dirty oil can stretch timing chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Not possible.
31.gif

No GM product has a oil SENSOR.

Its all computer reading other sensors that are REQUIRED by the ECM to run the vehicle. If any of those sensors has a problem, check engine light would have been on.

Oil that is spent will cause the timing chain to wear quicker.

Bill

Sorry, Bill. This info is INCORRECT.

Oil sensor mounted right in the side of the pan on my Silverados and Savanas.

Also, a typical timing chain only stretches a bit when new and then will stay stable for many miles if cared for.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Sorry, Bill. This info is INCORRECT.

Oil sensor mounted right in the side of the pan on my Silverados and Savanas.

Also, a typical timing chain only stretches a bit when new and then will stay stable for many miles if cared for.

Excuse me.. You have a sensor that looks at the oil?

You have a oil LEVEL Sensor and a oil PRESSURE sensor. There is NO sensor that determines that condition of the oil and sets off the oil life monitor in GM products.

Lets read the OP;

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
I noticed a current thread on an automotive forum in which the customer brought in their 09 car due to a check engine light. The customer was told that the reason for the light was a malfunctioning oil life sensor.

And I will repeat.. No GM product has a oil SENSOR. If you read the OP you'd see that we are talking about OIL LIFE sensor.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Steve S
3.6 G.M. engines are garbage. The heart break of America.

That's funny. The 3.6L is a great engine, one of GMs best ever. But with all "new" mainstream technology, DI has teething troubles. Alot of VW DI engines have the exact same problem (intake valve buildup, and fuel dilution)

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Originally Posted By: Steve S
3.6 G.M. engines are garbage. The heart break of America.

That's funny. The 3.6L is a great engine, one of GMs best ever. But with all "new" mainstream technology, DI has teething troubles. Alot of VW DI engines have the exact same problem (intake valve buildup, and fuel dilution)
No they are not, they are throw away engines . I had a nice conversation with a G.M. Master Tech. Over all he said most G.M products are not te best and the 3.6 is not really what you want to own.

You have a oil LEVEL Sensor and a oil PRESSURE sensor. There is NO sensor that determines that condition of the oil and sets off the oil life monitor in GM products.

Lets read the OP;

I noticed a current thread on an automotive forum in which the customer brought in their 09 car due to a check engine light. The customer was told that the reason for the light was a malfunctioning oil life sensor.

And I will repeat.. No GM product has a oil SENSOR. If you read the OP you'd see that we are talking about OIL LIFE sensor.

Bill

Yeah, Bill, But I didn't quote him now did I? Everyone here knows what that sensor does. And that GM's system is one of the most accurate on any production automobile.

But you said what you said. It's in print so anyone can read it.

It's a sensor. It looks at my oil. You said I don't have one.

Sorry I called you on it if it offends you.

I'll take the high road here and let others figure out where each of us are at.

You should read the WHOLE thread before replying though.
smirk2.gif

I'll take the high road here and let others figure out where each of us are at.

You should read the WHOLE thread before replying though.
smirk2.gif

Really Steve. You're in the wrong.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I don't believe that the steel chain is stretching.

It is wearing, as are the gears. This accumulates to a longer chain from looser parts.

Fresh oil will always better than dirty oil with abrasive particulate matter and depleted additives.

Is the chain system on this car substandard? Seems so.

Allegedly that's part of the reason Nissan don't want a high dispersent engine oil in their diesels.

The DOHC direct injection format has the valves very parallel, and close together, meaning that the cams are close. Then the cam pulleys are close too, limiting diameter, which increases the chain load.

They argue that if the soot is dispersed, it wears the top end, and "stretches" the chain through abrasive wear.

IMO, that's a design issue, not an oil.

The problem with the chain is not due to the oil life monitor being wrong or accurate but more of a chain issue.

You can take good care of your car, change oil every 3k miles if you want and if you have the bad batch of timing chain, you'll still get the problem.

