Does timing belt vs chain influence your used car decisions?

Are you less inclined to buy an older car with an engine that has a timing belt instead of a chain, knowing that a belt replacement will add hundreds to the actual cost of the vehicle? Do you try to avoid cars with timing belts altogether, or do you not care?

I’m looking at a V6 Lexus with 166k miles. I’m planning on having the timing belt and water pump replaced if I buy it, which will add hundreds to the actual cost. Another vehicle with a chain wouldn’t have that extra cost, possibly making it a better buy even if the initial cost was a few dollars more. Do you care?

Yes, I wouldn't buy another car with a timing belt. It's just too much money to shell out IMO. We had a Honda Accord that we ran up to about 85,000 miles and had the dealer install a new timing belt, water pump, tensioner and belt and maybe a couple other things. Put the car up for sale with the receipt and it sold immediately.

Are you less inclined to buy an older car with an engine that has a timing belt instead of a chain, knowing that a belt replacement will add hundreds to the actual cost of the vehicle? Do you try to avoid cars with timing belts altogether, or do you not care?

I’m looking at a V6 Lexus with 166k miles. I’m planning on having the timing belt and water pump replaced if I buy it, which will add hundreds to the actual cost. Another vehicle with a chain wouldn’t have that extra cost, possibly making it a better buy even if the initial cost was a few dollars more. Do you care?

I absolutely care when buying used.

Its no longer a differentiator for me when buying new since the advent of direct injection a chain is no longer a guarantee of anything.

If the owners can't prove he did the belt/ WP/ rollers then I'll take 1800 off the top of my offer to them (for a v6)

I almost think I'd rather have the timing belt, nasty job that it is, given how many timing chains don't last--and the cost to repair those. Yes I know, some aren't that bad, so it's a case by case basis. An LS motor is probably a piece of cake, while a number of timing belt cars it's a royal pain. That aside, if I go in thinking I will need to do a TB up front (who knows how well a recently done TB is -- did the owner just have the belt replaced, reusing as much as possible, so as to shave every dollar?), then build that into my expectations.

What might be ideal is to get one that hasn't had it done, and the owner knows it, and prices accordingly.

It depends. A belt will need replacing for sure, and it's a PITA. But a chain isn't always the lifetime part that it should be, and if it fails you're in a worse situation than having a belt.
That said, I'll take a well engineered lifetime chain over a belt.

On a used car I VASTLY prefer a belt over a chain. You just have to factor in a chain, guides and tensioner replacement or you'll get bitten. We're talking thousands, not hundreds vs a belt

Belt vs chain would definitely be a factor in considering a used car. But a belt wouldn't be a no go. If the belt was was due for replacement and had been done, then no problem. If the belt is due, but easy to do, no problem. If the belt is due and very difficult to do, how much will the seller negotiate, to compensate for it?

A belt wouldn't influence my buying decision. I have always changed them myself and a belt itself is not expensive. It is also easier to deal with versus a timing chain.

Last edited:
YES!!!!! Especially if it's interference :D

Timing belts are stupid, and the new ones in oil are even worse :poop:

Is the V6 Lexus an ES330? Because that has the 3MZ, which is interference. The earlier 1MZ also has a timing belt, but it's non-interference. How much more for the newer ES350 with the timing chain 2GR? :unsure:

I think one part of the car buying work should be, doing research on the type of engine there is in the car your looking at. And how expensive is is to do repairs on it. Things like how often do parts last on average, and how much is it to repair. Is it a interference engine ?. Will a water pump replacement require the engine to be removed?. Is the engine prone to overheating, or blowing head gaskets?. Do the spark plugs freeze in place after 100k miles ?. Nothing like getting the surprise $2500 repair bill on a 4 year old car.,,,

Back