Do most folk change thier oil filter every oil change ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by labman:

The Hastings and other lower priced filters I have cut open had significantly less filter area than AC. Fram is the worst. ST is next to the worst, but close enough behind the others that for the money I am using them on my truck since PF 1177's are so hard to find.

Hastings filters are identical to Baldwin filters...top quality construction and moderate efficiency filtration. Baldwin does make the Casite line of cheap filters; they also make the Amsoil line, said by Amsoil to be better.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

quote:

Originally posted by labman:

The Hastings and other lower priced filters I have cut open had significantly less filter area than AC. Fram is the worst. ST is next to the worst, but close enough behind the others that for the money I am using them on my truck since PF 1177's are so hard to find.

Hastings filters are identical to Baldwin filters...top quality construction and moderate efficiency filtration. Baldwin does make the Casite line of cheap filters; they also make the Amsoil line, said by Amsoil to be better.

Ken

How can something with 2/3 the filter area of the OEM be "top quality"?

The answer to the original question of should you change the oil filter at every oil change is: YES!, of course you should. The reasons are not JUST because you want to change the old dirty filter. It is because you also want to remove as much of the old dirty oil as possible before you add fresh new oil. The oil filter holds one half to one quart of dirty oil. In my oil drain procedure, I go to some extremes to drain every drop of the old contaminated oil out of the engine and crankcase. Some times when I have had a few beers, I will go into this ritual.

Yes! I change the oil filter at every oil change. Unless something really bad happens to your car you could probably go 2 or even 3 oil changes without any problem. Reason being is that we all know people who take lousey care of thier car and it still goes on and on and on.
But to answer your question. Logic dictates, that oil filters are cheaper than engines. If you are having a hard time justifying 12 bucks for a filter and for you to feel like you are getting your monies worth, you want to go 2 oil changes with the same filter. Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a much cheaper filter and change it every oil change.
Me I think changing oil and not changing the filter is just like taking a shower with your drawers on.
thumbsdown.gif

I cut open a Castrol Max Pro (Champion) 2870 last night, had 6K mi. Castrol GTX/M1 on a BMW 325 w/ 160K mi. I was surprized to find particles like carbon (not silica) in the filter, along with a bunch of oily residue. Will see what the ARX does.

The Champion construction was pretty good, with antidrainback and pressure relief valves on top.

So the concept of using a much more quality filtration device { twice as expensive, maybe twice the quality } & keeping it in service for 6 k miles {when the last 2 3k mile filters I cut open looked 98% new }
holds no merit ?
I'm not saying I do this, maybe twice in my 23 years of driving & doing 3k mile oil changes & appreciate the replys but this is one test I'd like to see.
2 identical new engines, both have oil changes @ 3 k , one has a Fram installed each change one keeps it's Mobil 1 for 6 k miles but is taken off & drained.
I dont know, my $ is on the higher quality filter will filter better through the 6 k mile service interval & any dirt that may be released back into the engine when it's drained & reinstalled is minuscule & a non issue. The dirt that is trapped in the small portion of the filter element wont be released back into the engine.
Sorry for beating this to death
grin.gif

But I cant be more emphatic when I say the last 2 filters I cut open @ 3k miles were like 98% new & good to go ,

Just something about leaving almost a quart of dirty oil in the system after a change, I can't do it. Gotta change it all..including the filter. $5 and change is a small price to pay for a good filter & knowing my system has all clean oil.

[ October 11, 2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Virtuoso ]

You dont leave it in though & with a 4 cyl. it's more like a 1/2 pint, if you take it off & drain it your removing most the dirty oil so it's a tablespoon or 2!
I feel the same way also to be honest & I doubt I'll start doing this, just exploring the issue . I think it comes down to " if I'm going to do a job then do it right "
American work ethic we all have but @ the same token I think it's more or less " overkill " .
grin.gif

I heard just the opposite: You can extend your oil change interval from 3,000 to something longer but change the filter every 3,000 anyway and it will clean up the oil.

Don't know, I change both at the sametime.

I had a John Deere riding mower with no oil filter option and now have a new one with an oil filter. You can't imagine the difference in keeping the oil clean.

For a cost of $2 to $5 for a filter on a car that cost $1,500 to $50,000, how can you make a better cost/benenfit investment anywhere.

The cheapest oil and filter approved by the SAE would be oh so much better than nothing.

quote:

Originally posted by Scali62:
Pablo, my ex wife has me on a strict budget

cool.gif
I'm pretty new to the site but I've owned a lot of cars over a lot of years. If you run the cheapest $.99 oil and $1.99 filter and change it every 3k, it'll run forever. If you're running Mobil 1 it should be good for at least 5000 miles. Not changing the filter is like adding a quart of dirty oil to 4 quarts of clean. My .02 is if you want to save money, buy M1 and a good filter and change both every 5-6k. Guy at the Ranger site I belong to has two of them with around 200k and each gets a change every 6 months regardless of miles with whatever is on sale and they run fine.
lol.gif

You guys are funny!
Reminds me of myself :-]
I would not run ANY filter past 8-10K. Period.
Not to say I have not done it, I've gone 15K+
but it will harm the engine.

With a TOP of the line oil, one that can go the distance in an extended oil drain, with a properly running car, with no known problems, you do not want to go over 8-10K, yes you may be able to push it once or twice to 12-15K but it is begging for problems. The moment you know of a problem though, you had better cut the filter service back at least 1/3...
IMO, when your choice is not to change the filter at the oil change, and this is done several times, it is better to plan on a specified time or miles or times done, to either do a light flush or at least do several filter changes back to back say 1K-2-K apart. When I say a light flush I mean either 1. with Some small amount of chemicals/cleaner or 2. with a short oil drain run of a few miles to several hundred or only 1-2K or so on a High Quality oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
*-*-*-*-*- On my 2000 Buick GSE SC I am going 12,000 miles on this oil change with the same filter and will see how the results compare to previous UOA when I changed the filter at about 6000 miles in the OCI. *-*-*-*-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back