Will a locked Iphone 3 work for Verizon any Iphone $1,000 credit?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Verizon is offering a $1,000 USD trade in credit for any Iphone towards a new Iphone. My Wife and Daughter want me to have a Iphone.

Found a purchased a locked Iphone 3 on Ebay for $17 delivered. Question I am now asking- will the phone being locked prevent Verizon from honoring the $1,000 credit for any Iphone trade in?

Verizon is offering a $1,000 USD trade in credit for any Iphone towards a new Iphone. My Wife and Daughter want me to have a Iphone.

Found a purchased a locked Iphone 3 on Ebay for $17 delivered. Question I am now asking- will the phone being locked prevent Verizon from honoring the $1,000 credit for any Iphone trade in?
Go down about 3 sentences and again in the second paragraph
also click on trade in user guide. I sincerely doubt they will give you that credit for an outdated iPhone. I know at the time that TMobile would not have.

Also gotta make sure it's not on a stolen list, although I don't think anybody would report that on an iPhone 3.

1696343509970.png

BTW in addition to the above there are links in the link I provided that will take you to trade in value's as I suspected you would get nothing for an iPhone 3.
You are going to need something more current, the site will give you the phone that qualify for $1000
Oops, I see you responded but will leave this.

I am curious did you see the thread I started on DishNetwork/Boost cell service? Not sure how coverage would be there but you can check on if they will allow to you try out coverage

BTW in addition to the above there are links in the link I provided that will take you to trade in value's as I suspected you would get nothing for an iPhone 3.
You are going to need something more current, the site will give you the phone that qualify for $1000
I was in Alaska last week and the Verizon authorized retailer told me any Iphone trade in works, including Iphone 3. Maybe he was blowing smoke, maybe was a local promotion. I just went to Ebay and found the $17 Iphone 3, so said worth the risk.

If it sounds too good to be true-

I was in Alaska last week and the Verizon authorized retailer told me any Iphone trade in works, including Iphone 3. Maybe he was blowing smoke, maybe was a local promotion. I just went to Ebay and found the $17 Iphone 3, so said worth the risk.

Interesting ... :unsure: "Authorized Retailer" who knows, maybe he was offering something out of his own pocket. If that is the case jsut make sure to read everything carefully.
Retailers get paid for contracts and some can reduce their price on their own knowing how much they are going to be paid by the cell company... I have no idea though.

Check Verizon's current bring your own device program.

We reactivated a phone for a kid that was previously on the Verizon network and they gave me $500 in credits for "bringing my own device".

I'd gamble $17 and go for it, any iPhone model from X(10) series on down won't take any more software or OS upgrades, so Verizon will likely just recycle it and make the deal. We've been with AT&T for almost 30 years and have a very competitive rate from loyalty rewards. I recently traded my iPhone XR for a iPhone 14 Pro, got $500 off and they didn't even want the XR back. Had the data transferred and software update to 17.0.2 done at an Apple Store and they gave me $135 for the XR. My net cost for the 14 pro ended up at $269+tax.

Ethically questionable, good luck.
What's the ethical issue? Buying a stolen phone is a ethical issue. Buying a locked phone is not a ethical issue. The real ethical issue is why the phones are enabled to be locked in the first place, and why a phone is not automatically unlocked when any lien on the phone is eliminated.

The real ethical issue is why the phones are enabled to be locked in the first place, and why a phone is not automatically unlocked when any lien on the phone is eliminated.

There were two things that enabled that situation. Way back then, Verizon and Sprint were special using CDMA radios. AT&T was using GSM and the rest of the world was using GSM. If you got a Verizon phone, you always had a Verizon phone, it could never be on another carrier, unless you specifically bought a global capable phone.

That improved with the switch to LTE networks since the CDMA/GSM didn't matter at that point. However, these carriers were still holding onto these phones like they owned them. That whole situation was such a racket. Having to call them up and convince them to let you have control over your phone that you own. Dear Mr Verizon, may I pretty please have my phone back 🥹

He's blowing smoke. My iPhone 11 qualifies for the full amount, but my son's 2nd generation iPhone SE only gets him somewhere around $400.

What's the ethical issue? Buying a stolen phone is a ethical issue. Buying a locked phone is not a ethical issue. The real ethical issue is why the phones are enabled to be locked in the first place, and why a phone is not automatically unlocked when any lien on the phone is eliminated.
The newer phones can be "unlocked"

I see it similar to dragging a corpse car out of a neglected field for a vehicle trade in from the ethic's standpoint. Is it wrong to take advantage of a system? No, but the word for that is also moral hazard. It also bears unnecessary stress on yourself knowing if they will accept it or not. Been there, done that, moved on.

I see it similar to dragging a corpse car out of a neglected field for a vehicle trade in from the ethic's standpoint. Is it wrong to take advantage of a system? No, but the word for that is also moral hazard. It also bears unnecessary stress on yourself knowing if they will accept it or not. Been there, done that, moved on.
The Verizon store recommended I find a old Iphone for trade in. I suspect Verizon does the math on their offer.

Never did I get the impression that they were taking in the phone trade for any monetary value. The salesperson said the phone didn't have to work, nothing. The deal was the trade in required a "new line" with Verizon. This offer was not available as a trade up on a existing Verizon line.

I can't speak for Verizon's marketing, but I suspect this offer is a way to get an ATT user like me to convert to Verizon. The "push-pull-drag it" was simply a way to get me in Verizon's door.

Last edited:
What I see on Verizon website:
* You have to open a new line. That one is easy since you're switching from another company.
* You have to subscribe to the Unlimited Plus or Unlimited Ultimate plan. For a customer with a single line, those plans are at least $65 and $75 per month* respectively, plus taxes and fees-- which will be substantial.
* The credit is paid divided into 36 months. The line has to stay on the qualifying plan for all 36 months.

I suspect you could take a piece of paper and write "My Old iPhone" on it and they would take it. They're into you for at least $2500 over a $1000 phone.

* Maybe. The fine print on the page I read suggested that those prices were after a $540 "bring your own phone' credit, assuming they replace it with a $1000 "trade in any iPhone" credit, that's a net credit of only $460: $12.75 per month. Really you won't know how much it's costing you until the first bill comes, and it will be a doozy.

Last edited:
It looks like for new lines they will take anything on trade for the $1000 credit over 3 years, but to upgrade an existing line they require an iPhone 8 or higher to get an $830 credit over 3 years. Nice that they treat new customers better than 15 year customers...

Back