Ditching iPhone 3G for a Blackberry Torch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my last phone broke, I have been using my brother's old iPhone 3G. What a mixed bag. As a multimedia experience, it's an utterly sublime one... in slow motion. It's incredibly easy to use, the interface is seamless and highly intuitive, and the touch screen is excellent. The phone is just slow, so there's a lot of delay for certain tasks. As a phone, though -- i.e. for simply taking it out of my pocket and placing a call or sending a text -- it's excruciating. Too many steps are involved, and the on-screen keyboard takes too much real estate and still doesn't give me buttons big enough to prevent a constant stream of typos. The fact that each step in the process is accompanied by a delay was a deal-breaker for me.

I like smartphones. For MY purposes, I just want the emphasis to be on "phone" rather than on "smart." Above all else, I want the device to make calls, send texts, and have durable construction, long battery life, and the best possible call quality. Everything else is gravy. In other words, my priorities are exactly the reverse of what an iPhone is designed for. Or, to put it yet another way, exactly what a Blackberry is designed for.

AT&T has refurbished Blackberry Torches for $10 with a 2-year contract. Since AT&T has the best coverage of all the carriers that use SIM cards, I was very likely to stick with them for the foreseeable future anyway. Chump change for a quantum leap in ease-of-use seems to be a no-brainer for me.

The iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 are much, much faster than the 3G. This makes a HUGE difference in the user experience. A bunch of my friends and family members have them and love them -- especially the iPhone 4, which is a genuinely awesome device. If I had had either of those instead of a plain-Jane 3G, I might have been okay with it -- or at least okay enough to talk myself out of signing another contract just for some extra convenience. I try not to confuse what I prefer with what is good; I do not like iPhones for my uses, but they are GREAT devices.

My
49.gif
for what it's worth.

I'm with you in terms of "phone" priorities.
As soon as "phones" started sucking at being phones and were better web surfers, I got turned off the whole smart phone thing all together.
I like my Sony Ericsson candybar phone just fine and will use it until I can't anymore.

When they went from cell phone to communications devises, I lost all interest.

I have a Samsung SGH-a737 that has served me well for many years. Not sure what I will replace it with when it goes out.

I also am with AT&T and all I use a phone for is to talk.

My wife and I have 3G. I lost mine so have a 3GS. We use them all the time. The 3G is slightly slower, but more of the difference is in capability. The multitasking of the gs is useful and helpful. For doing stuff exactly like this, typing on the internet, I can't see that I notice a real difference.

I have a blackberry for work and the iPhone is personal. I prefer re bb keyboard for positive typing fast, but have gotten pretty quick with the iPhone by learning what works best in terms of technique.

For streamlined full functionality, size, weight and integrated package, the iPhone cannot be beat, IMO, but selection really depends upon a lit of metrics. Fr work the bb wins, for pocketability and do it all capability for personal use, the iPhone wins.

My 2c

The 3G can be slow if the phone has not been updated to the latest software. Mine is fine.

What I hate about mine isn't the phone. It is AT&T- the kings of dropped calls. When the iPhone 5 hits in May, I will upgrade and move over to Verizon. AT&T's service is overpriced rubbish.

Last edited:
I never had issues with AT&T's service until I started calling people who had iPhone 4s...
21.gif

I really wanted to upgrade my BB Tour to a Droid, but ended up with the Tour 2 (Bold 9650.) AFA the multimedia experience, the Bold falls short of the Droid and iPhone by a large margin. However, I can type long emails, have text convos, etc very easily with this BB's full QWERTY keyboard, which is a 100% must have for me. This phone, especially running BB6 OS, is very easy to use, especially for simple non-smart phone tasks.

Until I'm forced to upgrade to a touchscreen, I'll be sticking with kinda-smart phones, like the Bold. As long as I can relatively easily surf the web to check movie times, stocks, BITOG shenanigans, and very easily email and text, I'm happy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I like smartphones. For MY purposes, I just want the emphasis to be on "phone" rather than on "smart." Above all else, I want the device to make calls, send texts, and have durable construction, long battery life, and the best possible call quality. Everything else is gravy. In other words, my priorities are exactly the reverse of what an iPhone is designed for. Or, to put it yet another way, exactly what a Blackberry is designed for.

