DEX OS 0 20w question

I have a 2023 Equinox LT and the cap on the oil fill says DEX OS 0 20w
So I'm looking around for said oil, and I find this so far:
DEX OS 1 then there's DEX OS 2. Then there's first generation, second
generation and so forth.
Ok, I have a 2023 Equinox LT. What kind of oil do I put in this thing?
I'm confused.... now get this, I stop at a Chevy dealership in New Jersey
coming home to Western Massachusetts, and their service department
had a part's desk tell me... "they're all the same, the DEX OS 1 and 2.

There’s Dexos1, Dexos2, and Dexos D. You need Dexos1. What’s confusing is they have Dexos1, Dexos1 Gen2, and Dexos1 Gen3. By now everything on store shelves should be Dexos1 Gen3.

Thanks for the replies. So, I should be looking for simply DEXOS 1 0 20W. The generation thing, 1, 2, 3 is not something that I should be concerned with.
Thanks again.

Gas engine Dexos label on the front of the bottle will say Dexos 1 and in the small print below it will say gen 3 for the current oil specification for your car. This applies to 0-20w and 5-30w oils.
I believe the larger print of Dexos 2 is the diesel spec. oil.

Wonders never cease around here. As I was posting away with my last post when the salesman who sold us the car, called and asked if I was going to be home. He found an owner's manual for me. That and a few other minor things had to be addressed.
On the page addressing oil... it says 3dexos 1 0 20w third generation. Now I know.
I really appreciate the responses form everyone. Thank you very much. I'll be going on 80 soon, and I have eyesight issues. So
being helped here is greatly appreciated. Thanks [B]repairman54[/B]

please tell us your driving experience with your 2023 chevy equinox lt. how does it do for you around town and on the highway? thanks!

My wife and I are retired, and we'll be 80 in two more years. So, we wanted our purchase this time around to be our last car. We wanted something that would fit our age, our eyesight, and our reaction time to driving conditions here in Western Massachusetts. Since we get all four seasons, snow in particular, we needed something manageable, as well as safe. We had a Ford Tauras SEL, which was perfect for us, but, it was rear-ended and totaled. We walked away from that because of its design and build. So finding something that could be a match was a challenge. We found that match in the Equinox LT. We wanted an American made car, but that was more of a challenge.
Ok, for our experience with the Equinox LT. For us, it's perfect. It was priced right, the size is manageable for us, the creature comforts - electronics are an eyeopener, the workmanship/fit/materials are very good - even if made in Mexico. The start-stop feature for the engine every time we stop at a light, was something to get used to. I elected to turn the feature off, with a press of a button on the dash. Answering the phone and talking on the phone through the dashboard took getting used to, in addition to making sure it was turned off with other people in the car that I didn't want them party to my conversations. The 360-degree sensing systems that altered me to getting too close to the car in front of me. the cars and objects to either side of me, and a warning alert of objects that I was getting too close to while backing up, works amazingly well. The back seat and storage features in the back really let us think about camping, with a add on tent, especially made for small SUV's.
Now for something really amazing - video screen display. With a feature of selecting CAR INFORMATION, this standard system will tell you just about everything about your car. Example - oil life, individual tire pressures, coolant temp, battery voltage, liquid levels, and other stuff. Somewhere, I think a Kerick coffee maker is stuck in there. (just kidding)
The seats are perfect for us. The posture design comforts the passengers with support for the sides of the lower back, lumbar, center of the upper back/shoulders. We took a trip of about 90 miles both ways and stepped out of that car without any back fatigue. Handling on the interstate is good. I drove 18 wheelers coast to coast and through the lower 48 for years, and passing a car this size was watching the wind of my rig buffer it. But not this Equinox. It stayed right in the lane I was in. The crusie control on the steering wheel took some time to get used to, only because the buttons were close together - but after a while, no big deal. Also on the steering wheel was ANSWER/HANGUP the phone feature. Under the hood was another. clean fit, easy to get to stuff - not that I'm a wrench head anymore. Fuse compartment, battery access, coolant and other fluids are easy to reach and service by me. Overall, the engine bay is very well designed and laid out. The hood release latch does take a few moments to find and release, but I assume after a few more months of ownership, that'll get easier. Another thing about the engine compartment - IT'S QUIET. When the motor's running, you can hardly hear it. Another thing about the mechanical aspect of this car, we have AWD, and I can slect between all-wheel drive and just front wheel drive. For the summer, for the driving conditions we have, front wheel drive is good. For the winter, selecting all-wheel drive is great option for us and comes standard on this LT model. As for visibility while driving - it's very good. The driver's seat has good adjustments to suit just about any driver. I was also impressed with the paint job, the quality and placement of chrome and other features. Finally, what impressed me was the headlights. The " BRIGHTS" are truly bright. That's important to both my wife and I as we get older. These brights really light up the world, in front and the sides. Gas mileage is great. So far we average about 27 - 30 MPG, with combined city and highway driving. But then again, we're not speed merchants, and this is way too early to set those figures in concrete. We'll see.
I can't think about anything else. Is there something particular that you're interested in that I haven't touched upon?

