DiamondFire E3 plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else try these yet? I saw these advertised in Four Wheeler mag. Their website seems like any other 'Splitfire gimmick'. Well, my Briggs & Stratton mower is 11 years old. It was still on it's original plug. It still started on the first pull -- every time. Walmart had the DiamondFire E3s in stock. I bought one for around $5.50. I installed it, and mowed last night. It still started on the first pull (it better). It seemed to run a little smoother, but I also replaced the air filter. It might have used less fuel. I did some heavy mulching, and I often ran out before my lawn was complete. I didn't last night. Would any new plug produce the same results? Maybe? Did I get my $5 worth? I don't know -- but I feel good about it:). It's a lifetime plug. I'm going to pick one up for my Stihl weed eater as well. The gold/platinum Champion plug was slightly cheaper. A standard plug was a lot cheaper.

I bought one last year... to try myself, I thought well.... if it fouls I can always use the warranty that comes with it to get another one. I've noticed that my 6hp quantum I put it in, uses a little less gas (same air filter) and seems a tiny bit more stronger.... hey its better then any cruddy champion plug.. and is supposed to be a lifetime plug... Didn't notice a difference in starting, it has always started the first pull after priming it 3 times (except the one time I replaced the fuel line)

you can always buy the regular replacement plug. then the next time you mow. put the plug in and see how the gas useage and running is like. anytime yo ureplace plugs you get better gas mileage and the engine runs smoother. so this would be the only way to see if its the plug its self or if its just becasue the plug is new. but cant nock a lifetime warranty. but the warranty is only last as long as the company does lol.

E3s have made a HUGE difference over the past
year in all of my yard equipment...

Some of these engines are 20 years old...

They never started as easily when new as now...

And, the oil stays cleaner longer in all "4 strokes"...

Home Depot and Lowes now carry them...

If you want to try one, I truly believe you'll
be pleased...

One thing that most small gas equipment owners tend to forget/ignore esp. after operating their equipment for quite some time is the often-neglicted ignition points behind that darn flywheel inside a typical B&S engine.

It will becomes worn over time to the point where hardstarting is the main observable symptom, assuming that the spark plug is in good shape and your carb is in good condition.

Taking apart this flywheel requires some special tool, or in my case, I use a super large adjustable monkeywrench to break free of the bolt. Also remember to replace that soft metal key while you are at it.

I typically take this opportunity to retrofit the darn tired system with electronic ignition module (avail from Home Deporte and a few other shops) and that actually not only saves on point wear but also makes a much stronger spark.

Good thing about Honda and Yamaha engines is the fact that their carbs are build to last, unlike those crappy B&S ones (esp. later ones made with nylon)

Back on the subject of E3 plugs....

Home Depot and Lowe's did not have all sizes....

This was strange where they did not stock what
was needed for B & S OHVs....

If this is true at your location, it's easy to
use mail order, just do a "google"...

quote:

Originally posted by Quest:
One thing that most small gas equipment owners tend to forget/ignore esp. after operating their equipment for quite some time is the often-neglicted ignition points behind that darn flywheel inside a typical B&S engine.

It will becomes worn over time to the point where hardstarting is the main observable symptom, assuming that the spark plug is in good shape and your carb is in good condition.

Taking apart this flywheel requires some special tool, or in my case, I use a super large adjustable monkeywrench to break free of the bolt. Also remember to replace that soft metal key while you are at it.

I typically take this opportunity to retrofit the darn tired system with electronic ignition module (avail from Home Deporte and a few other shops) and that actually not only saves on point wear but also makes a much stronger spark.

Good thing about Honda and Yamaha engines is the fact that their carbs are build to last, unlike those crappy B&S ones (esp. later ones made with nylon)

Briggs has dropped the points since 83... the only good carbs on briggs engines are walbro's though... but the plastic carbs on the smaller ones seem to do great..

As for the plug... saw it, knew it had to be a load of B.S. but its got a warranty so... better then champions.

OT - About that soft key, there's an easy way to
check if it's bent...

Just take off the nut holding the flywheel...

Use a strong flashlight, look down the shaft...

If the key is bent the shaft will show that it's
rotated and no longer centered in the flywheel...

Saves pulling flywheel to find out...

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
Snake oil with a capital S. Just like Splitfires.............

Have you used them? If so, I'm sure they are like any other product: some have positive results, some equal, some negative. If you haven't tried them, you can't accurately make a statement.

Since my original post, I've also purchase one for my Stihl weed wacker. It had positive results on it also.

80caprice-

My B&S4.5hp engine (including the most recent Quantum series of engines that I serviced) I bought with my Poulan 20" deck mower (bought 7 yrs ago), does come with point behind the flywheel.

I have serviced Clinton and B&S all the way back to the early 50s (my neighour's old Sears tiller)...

LOL! So much for those old point ignition systems.

I guess its different where you live... I've got one from around 83, max series 4hp (long been discontinued) that doesn't use em, and engines on up from there that doesn't use em, including a couple old classic 3.5 engines, two quantums (one 3.5 hp and one 3 year old 6hp quantum) the only one I have that HAD points was from 79, and has had a conversion kit used on it.

On the E3 home page there is a cross-over chart...

Using it, I've purchased 4 E3 plugs as gifts to
neighbors for their various lawnmowers..

Every one of them reported spectacular results
and 'thanks'..

(Just got some zucchini from one, out of his garden, given as a 'thank you' !)

Now come on guys just think for a moment.
No matter what type of plug you are using if you
don't have a muti spark ignition it is not going
to matter. That is the only way I can see them
making a difference. E3 Spark plugs endorsed
by TwoGuysGarage just like the Tornado.
DIfferent style spark plugs have been around
since the 50's (Just open an old JC Whitney catalog)

If you think they are making a difference you
are only convincing yourself

^^ Hey, we have to justify that $6 somehow. In my mower, I also changed the oil, and Air Cleaner at the same time. In my weed wacker, I mixed fresh gas. I'm sure all these had an affect on the performance, but each run smoother, and use less fuel now. Like I said, I have to make myself 'think' I did right by spending $6 on a plug:)

I might do that. My dad has been doing that in his small engines. I already use Seafoam in a pinging pushrod Ford!

Ok KKreit01: You want to make your weed whacker
run like a bat out of **** ?? Add a little
Seafoam to the gas. Won't hurt to put some in
your lawn mower gas either.
That's $5.24 Well Spent

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
Snake oil with a capital S. Just like Splitfires.............

Agreed to the Nth degree.

Best plug out there for small engines is one that has a "clipped gap" i.e. its ground electrode only extends about halfway over the center electrode. Autolite plugs are this way as are some NGK. They're resistant to carbon bridging, and due to less electrode shielding the flame kernel, may help the engine pick up a miniscule amount of extra power and/or smoother running and starting.

I don't know why so many people throw Champion under the bus the way they do. When you're talking about non-resistor plugs of the same heat range, manufacturer is pretty much irrelevant.

I'm accustomed to running Champions since most, if not all, my vehicles are Chrysler products, and that's what they're happiest on.

quote:

Originally posted by BUBBA0420:
-SNIP-

DIfferent style spark plugs have been around
since the 50's (Just open an old JC Whitney catalog)

If you think they are making a difference you
are only convincing yourself

E.G., can someone say "Fire Injectors"?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back