That's the exercise I just went through. I got a MyTouch 4G first. It was a very capable device and quick at everything, but the battery life was horrendous. It wouldn't even last from morning to evening if you actually used it. Ended up returning it and got a Bold 9650 on Verizon. No bells and whistles, but my main priority is work/email. It does it fine, and the battery lasts significantly longer. I think I will be keeping it.

I have had a 3G for the last two years and just got a 4. If you're familiar with the term (from Happy Days) "jumping the shark", I think Apple has now "jumped the shark" with the iPhone 4.

When the iPhone 4 came out, Apple released IOS4 for all the iPhones, and it was so bloated that it brought my 3G to a complete standstill. I was able to downgrade my 3G back to IOS 3.1.3 and then find an iPhone 4 to replace it with.

The 4 has been a huge disappointment. Basic stuff that should just work, doesn't. If you turn cell data off (to save roaming charges) you have to reboot the phone to get it turned back on. Email does bizarre things. Daylight savings doesn't update properly. iTunes completely blocked all my music and media for two weeks, completely at random. The basic stuff that should just work is annoyingly inconsistent. IOS 4 is rubbish, to use the strongest polite term I can think of.

What's also interesting that I've bought two Blackberry's recently - my kids are insisting on BB's because that's what their friends have and they can BBM between them. In the critical 16 to 24 year-old demographic, Apple is losing iPhone market share fast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
The 3G can be slow if the phone has not been updated to the latest software. Mine is fine.

What I hate about mine isn't the phone. It is AT&T- the kings of dropped calls. When the iPhone 5 hits in May, I will upgrade and move over to Verizon. AT&T's service is overpriced rubbish.

iPhone 5?!?!? Didn't the 4 just come out? It wouldn't be a 4gs?

Haven't taken the wife's 3G to the latest yet - thought it slowed it down/took too many resources on the 3G..

I think 4.0 is super slow, but the later iterations might be better. Mine is on an early revision (because of a jailbreak).

No software upgrade will bring a 3G to 3GS or 4 speeds, though.

I jailbroke the 3G yesterday at version 4.2.1. It seems to be much faster than it was on 4.0. Now my daughter has an iPhone - if she doesn't like it, she'll get a BB too.

I love my BB Bold 9780. It doesnt have any crazy features, but everything it does works soooo well. And I don't know how I lived without BBM before.

Touch screens are a pain in the [censored] for me. [censored] typing and the battery life is rarely more than 1 day.( Less if you actually use it.)

Just got the phone last night. I've barely done anything to set it up and haven't even transferred my contacts over, but I'm already deliriously happy with it. The interface is decidedly at least one full generation behind Apple's, but... I just don't care.

I'm going to try to track down an Otter Box for it, and get a Zagg screen protector.

The ability to place calls and send texts so much more easily is such a breath of fresh air!

Otter Boxed, invisibleSHIELDed, synced, and all set up. What a great device! For AT&T people who want multimedia capability but don't want to give up the convenience, performance, and/or look and feel of a Blackberry, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Call me old fashioned, but this is my idea of a mobile phone. A Motorola DynaTAC.

MotorolaDynaTAC.jpg

I agree totally. I have no need for surfing the web or watching tv on a phone. I have a cell phone to talk on and send the occasional text message, thats all. 15 years ago, these "smart" phones didn't exist, yet people seemed to live just fine. I laugh when I hear people say "I couldn't live without my iphone" or whatever "smart" phone they have.

Of coarse people could live without a smart phone. People also used to live with black and white tv's and VHS but I would take a HD TV with a blue ray player any day.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Of coarse people could live without a smart phone. People also used to live with black and white tv's and VHS but I would take a HD TV with a blue ray player any day.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: mcrn

I'm a retro man. I have a "dumb" phone, an old non-HDTV, and no blu-ray player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back