidavit confirming your particular vehicles receive only fluids and filters that conform to minimum OEM standards, and not the higher quality filters, or the fluid brands that are used and discussed here.

Or does the BITOG Brake System Exemption Rule (Lifetime Fill) again apply?

Toyota and Honda fluids have a different formulation - so much so that some recalls mention if a aftermarket fluid is used, noise or a leak at the MC can occur.

That said, I typically stick to German DOT4 fluids. Never had an issue.

Flushing it regularly is more important than what brand you use. Honda says to do it every 3 years, and if you do that, even Walmart DOT3 is fine.

Are you still under warranty? The newer Hondas have a MM code for the brake fluid, but older ones just said every 3 years.

That said, I'd still upgrade to something like Bosch ESI6.

I have a newer one and it seems like 2 years. Could be milage based as well, but I completed 4 years of ownership and it's asking me to do the second change.

The fluid is pretty dark.
Shine a flashlight thru the reservoir - it may not be as dark as you think.

As long as you remove the screen from the reservoir and fully empty it before starting the flush, you can get it done with 1 qt (or less). If your mechanic uses a pneumatic/vacuum bleeder, I would insist that they follow up with a manual bleed - otherwise you will always get some amount of air in the system.

Back