Do you tip pregnant waitress more ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is working hard and it's normal to leave a good tip on company credit card.

Shows employees they are not a jerk to give a little extra to this pregnant woman.

Originally Posted By: Kira
1) UncleDave said, "My wife does. "

It's a proven fact women tip other women better than average. A pregnant woman's tip could be looked at as a "baby gift" one stranger to another.
I actually have more problem with the boss being generous with someone else's money than the tip itself.

2) I find it amazing that the conversation about tipping is still going around. I fully understand having to explain anything to someone who comes from a country/culture where something doesn't exist but the concept, while potentially clumsy, should be well within our brain's capacity.

3) Here's one: In Germany, where the service charge is included (like lotsa other places) the locals can tip a tiny bit, often taking the paper and leaving the coins of their change.

4) What bothers me is that the perennial conversation overtipping seldom includes the line, "Servers get a lowered rate of pay in this land and the tip fills a gap. It's a fragile system fraught with confusion. Make the best of it and link your tip to service."

Mythbusters did an episode that included the question, "Do women with larger chests get bigger tips"

They found out not only did they compared to the average and smaller sisters, but women were likely to increase their tips even more than men.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: hpb
Gotta say, I hope the "tipping" thing never takes off here. The waitress is already getting paid by her employer to serve the customers, I see no need to pay her extra.

No tipping here either. She's on minimum wage, same as the girl on the check out or pumping gas...or my daughters, one in retail and another pedalling around town delivering mail. I'd love it if someone gave my daughter a tip on a cold wet day for delivering a bill, but it doesn't happen here.
Waitresses are NOT on standard minimum wage.

Waitresses are paid around $2-$3 an hour often. It's different for waitresses.

The posters you are quoting aren't from the US( NZ and AU )so things can be different there.

Last edited:
Having worked in that industry when times were tough, I definitely do now that times are better for me.

The assumptions made in this thread about the folks working as waitstaff are a certain way are just ridiculous. Your server could be a teacher, working their way through school, or needing some income while they are between jobs in their regular occupation. It seems the majority of posters in this thread clearly have not been in the situation of needing a job that can replace a decent chunk of income on fairly short notice. Been there, done that, have the well-worn but always cleaned between shifts shirts.

With waitstaff, you never know who is serving you your food unless you ask! Just blindly assuming they are in that job since they are "lazy" or "don't want to make anything of themselves" is the height of arrogance. And I've certainly seen a bunch of that in this thread.

/rant off

I tip well, so she would get a normal good tip. I travel the world just doing 11 flights in a month.
Some of these places? It is not customary to tip - so I just hide a tip. Nobody ever chased me outside to give it back.
People like these are working, they are trying - they are not laying around at home only getting up to check the mail for a taxpayer check

Mr Nice is right, the girlfriend and I have a friend of ours that's 25, and engaged and she works 2 jobs as well as being in college as she's almost done. She works at the local diner and is very attentive, honest and always checking on patrons. I always tip her too

I tip when the service is good and the kindness/smiles/friendliness nature of the waiter/waitress is ample. Put that together with an expectant mother and I'd probably be inclined to tip even more. I am always glad to see wonderful attitudes combined with hard work. Makes me think this country still has REAL hope.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

The posters you are quoting aren't from the US( NZ and AU )so things can be different there.

I just got back from Auckland, I have to say it was a little strange not tipping!

Originally Posted By: Bud
Nope. Size of my tip depends on the type of service they provide. No one gets a special sympathy tip.

x2

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Having worked in that industry when times were tough, I definitely do now that times are better for me.

The assumptions made in this thread about the folks working as waitstaff are a certain way are just ridiculous. Your server could be a teacher, working their way through school, or needing some income while they are between jobs in their regular occupation. It seems the majority of posters in this thread clearly have not been in the situation of needing a job that can replace a decent chunk of income on fairly short notice. Been there, done that, have the well-worn but always cleaned between shifts shirts.

With waitstaff, you never know who is serving you your food unless you ask! Just blindly assuming they are in that job since they are "lazy" or "don't want to make anything of themselves" is the height of arrogance. And I've certainly seen a bunch of that in this thread.

/rant off

+1000

Only if I got her pregnant!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: hpb
Gotta say, I hope the "tipping" thing never takes off here. The waitress is already getting paid by her employer to serve the customers, I see no need to pay her extra.

No tipping here either. She's on minimum wage, same as the girl on the check out or pumping gas...or my daughters, one in retail and another pedalling around town delivering mail. I'd love it if someone gave my daughter a tip on a cold wet day for delivering a bill, but it doesn't happen here.
Waitresses are NOT on standard minimum wage.

Waitresses are paid around $2-$3 an hour often. It's different for waitresses.

In NY they've gotten a bit of a bump in pay. Minimum wage here is $9 and servers now make $7.50 an hour, which is a significant bump since I waited and bartended, where it was all tips and the paycheck was just a small bonus...

What sort of money does a waiter earn ?

It's going to vary widely in the U.S. A server in a diner will maybe make a few hundred a week. Some in fine dining or a bartender in a high volume restaurant can earn a pretty decent middle class salary if on the lower end. Certainly enough to work their way through some schools. Some waiters in NYC will actually "sell" their job because they can make six figures in American ducats. I've known bartenders that easily cleared $50K in 1990's dollars while working less than 40 hours a week and having their pick of the female clientele and staff...

Originally Posted By: sciphi

/rant off

It's funny that I get the impression that the most insulting, judgemental trolls here are miserable shut-ins that lead boring lives with ugly wives, if they could get a woman to stay longer than 10 minutes...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
She is working hard and it's normal to leave a good tip on company credit card.

Shows employees they are not a jerk to give a little extra to this pregnant woman.

It's also a key part of sales (i.e. taking clients to lunch/dinner). No one wants to buy big ticket items from a cheap dicklick that treats people like excrement...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I just got back from Auckland, I have to say it was a little strange not tipping!

Which is totally understandable, as you've been brought up in a tipping culture. On the other hand, if I visited the US, I'd make a complete mess of it, not knowing who and how much I was meant to tip!

To answer the original question though, I wouldn't tip a pregnant waitress any extra just because she chose to have a baby. We have 4 kids, my wife was never paid any extra to turn up and do her job, and nor should she!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I tip when the service is good and the kindness/smiles/friendliness nature of the waiter/waitress is ample. Put that together with an expectant mother and I'd probably be inclined to tip even more. I am always glad to see wonderful attitudes combined with hard work. Makes me think this country still has REAL hope.

+1

I'd be more inclined to give an extra bit more to students or pregnant women IF they showed real work ethic, charm, friendliness, and gave great service. But those traits must be demonstrated first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back