Distilled water for your cooling system

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
I keep hearing about checking pH, but what should it be?

The pH should be 7 or slightly higher. Anthing lower is on the acid side and will neutralize itself using the iron from your engine. Much above 7, and you have some minerals in it. Also high pH solutions etch aluminium.

As for minerals in distilled water, it rapidly dissolves a little from the container as soon as it condenses back to water. Too vigorous boiling can carry over dropplets of mineral laden water.

If I needed to adjust pH to raise it above 7 on a coolant that hasn't finished it's 2-3 years service, would it be safe to adjust it with dilute sodium hydroxide? This is the technique I use to adjust the pH on our salt fog testing equipment.

I don't like the idea of adding any ionic material, acid, salt, or base to a glycol based coolant. I would be very quick to dump any glycol based coolant that is on the acid side. I can pick up 2 gallons of green Prestone for less than $15. You want very different results in your engine and salt fog cabinet.

I lack experience and knowledge of the chemistry of the newer coolants. I would need to learn more about them before commenting on them. With my 02 Cavalier and its orange stuff in its third year, it may be time for me to be doing some reading. I still have not had the cap off the reservoir.

I had the overflow tank cap off my better half's '00 Cavalier and it was low*, but not out. I poured about a cup of pure Havoline Dex-Cool in to bring it up. This is the only attention the cooling system's had since she bought it in early '01 (a "program" car).

*In my opinion these plastic overflow tanks invite neglect because they can be bone dry yet appear "full" because the transluscent plastic's stained at the original factory fill level. Learned my lesson and ducked a bullet simultaneously.

I just did my Cherokee with the flusher. About one gallon of water (out of 3 total) stays in the system when you drain the radiator. I just filled it completely with distilled water, ran it until it got hot, and then drained it and put in my final fill. There is still 1/3 of a gallon of regular water in there, but I don't really care. Most people use regular water anyway...

I now use one of the pre-mixed antifreezes just so as to not have to horse around with 50/50 water mixing. Otherwise I do use distilled water if doing the 50/50 thing.

Drain what you can get at once every two years and I don't think that a full power flush is generally needed.

John

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
I now use one of the pre-mixed antifreezes just so as to not have to horse around with 50/50 water mixing. Otherwise I do use distilled water if doing the 50/50 thing.

Drain what you can get at once every two years and I don't think that a full power flush is generally needed.

John

Pre mix rules, love the Castrol Long Life pre mixed coolant.

Demineralized distilled water is slightly acidic, but only until it gets heated, I think. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. Also, the coolant itself contains buffers that will adjust the PH level of the coolant.

Here is the easy way to do it. Take it to a garage that has a flush machine and have it flushed and filled once a year. The cooling system will last forever.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull:
Here is the easy way to do it. Take it to a garage that has a flush machine and have it flushed and filled once a year. The cooling system will last forever.
smile.gif

And you'll get better gas mileage since your wallet will be lighter.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by New:
browsing the net I've encountered this (corrosive distilled/deionized water):

deionized water will attack metals such as stainless steel

Corrosion caused by deionized water

demineralized or distilled water is more corrosive than dirty water

New

There are two problems (at least) with this info and the way it's presented here. First, it overlooks the context of proper use in an automotive cooling system. Among the many components of a good EG or PG based coolant will be a group of chemicals designed to minimize or eliminate the corrosion of cooling system metals. Second, it overlooks that distilled or deionized water plus good coolant is probably the least of the evils available when deciding how to fill one's cooling system. Overall, I think the effects of precipitated minerals and accumulating dirt from the "less corrosive dirty water" will be far more damaging than the effects of a 50% distilled or demineralized, 50% quality coolant mix.

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:

quote:

smile.gif

wink.gif

I think it use to cost me $49 each year? No big deal, plus if you get better gas mileage
cheers.gif

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:

quote:

smile.gif

wink.gif

I think it use to cost me $49 each year? No big deal, plus if you get better gas mileage
cheers.gif

After just two years of that, I could buy a whole new radiator.

If only it were just the radiator that was at risk. Heaters, water pumps, hoses, and even engine blocks can all suffer the ill effects of bad coolant. How long to pay for all of those?

is two years/24,000 miles too long to replace teh yellow type coolant? Or, should I still do it once a year with a aluminum block?

Every 2 years or 24000 miles is fine. Only use distilled water to fill and flush! You will need about 4 gallons of distilled water which will set you back about $2.40 to do a flush and fill.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 9300Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 91400 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

quote:

Originally posted by slalom44:
If you want to save a few cents, use the drain water from your house air conditioner or dehumidifier.

Darn!! I've been dumping the dehumidifier water when I should have been saving it!!! That's an excellent idea.

Wouldn't dehumidifier water get contaminated with bacteria, mold and dust? When I used one, the water was always pretty nasty when I dumped it. I certainly wouldn't use it in my car when I could buy known good water at the store for a buck or two.

Don't save a penny to spend a dollar, as they say.

I agree with you, Matt_S. As cheap as sealed distilled or de-ionized water are to buy, it seems like false economy to be putting throw-away sludge you wouldn't water your pet with, and of unknown pH, in a cooling system. (Water your plants with it...) Antifreeze/coolant has a tough enough job even when everything is right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back