did I kill my tires? car stored for 18 months...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have flat spots after not driving for 17 months, if you store the car on its tires. Drive a few hundreds miles may lessen the flat spots.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You have flat spots after not driving for 17 months, if you store the car on its tires. Drive a few hundreds miles may lessen the flat spots.

this should cure it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

This..

This is you store cars on jack stands.
wink.gif

NEVER store a car on stands. The suspension can be severely damaged.I've personally fixed elongated control arm bushings after a car sat on stands for only 2 weeks!

Most modern tires may flat spot for a short time, but usually you drive to fix them.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
now I have a vibration above 60mph that was not there before. car rode smooth before at any speed...

Tom,

The suggestions you got are good ones, but I have a couple more that I have wanted to try, but involve a bit of a risk, so I don't want to suggest them until other attempts have been made. Post back in a month or 2 if those don't work and I'll make a couple more. Post back even if they DOP work. The guys like to know what works and what doesn't. Not knowing is not a wonderful thang

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
NEVER store a car on stands. The suspension can be severely damaged.I've personally fixed elongated control arm bushings after a car sat on stands for only 2 weeks!

Most modern tires may flat spot for a short time, but usually you drive to fix them.

Mmmmm.......mmm.

I have seen permanent flat spots in tires, so we have dilemma. My answers have always been the jackstand technique, so maybe collectively we ought to come up with a better one.

I suspect tires are cheaper to replace than suspension however when storing car for long time one should, I think:

overinflate tire (maybe to max sidewall pressure)

jack the car using jack points not suspension (not sure about it).

Krzys

This is wildly unscientific but try dropping pressure to 12 PSI and driving around the block, slowly. Might exercise the belts back into shape.

Again, just a total shot in the dark, that would amuse myself. You need a low key, low traffic block, naturally.

The overinflation idea is similarly engaging. Alternate between the two?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Had my car on jackstands when I was on a 6mo. deployment with no problems, ran great whe I set her down
21.gif

I used to work for a man with a substantial car collection when I was younger. There were a few absolutes.

One was the jackstand thing. It may not screw up YOUR car, but on a 1969 Impala it elongated the control arm bushings in only 2 weeks! Car drove fine for a few miles, then quickly got loose. This may not apply to all cars, but it certainly does to most.

I've seen stored and displayed cars on stands that fit under the suspension arms or axles. They weren't normal jack stands, they were shorter. The idea is to keep the suspension in it's normal position under load, but the tires are off the ground.

Spot on. My wife and I store three cars (1979 Caddy, 1974 AMC Gremlin, 1986 Grand National) for the winter & have for years...ALWAYS on stands/blocks, supported by the rear axle & front control arms so the suspension is loaded normally.

I used to store one of my Mercedes for the winter, and to avoid flat spots I picked up a set of junk yard wheels and tires that held air OK and fit fine.

Come storage time I'd swap on the junk tires pump them up to like 50psi because 20-30 would leak out over the winter, and let them flat spot, who cares. The good wheels and tires would be stacked in dry storage, ready to go for next season.

I've stored numerous cars/trucks for many years with no probs. I agree - next time I will store it on stands, on the suspension. I will likely have to buy new tires. these were brand new tires with only 5k miles on them. tried having them rebalanced today with no luck. I suppose a "road hazard" warranty doesnt apply here.... oh well.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I used to store one of my Mercedes for the winter, and to avoid flat spots I picked up a set of junk yard wheels and tires that held air OK and fit fine.

Come storage time I'd swap on the junk tires pump them up to like 50psi because 20-30 would leak out over the winter, and let them flat spot, who cares. The good wheels and tires would be stacked in dry storage, ready to go for next season.

actually... now I have a set of "junk" tires!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back