Detergent Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
After reading my manuals on my Lawn Mowers , 1 riding , 1 push , I have noticed that it calls for a detergent motor oil with the API certification , which most oil has , and it should have a SF or SG rating ( for Detergent )
I have been putting Quaker, Kendall , or Pennsoil and have just now realized that they do not have the SF or SG rating ... whats the deal ? Do I really need the detergent oils / It seems detergent oil is hard to find anyways ... thanks for any comments >>> Larry B.
confused.gif

Larry,

All oils above the API rating of SC have detergents. I use Schaeffer's 15W40 #700 blend
in all outdoor engines since I found it to be the best price/performance value; and believe me, it has detergents!

LarryB,
I don't know why, but I run into more people (especially old-timers) who think that lawn mowers should use non-detergent motor oil.
rolleyes.gif

I think with that statement, they wanted to help quash that silly misconception. The oils you have been using are probably perfectly fine.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

I cant even think of a place to get non-detergent motor oil anymore except the grocery store, under the no-name brand, and in big letters that say 'non-detergent' motor oil.
dunno.gif

Tim H., Wal-Mart has ND oil ("SA" grade). I think they call it their "Genuine" brand. Something like $0.79 per quart. I wouldn't touch the stuff. It doesn't even have any ZDDP in it.
freak2.gif

For a better ND oil, Amalie makes a "SB" non-detergent oil in various weights (website: amalie.com??) which is available from independent parts jobbers which carry their line. I'd also suspect Carquest, Big A, NAPA and similar chains carry their brand of ND oil ... if you ask for it. Like I said, other than antique cars with original lead-poured bearings, I don't know of a single application this stuff is good for.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

The only other application I know of for non-detergent is the dashpot chamber on SU carbs [if you have an old British machine around...

If you do a search on compressors, you might be able to find a discussion we had many months on the proper compressor lube. According to some here, non-detergent motor oil was NOT the stuff to use. I forget why.
dunno.gif

Dashpots on SU carbs?
confused.gif
Oh, that's right. I think it was Peter Egan who said he got a British car and some rocket scientist put STP in the dashpots instead of motor oil.
shocked.gif

--- Bror Jace

Just a statement. I own a Karcher Power Washer. It has a chamber for a squash plate which is simply a couple of disk that move in a rotary motion around a shaft. One plate is wavey so it press' on the valves that pump the water thru as the shaft turns. This closed chamber uses synthetic oil, non detergent. Haven't found it anywhere yet so I use syn. detergent 30W. Incidently, you guys that have power washers don't want to let the cold weather set into the pump while there may still be water in it. It will cause you trouble later. Here's what I do to avoid that freezing weather problem.
Cut a short section of an old garden hose with the male end on it. Oh, make it about 18 to 24 inches long. Screw it into the inlet of the pump and raise the other end of the hose, up, 90 degrees. Now put a funnel in the end and pour in RV antifreeze. Make sure the motor won't start by removing the spark plug or shutting off the gas flow and pull the rope to spin the shaft several times. Repeat until you see the colored anti freeze coming out of the discharge side of the pump and all water is removed. Put the spark plug back in and store your washer until the next time you need it. You guys with electric power washers can do the same only be careful not to run the pump dry.
Hope I didn't bore you.
Chuck

[ November 18, 2002, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: ecorman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back