Do valve stems really need to be changed everytime?

i have a freind that has a tire machine and balancer. he said i could use it anytime . i want to start buying my tires online and installing them myself. i have always had this done at DT in the past. they always replaced the tire valve. i have never had a bad tire valve in the many years i have driven.

So is it really needed to replace them with every tire change?

I think it is more of a

It only takes a second and

It only costs pennies and

If it fails it will be a big pain in the rear and

Who knows how many years the tires will live before they're replaced so

Replace it every time you mount tires.

No way I would not do it.

Wish I had a friend with a tire machine back when I was racing and doing track days, would have saved some serious coin mounting my own tires.

I'm pretty sure most tire manufacturers spec a new valve at every tire change or at least every 4 years, whichever occurs first. Valve stem cores go also bad. My vehicles have TPMS. When I get new tires a TPMS service kit is part of the job.

On my bicycle, I replace the valve cores every year. Tubes get replaced every 3 years.

When I’ve watched them change my non-TPMS tires, the tech would cut off the rubber stem to remove it, and stick a new one on it. I was just fine with it, since I knew it was a very good chance I got all new valves and stems with no damage, cracking, etc., to be concerned about. I’ve not seen a tire guy reuse old valves… cheap insurance.

TPMS sensors? I’ll replace those after about 5 years even though they’re supposed to go longer. I’ve had them fail after reuse. I’m sure it’s why Walmart tire guys freak out if you ask them to reuse sensors. One guy even told me it was against the law!

Never knew a law degree was required for Walmart Tire and Lube… 🤣

Stems are cheap and figured in the mounting package so why not change them?

I'm not sure why but Costco did not change mine on the Lexus when I got new tires. How I can tell is that they are ORIGINAL to the car (mfg 9/05). Faux chrome, with real metal caps, and one is rubber, replaced when I had a bead leak. I kept the metal caps for posterity and they put on green ones.

When I pointed it out to another Costco who dealt with 1/4 leaking at the bead, they said why didn't you 1. take this back to the store who sold the tires (why should I) and 2. mention they didn't replace the valve stems

I "think" I'm covered if the valve stems fail, but here's a case where they were reused.

When they do my wife's there is I believe an add'l charge for some valve stem kit where they replace but use the same tpms.

When I’ve watched them change my non-TPMS tires, the tech would cut off the rubber stem to remove it, and stick a new one on it. I was just fine with it, since I knew it was a very good chance I got all new valves and stems with no damage, cracking, etc., to be concerned about. I’ve not seen a tire guy reuse old valves… cheap insurance.

TPMS sensors? I’ll replace those after about 5 years even though they’re supposed to go longer. I’ve had them fail after reuse. I’m sure it’s why Walmart tire guys freak out if you ask them to reuse sensors. One guy even told me it was against the law!

Never knew a law degree was required for Walmart Tire and Lube… 🤣
I replaced the tpms on my BMW and they were not cheap like $90 for the set, OEM not OE. But with German, identical and saves $.

My 2007 has unique caps that BMW does not sell, anyone who's into that stuff the way say a Graveyard Carz is when they restore, would be hard pressed to find the correct original valve stem caps. They are large and flat and have writing on them. I kept them and used the replacements that came with the TPMS.

My wife's are original from a 6/11 mfg date, but Costco has applied the valve stem "kit" 2X.

The GM is interesting, it has green caps unique to the tpms. They are bigger. When they have failed in the past, I've asked Costco for new ones, and they always say we don't have that, and give me normal green caps instead. I bought a bag of 100 on eBay lol

Never heard of any shop pushing tpms other than to upsell them

I use full-metal valve stems so I don’t really have to worry about it that much. I hate the flimsy rubber stems because the rubber will eventually crack and leak. It can be subtle where you just air up a little more often. Also, they wobble when you’re trying to put air in the darn things’.

They metal stems come in several styles and sizes. If you go this route, be sure you get full-metal and not just metal sleeved rubber stems.

IMG_2192.jpeg

Last edited:
Approximate cost, please?
I last time I bought mine, they about eight dollars per stem but they can range up to 12-buck or so. If your wheels are spot-faced, just make sure the base of the stem will fit within the circle. Not a very good photo but you get the idea. Just search metal valve stems. 🤷‍♂️
IMG_0328.jpeg

Last edited:
i have a freind that has a tire machine and balancer. he said i could use it anytime . i want to start buying my tires online and installing them myself. i have always had this done at DT in the past. they always replaced the tire valve. .......... i have never had a bad tire valve in the many years i have driven.

So is it really needed to replace them with every tire change?
I think you answered your own question.

Ford had to recall my 2005 to replace stems made from substandard rubber that would not last over 2 years

They pulled on them by hand and they broke.

So you never know, I use metal stems, and the gaskets will crack after a 5 years but the rubber under the washer is still shiny and soft.

Rod

If it fails it will be a big pain in the rear
Umm....no. You don't need to remove the tire to replace the valve. Just break the bead and slip in a new valve stem. I've had my own tire machine for 20 years and still have most of the bag of valve stems I bought at the same time. Unless they are obviously damaged, I don't change them.

My 1984 P/Up truck has the original rubber valve stem on the spare tire. The spare tire has been replaced 2x but I declined the valve to be replaced. So far no sign of cracks on the stem, no air leaks and the air pressure stays well.

Last edited:
I just had a cracked stem replaced on one of my cars and it was $35 total cost for one rim. Cheaper to put a fresh one on when you mount a new tire.
My Dodge and my zx40 DESTROY valve stems.

I’ve had to replace the rear stems mid life on the tires everytime.

Strongly recommend replacing stems at every mount.

Had a few times where they didn’t and a year later had to do them

Back