Does Anyone Find the New Camry's Styling Offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Front not so bad. Not a fan of the huge door/tiny side glass look that started with the chrysler 300.

Old camrys had those stupid corporate "squinty" headlights that stretch halfway around the fenders. And the slab sides were too plain, the needed a stronger, more contrasty rub strip on the doors, better body crease or something.

I'm all for plain and inoffensive, but this generation Camry is downright ugly! I thought the 2000-2001 Camry looked a bit like an Alfa Romeo, which isn't a bad thing. That design was very plain but not offensive.

The side of the car doesn't look too bad, but it doesn't look great either. It's just an average looking design. The front and rear are ugly though IMO. I don't like the grille, in particular the weird dip where the badge goes. The attempted Bangle butt rear doesn't look good either.

Their are some elements I like and some I do not like. It can not be that Ugly if GM keeps morphing their sheetmetal of the Malibu to look more adnmore like a Camry each year! It has gotten so bad that even though I live in GM country almost everyone thinks I drive a Malibu. I stoped correcting people this year!

Personally since you mentioned it....

I find the VW Golf rear end (the boxy style) to be some kind rump staring at me. This boxy golf I find absolutely repugnant. I expect better of VW this is not the funky 60's. The Nissan Versa has that similarity but it has less of a nauseating affect. There is also a Honda...Del Sol maybe whose exact model name is alluding me which appearence is sickening to me.

To the original poster I think the new Honda Accord and Toyota Camry are moving toward upscale markets. The days of the utilitarian Accord are changing from the working mans car to that of the middle class and beyond.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
I think the Camry looks beautiful. Now the new Accord on the other hand is ugly. It looks like a BMW 5 series. You know, since they started with the "new" styling.

The new Accord is hot. You get the look of a Bimmer and the reliability, durability, and low maintenance of a Honda. My wife's friends bought a brand new Bimmer 535 only to see an Accord a few days later and wishing they had gone with the Accord instead. They have a similar Accord to my O2 but a earlier year. I guess some people have more money than common sense and patient to look around before purchasing.

Last edited:
I'm more concerned about the way the interior is laid out than the external appearance. I can't see it when I'm driving anyway. If want to pay for good looks, I'll buy some artwork for the living room.

Toyota's styling inspiration:

elephant%20seal%20bull%20waving.jpg

Originally Posted By: edhackett

haha, I got one for the Prius:
ugg.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edhackett

The sounds about right. The only modern Camry I like is from the late 90s to 2001 of 4th and 5th generations.

Last edited:
Even since the introduction of Lexus in 1989 Toyota has used the same styling themes for the Camry and the LS. I've watched this through every iteration of both cars since then, and it holds true today.

2009_lexus_ls600h_76_768x576.jpg

2010camry5.jpg

I don't think it's anymore worse than the Accord. Now the new Accord CrossTour -- that is Ugly! (down right offensive). Venza looks 100x better.

I think it's OK.

It will never be mistaken for anything other than a Toyota.

That may be exactly what the stylists intended.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Their are some elements I like and some I do not like. It can not be that Ugly if GM keeps morphing their sheetmetal of the Malibu to look more adnmore like a Camry each year! It has gotten so bad that even though I live in GM country almost everyone thinks I drive a Malibu. I stoped correcting people this year!
When I saw the new Malibu, I got the impressiom that the designers tool their cue from Acura instead of Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back