Do you have a favorite fuel?

Costco (I don't know who they get it from to be honest) is my usual brand. When I am travelling and Costco is not convenient, Shell is my next brand.

I have not owned a diesel for 15 years but when I did, it was pretty much 100% Shell.

I've always used AMOCO/BP, Valero, Hess, Shell, ExxonMobil. Now that I am in the south I usually use Speedway, Circle K and Marathon. I like that Marathon has STP additives in their fuel.

Speedway diesel because I can use my open roads fuel card for a discount and it’s not B20! I get better mileage but does sound more diesel like than the Kwik Star B20.

For gas it’s the cheapest I can find and usually E88 which is E15. Not necessarily tool tier either. Usually Hy-Vee because we get fuel savers.

Just my $0.02

Any Top-tier fuel in 87 flavor. Fuel here is now $3.59 due to greed because the price per barrel has not gone up that much. I thought our government was over seeing this. Ed

Costco (I don't know who they get it from to be honest) is my usual brand. When I am travelling and Costco is not convenient, Shell is my next brand.

I have not owned a diesel for 15 years but when I did, it was pretty much 100% Shell.

Costco gets their fuel on the spot market. The fuel itself is commodity fuel that receives a minimum EPA detergent requirement. However, the vast majority of unleaded gasoline is commodity fuel where the source is nearly impossible to specify, although it might receive a proprietary detergent when it's loaded in the tanker.

Costco adds their proprietary detergent additive as it's being delivered. They have it stored in onsite tanks and they punch in the amount of fuel delivered which will then meter the detergent as it's being added.

The one caveat about Costco is that they don't shut down while they have deliveries, and the detergent is being added simultaneously. So they don't necessarily have a guarantee about their additive being mixed properly. It could theoretically be higher or lower than the overall "treatment rate" since it's still blending during delivery. But they meet the legal requirement to have a minimum detergent because it's a requirement that there be a minimum detergent content at the fuel depot, and that minimum detergent concentration should be properly mixed by the time it arrives as each Costco gas station.

Most gas stations have their detergent metered at the fuel depot so it's thoroughly mixed.

...So, do you have a "Go-To" fuel you often prefer?
I have never noticed any difference in how my vehicles run based on which brand of fuel I used. I now buy diesel for my BMW at the BP truck stop because of its high traffic volume (fresh diesel in theory), and my wife fuels up wherever it's convenient. I used to buy a lot of gas from Costco near my work (40 miles from home), but the don't sell diesel, so...

My children buy whatever is cheapest and their cars couldn't care less.

Costco gets their fuel on the spot market. The fuel itself is commodity fuel that receives a minimum EPA detergent requirement. However, the vast majority of unleaded gasoline is commodity fuel where the source is nearly impossible to specify, although it might receive a proprietary detergent when it's loaded in the tanker.

Costco adds their proprietary detergent additive as it's being delivered. They have it stored in onsite tanks and they punch in the amount of fuel delivered which will then meter the detergent as it's being added.

The one caveat about Costco is that they don't shut down while they have deliveries, and the detergent is being added simultaneously. So they don't necessarily have a guarantee about their additive being mixed properly. It could theoretically be higher or lower than the overall "treatment rate" since it's still blending during delivery. But they meet the legal requirement to have a minimum detergent because it's a requirement that there be a minimum detergent content at the fuel depot, and that minimum detergent concentration should be properly mixed by the time it arrives as each Costco gas station.

Most gas stations have their detergent metered at the fuel depot so it's thoroughly mixed.
So you say,
Costco adds their proprietary detergent additive as it's being delivered.
And then,
that minimum detergent concentration should be properly mixed by the time it arrives as each Costco gas station.
how can it mix by the time it arrives if added “as delivered”?

So you say,

And then,

how can it mix by the time it arrives if added “as delivered”?

There's a federal regulation that requires that the minimum EPA required treatment level be in fuel at the time it's ready for transport to the gas station. So they put that in - likely with whatever generic detergent additive is available at the "rack". It's going to be well blended by the time the tanker arrives at the gas station.

What Costco adds is supplemental and done at the gas station, although Top Tier accepts this as meeting their requirements. But it might be more or less concentrated if they're adding fuel and detergent at the same time. I remember reading a document on how they do it, and they enter the amount of fuel in a keypad and it dispenses the detergent as the fuel is being added to their tanks. I'd think if they shut down the gas station and gave it enough time to settle, it would be consistent. But I've been to a Costco gas station as the fuel was being delivered and people were pumping gas.

Some of the detergent tanks are above ground, but most are underground. Their detergent tank fill covers have this lavender color and I've seen them.

Irvings, they have a convenient spot for me where I usually fill up. And a decent number of them around me.

My car seems to run a little quieter on QuikTrip gas, but I buy whatever's cheapest, and the difference isn't really noticeable between QT, shell, 85, 87, 93, 95, it doesn't really matter on the flats with a 9:1 cr

Back