Deka automotive batteries available at Ace Hardware

I wanted to try a Deka Gold 24F battery, but I couldn't find a distributor or retailer near me in North Carolina. I did find it available at www.acehardware.com for delivery to my nearby store for $170 minus a $20 Ace promo coupon for a net of $150, just $10 more than an Everstart Maxx 24F battery at Walmart. It may be worth a try for anyone looking for the Deka brand. It's a heavy sucker.

Good tip.
There's a well established Ace Hardware near me and never have I seen items like auto batteries.
My 'Dear old Dad' wasn't any kind of car guy but he liked Deka batteries for some reason.

Deka makes good stuff but I'm slightly concerned, since they're HQd in PA, that they make "Northern" batteries with thin plates for good CCAs, which suffer in the south, which is why they don't distribute them there.

How old is it ?
When I got to the store, I was concerned that the battery had a date of 12/2022. The store manager said I could return it if my charger showed it to be discharged. I hooked it up to my Schumacher SC-1200A and it showed an 80% charge. I got it up to 100% in three hours, so I'm keeping it. I never knew about Deka's thinner lead plates. This one weighs 41 pounds and was shipped from PA, even though there's an East Penn Manufacturing plant in Winston-Salem NC.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they do make thinner plates-- just that "importing" a battery not normally carried may be suboptimal "if" they tune them for specific climates, which I'm not even sure they do anymore.

Walmart, back forever ago, used to sell a universal batttery, the DT-3N or DT-3S, depending.

I wanted to try a Deka Gold 24F battery, but I couldn't find a distributor or retailer near me in North Carolina. I did find it available at www.acehardware.com for delivery to my nearby store for $170 minus a $20 Ace promo coupon for a net of $150, just $10 more than an Everstart Maxx 24F battery at Walmart. It may be worth a try for anyone looking for the Deka brand. It's a heavy sucker.
Nice to see another option. I looked and at least through my location, there are only 11 Deka automotive batteries offered (they also carry deep cycle, motorcycle and tractor). Only one is AGM, the rest are flooded, but sealed, maintenance free batteries.
Prices are only okay, but if you are an Ace Rewards member you get monthly coupons ($20 off $100 purchase) and discounts you can use, and Rakuten members currently get another 6% cash back as well.

Comparing a group 48 H6 AGM, the Deka would run me around $188 with a $20 off coupon and 6% Rakuten cash back vs Costco Interstate for $180. Also the Deka has a 30 month free replacement warranty, versus 36 month prorated warranty at Costco.

Last edited:
Deka makes good stuff but I'm slightly concerned, since they're HQd in PA, that they make "Northern" batteries with thin plates for good CCAs, which suffer in the south, which is why they don't distribute them there.
East Penn / Deka distributes plenty of batteries down here. Last I checked, they were the supplier for Batteries Plus SLI and marine batteries. They also supply batteries to Wal-Mart, NAPA, and probably some others. As usual, retailers will often have batteries produced by more than one supplier so what is stocked in your local stores may vary.

I have had multiple batteries made by East Penn that have lasted more than 5 years in NC... 2 of those are in service now and one was in a car I just traded in.

NB…

Those 24f batteries are not meant to be light my friend… :LOL:

The thin plate pure lead group 24f made by Northstsr weighs in at a super hefty… 58 pounds.

I’m glad to learn Ace Hardware is a possible location for East Penn made batteries.

Went to look for a Group 24 for my kids Scion (died today, no warning) and they are not able to get one at all (no in store availability or option to order it).
Guess I have to go with Walmart again.
The Group 24 Everstart is now $150!

Went to look for a Group 24 for my kids Scion (died today, no warning) and they are not able to get one at all (no in store availability or option to order it).
Guess I have to go with Walmart again.
The Group 24 Everstart is now $150!
how old is the battery for your kids Scion? brand? Wondering how long it lasted.. and I bet the $150 is the maxx version..

how old is the battery for your kids Scion? brand? Wondering how long it lasted.. and I bet the $150 is the maxx version..
It was a Toyota battery, sticker said 7/19. Had a 4 year warranty on it, so just missed it. Was in the car when we got it 8 months ago.
Yup, the Maxx is $150 now in this size, most others are $139 (just bought a 24F for my daughters Scion xB 2 weeks ago, had a Maxx from 12/19, got $25 off the new battery since that one had the 3 year/5 year pro rata warranty still)

It was a Toyota battery, sticker said 7/19. Had a 4 year warranty on it, so just missed it. Was in the car when we got it 8 months ago.
Yup, the Maxx is $150 now in this size, most others are $139 (just bought a 24F for my daughters Scion xB 2 weeks ago, had a Maxx from 12/19, got $25 off the new battery since that one had the 3 year/5 year pro rata warranty still)
Thanks for letting me know how much life you got out of the old one.. (y)

Back