Does oil have a shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very simple rule: If it is a new car, then use new oil. If car is one year old, you can use oil that is up to one year old as well. If car is 5 years old, then 5 year old oil will work. Likewise, if ur car is 10 yrs old, then oil from ur 10 yr stash is fine. same for 15 years, and so on. Just make sure the oil is all SM. It is not worth using any SL oil - it was probably very cheap when you bought it, so no big loss. All SM (conventional of course) oil is group 2, and is much superior to anything in the past, so anything not SM, use it when u change ur neighbours oil for them, but not for ur own baby. This is the rule I have always been following, and so far I have had no catastrophe, and no engine has gone on to grenade on me. Some very old synthetics were no good, and above rule does not apply.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Does oil have a shelf life?

Specifically, I have kept an extra quart of Mobil 1 in all my cars in case I need it. I probably should have rotated this quart when I do oil changes, but I have not been.

If oil is several years old is it still okay?

I asked a few of the oil companies about shelf life, and they generally say 5 years. I've used oil that was older than that without any problems. If you're concerned, shake the oil before using.

This doesn't apply to you, but is a general statment, make sure it's the spec oil your car calls for before using it. HTH

Originally Posted By: vregan
This brings up a question for a 'newbie' like me: there are only about 5 days between the start of these two threads, but I've found that using the 'search' feature doesn't really go back very far. Am I doing something wrong, are there stickies I can refer to on common questions or an FAQ section?

The default search range (on the right hand side of the search screen) is "newer than 1 week". Change it to whatever date range you're looking for.

All oil older than 3 years in garbage and should be taken to a proper recycle facility. PM TallPaul or myself and we'll take care of you..
wink.gif

I called Shell Canada before buying a 10 jug stash of PP and they told me 7 years would be no problem if stored indoors, preferably somewhere cool and dry like a basement. So I put up a shelf in my basement so I can look at my stash in all it's glory for the next 3 years
thumbsup2.gif

My oil has a shelf life. I rotate the bottles so that they can be exposed to various different grades over their shelf lives. I think it is a good psycological stimulus for them. How would you like to sit on a shelf next to the same people for many years. Rotation is the key.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
My oil has a shelf life. I rotate the bottles so that they can be exposed to various different grades over their shelf lives. I think it is a good psycological stimulus for them. How would you like to sit on a shelf next to the same people for many years. Rotation is the key.
crazy2.gif

LOL.gif

My poor PP.. they'll only see each other. Maybe I should buy a few jugs of cheap DINO and mix the party up a bit.

crazy2.gif

I have three shelves,so each bottle takes a turn at being on top,bottom and middle. Harmonious oil is key!

We do know that there is additive separation over time so in any case, I would shake the container to remix, especially if adding a partial quart. Since oil specifications and engine requirements change, I don't see the value of stocking up on oil for use 5 years from now. My stash seldom exceeds one year expected use.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
We do know that there is additive separation over time so in any case, I would shake the container to remix, ...
Ah yes, periodically my oil stash has a dance party and gets all shook up.

Yes, generally FIFO and LILO.

crazy2.gif

Oh, no - my poor, single liter of SL Syntec Blend 5W-30 sitting in my closet all by its lonesome is going to have issues!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
crazy2.gif

Oh, no - my poor, single liter of SL Syntec Blend 5W-30 sitting in my closet all by its lonesome is going to have issues!
You have a moral responsibility to stock up. Go out and buy some oil!

My liter bottles of Mobil-1 ESP formula 5W-30 certainly have a expiration date stamped on the bottle. The expiration date is 05/2013. So it would appear that Mobil has given a 5 year shelf life for this product.

My liter bottles of Castrol SLX Professional LL03 5W-30 also has a 'filling date' stamped on the bottle. I'm sure this holds some significance. These bottles were filled on 21/07/08 (July 21, 2008). Both of these products are made in the European Union someplace.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
I have a very simple rule: If it is a new car, then use new oil. If car is one year old, you can use oil that is up to one year old as well. If car is 5 years old, then 5 year old oil will work. Likewise, if ur car is 10 yrs old, then oil from ur 10 yr stash is fine. same for 15 years, and so on. Just make sure the oil is all SM. It is not worth using any SL oil - it was probably very cheap when you bought it, so no big loss. All SM (conventional of course) oil is group 2, and is much superior to anything in the past, so anything not SM, use it when u change ur neighbours oil for them, but not for ur own baby. This is the rule I have always been following, and so far I have had no catastrophe, and no engine has gone on to grenade on me. Some very old synthetics were no good, and above rule does not apply.

In some countries, like here in Australia, SM oils can also be GRoup 1 blended with 10% or so GRoup 3, or slightly more Group 2.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Question:
Shelf Life of Unopened Mobil 1 Quarts
Does Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (in an unopened quart) have any sort of shelf life, like conventional motor oil?
-- John Lantz, Littleton, CO

Answer:
ExxonMobil recommends a five year maximum shelf-life for engine oils, including Mobil 1.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mobil1_Shelf_Life.aspx

Doesn't mean squat unless there have been some scientific tests conducted to substantiate that. They are just giving the "safe" answer, which is advantageous to them in case you have any old Mobil 1 laying around and they can get you to toss it and buy some new Mobil 1 (or some other synthetic brand to whom they supply the PAO base stock).

Originally Posted By: typ901
Answer:
ExxonMobil recommends a five year maximum shelf-life for engine oils, including Mobil 1.

It used to be 10 years according to their web site some years back. I'm curious why they changed the recommendation, especially since oils have supposedly improved over the years. Does this change come from sound science or from the jesters in marketing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back