Dodge Caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone out there driving a Caliber? The reviews on the '07 were not very flattering. However, this was the first model year for the car so bugs are to be expected. I found a used 2011 Caliber with 481 miles at the dealership for $12,200. Curious as to any experiences people have had with the '11 Caliber before I get serious about this car.

That sounds like a good price on the vehicle. I'd be cautious though and have it checked out thoroughly, including for any flood damage.

I have limited experience but I can tell you my experience.
I had been in an 07, it was a truly horrid piece of kit.
I was later in a model at least 2010, the interior materials and somehow the entire feel of the car was better. Enough to the point where I actually thought it was a decent car. They were both regular SXT trim. I am not sure quite what they changed but that second one I was in was much nicer and I believe it was quieter in the cabin as well.

If you can compare with a 2007 you'd easily be able to see the difference.

I had a look round one at the Motor Show when they came out in the UK and was shocked at the poor level of interior fit and finish.

But they looked a bit different and had decent interior space.

When the wife was looking for a new car I went to a large Car Supermarket (Cargiant) to look for a 3yr old ex fleet motor.

There was a diesel Caliber with leather and we thought it would fit the bill, I had wrongly assumed the build quality of the show car would not be representative as maybe it was a pre production car.

No, interior finish was the same and we didn't buy, sharp edges, mismatched hard plastics and iffy interior trim fitment. The car had low miles with full history as was an ex management car for Dodge.

Economy was only OK, though performance figures were excellent.

I still like the look of them but they need to improve build.

For example my Volvo has no disernable wear on the interior apart from were my work boots marked the floor, but it has done nigh on 120k now, should have fitted mats!

Perhaps there is an owners forum where you can research common faults.

My two favorite things about it(rented a few times)

1) Hatchback form
2) Returning the rental

That all being said a long test drive will be the true test. I noticed little change in them from 2007-2010 but again just rentals.

Is there anything I can examine on a test drive to spot flood damage?.... Yes, the interior of the Caliber leaves alot to be desired and the fuel economy is average at best. I have three dogs so the next car will be a hatchback. I test drove a Caliber over the weekend and it is "good enough". I don't need anything out of a car except some comfort and practicality. The Caliber I mentioned above is a manual (I want nothing to do with the Dodge CVT tranny) so that will help in the fuel economy department.

Last edited:
I have rented these and they aren't that bad. They suffer from the cheap Diamler interiors of the late 2000's, but otherwise are a pretty decent vehicle with a lot of utility. Even though the one you're look at is a manual, just as an FYI the CVT is made by Jatco, the same company that makes all the Nissan CVTs.

Resale is going to suck, but at $12k you're benefiting from that.

I own an '08 Compass (same platform as the Caliber) and I'm very happy with it. It has 100,000 miles and has only needed regular preventative maintenance. My prior vehicle was a Toyota Matrix.

It's a very utilitarian vehicle that does a lot of things very well but at the same time, doesn't really stand out in any of them. Depending on how you look at it or what your needs are, this could be good or bad.

I bought mine new, primarily because it was going for $5,000+ less than comparable vehicles.

If looking for a cheap car that needs to be a hatch isn't the Chrysler Sebring a hatchback?

I think they look quite nice and always seem well appointed.

But then again I have never sat in one and they seem to only come with the 2.4 petrol engine, they did a diesel version, probably the same Diesel engine as fitted to UK PT Cruisers and Caliber.

Out of the Outlander, Compass, and Patriot siblings, the Caliber is probably the least desirable.

If I'm not mistaken, the Caliber manual has the 1.8 variant of the GEMA engine and is fairly gutless compared to it's sisters' 2.0 and 2.4s.

