Delvac in a gasser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While not my first choice, I wouldn't be too concerned for a summer OCI. PLUS, I just got my Mobil Delvac FREE beanie today. Thin, but comfortable. If you want to rest your mind, look at owners manual for this vehicle in countries to the south and see what oil range the manufacture allows with federal regulation such as those in the good 'ol US of A.

Originally Posted By: cancov
While not my first choice, I wouldn't be too concerned for a summer OCI. PLUS, I just got my Mobil Delvac FREE beanie today. Thin, but comfortable. If you want to rest your mind, look at owners manual for this vehicle in countries to the south and see what oil range the manufacture allows with federal regulation such as those in the good 'ol US of A.

Agreed. It wouldn't be my first choice either (mine gets 5W-20 as recommended) but a 40 grade certainly isn't going to hurt anything. 40 grade is considered acceptable outside of the US, and then there was that whole "Special Service Message" telling dealers to put 10W-40 in them to quiet the cam phasers and get customers to stop complaining.

I got a 3v 5.4 and I have ran a few 40w. Seems lkke 5w40 made it a bit sluggish and gas mileage went down some. But now I run 0w40 and i cant tellthe ddifference between it and the thinner oils in terms of performance and mileage.

If I were going to run a 15w40 I would add marvel mystery oil with it to thin it down some. Hmmm I might try that with delo......

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: 95busa
Bad idea if it is a vct engine. Ohc + vct (which is operated by engine oil) is a bad combination for too heavy oil. Spec is 5w20. Maybe go 5w30. I have two 5.4 fords and run nothing but 5w20. JMHO.

This ^^

Mine is the 2v, not the 3v. As far as I know the VCT motors were only used in Explorer's and Mustang's

The 3V 5.4 with VCT was put in 2004-2010 F-150s and 2005-2010 F-250/350s. They're also in Expeditions, but I'm not sure exactly which years. My 2005 F-350 has one.

He may have a heritage

If you graph the two oils, there's about a 30F difference as to when the viscosity's are equal. IE, 5w-20 at 32 is as thick as 15w-40 at 60, so there shouldn't be any problem as long as it's not too cold outside.

If you want to use it, I would wait until the hot summer months since it is a bit thicker than what's recommended. I doubt it would hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back