The tech that said the problem was the oil life monitor didn't know at all what he was talking about. Most dealers don't want to scare their customers and most dealers doesn't have a clue what is going on/why the problem happened.

It started in 2005, a lot in 2006-2007-2008, some in 2009 and let see the 2010 models.

If you have a problem with the timing chain due to the bad design, it will fail before the end of the warranty, usually around 15k miles and 40k miles.

I have somewhere around 127k miles and the chains are still good!

Originally Posted By: Spykem4e
The problem with the chain is not due to the oil life monitor being wrong or accurate but more of a chain issue.

Of course.

The tech that said the problem was the oil life monitor didn't know at all what he was talking about.

Of course.

I have somewhere around 127k miles and the chains are still good!

I know my Traverse is not a CTS
blush.gif
but their engines are similar (although now that I think of it as a 2005 yours is not DI.)

Anyways I am 1100 miles into a run of GC hoping this oil will do better in this problematic DI engine. And I think I recall you are doing a run of GC...right? Where are you in your OCI? Any chance you will UOA it? IF so...when?

And I think I recall you are doing a run of GC...right? Where are you in your OCI? Any chance you will UOA it? IF so...when?

In fact, I'm going to do my oil change this afternoon. I'm going to put GC in the engine today for the first time. I'm tired of waiting for the OLM for the oil change and I'm at 25% right now on the OLM with M1 5w30.

What I'll do with the GC, I'll do a 60-70% OLM run with the oil and send it to the lab for analysis.

I know my Traverse is not a CTS
blush.gif

maybe not, but the Traverse is going the be my next car if I'm not choosing the 2nd generation CTS

I'm tired of waiting for the OLM for the oil change

Just like a watched pot never boils, a watched OLM never changes
56.gif

What I'll do with the GC, I'll do a 60-70% OLM run with the oil and send it to the lab for analysis.

So which of us will be done first? I predict I will send in a sample of GC somewhere in July. 60-70% on the OLM will be where for you in the calendar?

So which of us will be done first? I predict I will send in a sample of GC somewhere in July. 60-70% on the OLM will be where for you in the calendar?

its about 6% per 1000 km (60-70% is about 10k-14k kms) so I have to say somewhere in July! After the UOA, I'll check if I give a full OLM run since the OLm calls for an oil change at around 18k kms to 23k kms.

I did the oil change this afternoon with GC and I have to say that GC has eliminated the valvetrain noise in my car. Its somehow more quiet. I drove about 100 kms with GC and so far, no mpg changes! I'm still at the 9,0L-9,4L/100 kms on the DIC.

quick question, how to you do multiple quotes in your reply?

Last edited:
its about 6% per 1000 km (60-70% is about 10k-14k kms)

I am confused Spykem. If your driving routine causes the OLM to drop approx 6% per 1000 km then to reach 60%-70% remaining would imply a range of about 5k - 7k km of driving? (Or maybe you mean 30% to 40% remaining?
33.gif
)

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Lets read the OP;

Bill

Yeah, Bill, But I didn't quote him now did I? Everyone here knows what that sensor does. And that GM's system is one of the most accurate on any production automobile.

But you said what you said. It's in print so anyone can read it.

It's a sensor. It looks at my oil. You said I don't have one.

Sorry I called you on it if it offends you.

You called Bill on NOTHING. We are discussing the Oil Life Monitor, which is not screwed in to any oil pan on any GM engine.
spankme2.gif

its about 6% per 1000 km (60-70% is about 10k-14k kms)

I am confused Spykem. If your driving routine causes the OLM to drop approx 6% per 1000 km then to reach 60%-70% remaining would imply a range of about 5k - 7k km of driving? (Or maybe you mean 30% to 40% remaining?
33.gif
)

yes, what I meant is I'll drive until the OLM depleted of 60% to 70% meaning 30-40% engine oil life remaining on the DIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back