DIY service on brand new car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

So a coworker has a new 2016 Nissan Micra that is still on its factory fill. The manual calls for 5K intervals regardless of duty cycle. Its pretty easy on oil it just specs 5w-30 or 10w-30. No synthetic required. Currently 3K on the factory fill. What do I need to document receipts, photos? Just so she doesn't have any warranty issues further down the road. Or would it be better off taking it to iffy lube?
sick.gif

Receipts for oil and a filter is all you'll need. I just staple mine in the manual, in the maintenance section. Don't forget tire rotations.

Thanks. I also noticed that there was a mention of chassis lube. Where exactly does lube go if all the grease fittings are permanently sealed.

I have never been asked for a maintenance records........
If I was, all I'd have to do is go to my Amazons-Walmart purchase record and print it out.

Originally Posted By: Run
Thanks. I also noticed that there was a mention of chassis lube. Where exactly does lube go if all the grease fittings are permanently sealed.

I had grease fittings on my Tacoma, which was the last time I saw this in a manual. I'd probably just give a call to the dealer for clarification, or perhaps someone here has an idea of what needs to be greased.

IDK, I've done the maintenance on the last five vehicles we've bought new and never tested the warranty since we never had any engine problems in warranty or well beyond it.
I keep a log for each vehicle we have in which I record fuel used at each fill-up as well as maintenance events, like oil drains, ATF and coolant drains and fills as well as tires, brakes and the like.
For the maintenance events, I record date, mileage, fluid and filters used and % of IOLM if so equipped.
How well such a log would work in practice in a serious dispute is open to question, but anyone can tell the difference between an engine run on factory fill to its demise versus one that's seen regular maintenance.
Why would you be worried about doing maintenance on a coworkers new car anyway?

Buy the service manual if you intend to self-service the vehicle. That's where you find less obvious information like chassis lubrication points.

Sometimes you can download one from the internet, check vehicle-specific forums. A 3rd party manual (Haynes, etc) is a great supplement as the Factory manual assumes you were Factory-trained, while the consumer oriented one will walk you through some procedures in an easier to follow manner. I've spent anywhere from $100 (PT Cruiser, 8 volumes) to free for Factory Manuals. eBay will have them.

Your car may be too new to have the documentation readily available, but it will be out there soon enough so just keep looking periodically.

I buy used, so when a new vehicle comes into the fold I use a combination of a smartphone app (monitors maintenance intervals, fuel consumption, etc) and I buy a new 3-ring binder with some plastic sleeves for documentation. Receipts get stapled to a sheet of paper with any necessary note added to the sheet, placed into the plastic sleeve, and into the binder. Every change, upgrade, issue, warranty documentation, etc goes into the binder, which moves with the car when it's sold.

I staple the receipt for oil to the lid of the oil filter box and record the date and mileage on the oil filter box as well as the maintenance section of the owners manual. All other maintenance items (air filters, spark plugs, coolant, etc) I keep receipts and log the services in the maintenance section of the owners manual. My records are meticulous. However, my brother had to produce proof of oil changes when his in-warranty Toyota Tundra 5.7 dropped a valve...so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Didn’t we just do this?

Its highly unlikely you’ll ever need them, but receipts for the oil and filters as well as recording the dates and miles some way should suffice if you are asked.

I have never kept receipts in over 45 years for oil changes I have done to any vehicle. I have documented dates, mileages, etc either in the back of the Owners Manual, on home computer, or as of late - the OEM website owners section that allows me to store maintenance records. I have never had a dealer for any OEM brand even ask me about the oil changes, let alone cough up receipts, for either my personal or commercial applications. Well over 5 million miles of personal and commercial vehicle use and have never once has oil changes ever been questioned. 7 different OEM's in that time frame.

Has anybody here ever been turned down for warranty service because they didn't have records?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Originally Posted By: ATex7239
Keep the receipts and write the date and milage on them.

You'll be fine.

+1

+2 Any documentation that you used an approved product and performed whatever was required during the miles is viable backup versus going to a dealer and having them produce the same results for a larger expense. My GMC and Chevy have free oil changes/tire rotation and inspections for the better part of 2 years and after that it is only $40 once a year. I will probably just continue that but I do plan on doing 100% of my own work once the warranties are up

My brother had to produce proof of oil changes when the engine in his 2008 Toyota Tundra grenaded (I'm pretty sure a valve spring broke?). I never thought to keep receipts until he told me about his experience. Luckily he gets his vehicles serviced at Indy shops and they were able to print off his stack of invoices.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Has anybody here ever been turned down for warranty service because they didn't have records?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back