I meant to add, the driver has options for seat and steering wheel placement. These features make sitting and steering on long trips very comfortable. Add cruise control to this, and being relaxed, and alter, is a good combination behind the wheel.
In the city, the responsiveness and manageability of this car is very good.

I have a 2020 Equinox great car. It’s the most comfortable car I ever owned. 37000 miles and I got 35 mpg from Cleveland to NY. If you decide to change your own oil, either get a fomoto valve or an extractor… easy work. Oil filter is up front no need to lift car. I’m 67 with a bad back and bum shoulder too.

Chevrolet has owners manuals online for current models.
I have a very similar car to yours, a 2023 Equinox RS AWD. I only have about 3k miles on it and am impressed with the car overall. The features, build quality and driving experience are good, the paint is flawless. All in all I am very happy with it.
I had a supply of oil and filters for it before we even had the car
0W20 Dexos 1 Gen 3 oil and a PF64 filter.

I meant to add, the driver has options for seat and steering wheel placement. These features make sitting and steering on long trips very comfortable. Add cruise control to this, and being relaxed, and alter, is a good combination behind the wheel.
In the city, the responsiveness and manageability of this car is very good.
Are you going to climb under the car yourself to do the oil change or are you just providing oil to your mechanic?
Being almost 80 that's a pretty good trick if you are going to do it yourself.

I like the good years of GM cars too. Had a '67 Chevelle SS, a 65 Buick Electra, a 66 Chevy II Nova and many others even a '74 Vega GT, (laugh) It was a hand me down. Can't refuse a free car!

- Ken

ARCOgraphite

Going under the car and popping a plug is no problem, other stuff gets a wrenchhead.
As far as car ownership, I've driven Fords. This is my first GM. I had a 2012 Ford Tauras SEL before, and I loved it. Strong acceleration, amazing comfort for a ride, and built solid. I had 137,000 miles on her before it was totaled. I wish Ford was
still making the Tauras, I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat. But the Tauras was the platform for some Lincolns, so that ended
the Tauras line. Besides, Ford did diddly squat advertising and promoting the Tauras.

I did notice one thing about the Equinox, compared to the Tauras that I dove. The Equinox is a much lighter automobile.
Hence, any small movement on the steering wheel has an immediate impact on where the car goes. The Tauras was far
more forgiving. But overall, this Equinox, in every way, is a perfect fit for us in our autumn years.

thanks very much chevybowtiedude! i have been looking at possible replacements for my 2013 vw passat s…”just in case” and because i like to look. i would prefer another passat, but like you and your late, lamented ford taurus, the passat is out of production and cpo prices are uncompetitive.

The oil change on this engine is very straightforward. The filter is very easy to access and the drain plug is near the filter.

ARCOgraphite

Going under the car and popping a plug is no problem, other stuff gets a wrenchhead.
As far as car ownership, I've driven Fords. This is my first GM. I had a 2012 Ford Tauras SEL before, and I loved it. Strong acceleration, amazing comfort for a ride, and built solid. I had 137,000 miles on her before it was totaled. I wish Ford was
still making the Tauras, I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat. But the Tauras was the platform for some Lincolns, so that ended
the Tauras line. Besides, Ford did diddly squat advertising and promoting the Tauras.

I did notice one thing about the Equinox, compared to the Tauras that I dove. The Equinox is a much lighter automobile.
Hence, any small movement on the steering wheel has an immediate impact on where the car goes. The Tauras was far
more forgiving. But overall, this Equinox, in every way, is a perfect fit for us in our autumn years.
You really corn fused me with your @chevybowtiedude screename! Sound like something a gen Xer would use :)
I see the 2012 is the newer design Taurus - that is a heavy car on the Lincoln MKS platform. Sorry it got smashed. I never like the too wide console up front taking up all the knee room.

Many New er cars with electric motor assisted steering have much too quick a steering ratio for safe driving, in my opinion.
But, do check you tire pressure. Just one or two psi above the drivers door post placard specification will often give a harsh ride and twitchy steering.

Maybe your dashboard has a tire pressure readout - my Ford does with a little car picture showing PSI for each tire. I check it every morning as I head off. - Ken

Back