I do know that the Caliber manual I drove was a base model with stereo and air. No cooled cupholders or power windows. Plain steel wheels and plastic covers. It made the base PT Cruiser and HHR LS seem loaded and torquey by comparison. If I was going for a base model, I would probably just get an HHR or a Patriot

Even in SRT/4 guise, I cannot get past the significant ugly factor in the Caliber. It's like they looked at the Malibu Maxx and said, "That's a good idea...let's go ugly but practical!" The current Compass is okay but it's predecessor is nearly as ugly as the Caliber. I like the Patriot and Outlander Sport just fine

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Even in SRT/4 guise, I cannot get past the significant ugly factor in the Caliber. It's like they looked at the Malibu Maxx and said, "That's a good idea...let's go ugly but practical!" The current Compass is okay but it's predecessor is nearly as ugly as the Caliber. I like the Patriot and Outlander Sport just fine

I don't think the exterior is bad looking. The front clip looks just like a modern day Aries K car.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
My two favorite things about it(rented a few times)

1) Hatchback form
2) Returning the rental

That all being said a long test drive will be the true test. I noticed little change in them from 2007-2010 but again just rentals.

Had them several times as rentals as well. My only favorite thing was #2 in rjundi's list above.

The Caliber is a hateful little car, poorly designed and built even worse out of some of the cheapest materials known to man. Completely gutless, horrible ergonomics/visibility, noisy and thirsty to boot. Marginally better than walking, but only just.

I like a small, basic car... but I like them when they're well designed & made.

Two things that makes it (2010 SXT) un-drivable.

1. Visibility of a pillbox, all the way around. Really, it's difficult to see from anywhere in the drivers seat. Parallel parking is a hope. And then, when I couldn't see out of it to begin with, it started to rain quite a bit at night. I had my entire body hunched forward, chin over the steering wheel trying to see whilst praying for a second chance at life.

2. If you understand what people mean when they say they feel a direct connection to the road through the steering wheel, well, the Caliber is the opposite of that. There's only one word for it, vague.

I shudder when my friend offers his car up for when we take a long roadtrip. That means I will have to switch up at some point.

edit: I just remembered, cruise control is in the most annoying position possible. You'll end up constantly whiffing at it before you must divert your eyes off the road and down to locate it. And its legs. All highway, you can go about 270-290 miles before it needs another drink. A nice thing if you have bladder control issues, I suppose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cutter
Two things that makes it (2010 SXT) un-drivable.

1. Visibility of a pillbox, all the way around. Really, it's difficult to see from anywhere in the drivers seat. Parallel parking is a hope. And then, when I couldn't see out of it to begin with, it started to rain quite a bit at night. I had my entire body hunched forward, chin over the steering wheel trying to see whilst praying for a second chance at life.

2. If you understand what people mean when they say they feel a direct connection to the road through the steering wheel, well, the Caliber is the opposite of that. There's only one word for it, vague.

I shudder when my friend offers his car up for when we take a long roadtrip. That means I will have to switch up at some point.

edit: I just remembered, cruise control is in the most annoying position possible. You'll end up constantly whiffing at it before you must divert your eyes off the road and down to locate it. And its legs. All highway, you can go about 270-290 miles before it needs another drink. A nice thing if you have bladder control issues, I suppose.

crackmeup2.gif

If you think the Caliber's steering is vague and unattached, drive a 3.5 Sebring Convertible.
I thought it would drive like my first gen 6G73 powered convertible. It doesn't. It has a LOT more power - then you go to put it into a corner and it eventually turns after you turn the wheel what seems like 2 full turns.
shocked.gif

I can't really complain about the cruise control. Seems like everybody moved the stalk there. My wife's old Eclipse, our current PT Cruiser, my co-worker's Camry...etc...all had the hidden cruise stub down at the 4:30 position on the wheel.

If it is a 2011, it has the new interior refresh, and a lot of upgrades vs the 2010 and earlier.

I dont see the big deal about the interior on the 07-09, no worse than the junk in say my MIL 08 Corrolla which has even a cheaper interior with the worst fit and finish I have scene in any car.

Go visit Allpar and they have a nice page outlining all the changes. If it has the 2.0 and 5spd manual it should be decent.

My father has an 07 SXT withCVT the 2.0 and CVT, has been bullet proof, never been back to the dealer for anything. It is an appliance no thrills car for cheap $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back