Does oil have a shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Specifically, I have kept an extra quart of Mobil 1 in all my cars in case I need it. I probably should have rotated this quart when I do oil changes, but I have not been.

If oil is several years old is it still okay?

define "several" years?

If the oil hasn't been opened and within 3 yrs time, it is still usable.

I wouldn't bother with oils thats been sitting around for 10+yrs, not even my lowly B&S lawnmower.

Q.

Geeze...I hope not (stash addicted).

I don't really think there is a shelf life per se, other than you may get some sort of settling to the bottom of the bottles (which can rectified by a quick shake & a 180). I've had this "problem" w/Mobil 1 bought back in '04 w/rebates...probably still won't burn through that for another few years.

Last edited:
usually 3 years if it's stored properly (i mean no water getting in, no direct exposure to run, and not in a freezing place.)

When I had a big stash of GC 0w30, some of the stuff I was running was 3-4 years old by the time I put it in the engines, and the UOAs came back perfectly fine.

I would just start useing the one quart in the car every oil change, and replacing that with a new quart.

It should be fine for some years though.

just keep it refrigerated.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner

Specifically, I have kept an extra quart of Mobil 1 in all my cars in case I need it. I probably should have rotated this quart when I do oil changes, but I have not been.

If oil is several years old is it still okay?

DO NOT USE!!!

Pack it up and send it to me,I'll dispose of it properly!
wink.gif

The last time I check, the Mobil web site said that their unopened Mobil 1 oil was good for at least 10 years.

Originally Posted By: AndyH
Read this thread for some recent discussion of oil 'shelf life':
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=1&Number=1388511

This brings up a question for a 'newbie' like me: there are only about 5 days between the start of these two threads, but I've found that using the 'search' feature doesn't really go back very far. Am I doing something wrong, are there stickies I can refer to on common questions or an FAQ section?

I have emailed Pennzoil & Mobil and both set their shelf life for a factory sealed container stored indoors at 60 months. Stored in an unheated building 24 months if subjected to freezing temps. Once opened the shelf life is 12 months.

I don't know where some get the three year number, but I've used Delo SAE30 that was bottled in 2001 and GTX Drive Hard 10W40 that had a 2002 date on it with no problems.

If anyone has any three year old oil they're getting rid of, let me know!
thumbsup2.gif

I figure if it lived in the ground for millions of years it'll survive my garage for ten.

I just finished off some gear oil from the 1990s that looked fine.

John

Is there any scientific data on this that is based on rigorous testing, as opposed to "educated guesses" and speculation?

If not, here is my speculation: If oil can last for up to a year inside a crankcase that has 7500 miles on it, I would think it would last a lot longer in a plastic bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back