Deflate-gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Wow. What a crazy insane witch hunt. What do you people want to do with this equipment manager. Put him on the rack until he confesses?

The Patriots are a bunch of

All the gas physics calculations are cool, but not necessary. I posted a video of an actual test of a few NFL footballs, and they saw they could get a drop of around 1.9 psi just from the temperature difference and the wet conditions.

Originally Posted By: Smcatub
Using Gay-Lussac's Law - P1/T1 = P2/T2

Does that apply to footballs? If you divide the ideal gas equation P1 = rho1*R*T1 by the same thing again, you get P1/P2 = (rho1/rho2)*(T1/T2).
Rearranging you get: (P1/T1) = (rho1/rho2)*(P2/T2)
So, is the Gay-Lussac Law assuming the football bladder has full resistance to expansion? ... I guess I'm sayin' that rho2 > rho1 in this deflategate case, since it was colder at game-time.

Gay-Lussac Law assumption from Wikipedia: Simply put, if a gas's temperature increases, then so does its pressure if the mass and volume of the gas are held constant.

Last edited:
Gay-Lussac's Law, assuming density1 = density2, that the football does not expand/contract (fixed-volume), I calculate a 1.2 psi drop in going from 75 degF (locker room) to 51 degF (game temperature).

If you assume density1 < density2, and that density2/density1 = 1.01, then a 1 psi drop occurs.

And some have said the wet conditions weaken the pigskin, so the density at game time might have been less than a dry warm locker room, I get density2/density1 = 0.97 assumed, to get a 2 psi drop !!!! So all the wet pigskin has to do is drop the density down by 3% to get the Patriot's result. And this matches the video I posted earlier in this thread where they actually tried this experimentally.

There are at least two youtube videos posted by people who know just a little bit more about science than an average jock. They had put instruments and measured the pressures and indeed it showed that what league observed at the half time could be explained with Patriots football starting at the low end of the scale.

Before some dumbskull asks why Colt's footballs did not lose air, you do not *know* that. All you know is that Colt's footballs were still within 12.5-13.5 They may started at higher end or could have been over inflated or inflated in cold environment. There is *nothing* to deny this speculation.

Now people are mad because the ball-boy took a leak before heading out on the field and carried the sack of footballs with him in the john. If he had left them unattended outside the john, he probably would been skewered even worse. He is a young boy, surely he could have hold it in for three hours!!!

This is what this deflate gate is turning in to; a urinegate

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Wow. What a crazy insane witch hunt. What do you people want to do with this equipment manager. Put him on the rack until he confesses?

I don't want them to do anything to the equipment manager...he just does what he's told to do, and anyone who thinks he wasn't told to deflate these balls is just being naïve...

He was told to keep at the lowest allowed limit. The physics takes over from that point onward. I bet your profession is not science or engineering.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The NFL is all fixed anyway.

Yep, it is the WWF but instead they play with their balls.
crackmeup2.gif
crazy2.gif
36.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Before some dumbskull asks why Colt's footballs did not lose air, you do not *know* that. All you know is that Colt's footballs were still within 12.5-13.5 They may started at higher end or could have been over inflated or inflated in cold environment. There is *nothing* to deny this speculation.

Sorry Vikas but you are incorrect. The 12.5-13.5 IS the spec for inflation by NFL rule. Any ball submitted for inspection that is over the 13.5 PSI would be deflated into the proper range by the Ref doing the inspection or disqualified and returned to the team. That 12.5 - 13.5 isn't the low range it is the ONLY range so it doesn't matter if the Colts submitted balls inflated higher because they wouldn't have passed inspection. They would have been dq'd or deflated into spec.

The balls are submitted for inspection 2 hours before the game and then after inspection they are held by the Ref's until being delivered to the team. So the Colts balls were inspected just as the Patriot balls were and then stored for 2 hours under the same conditions as the Patriot balls were. So if the Colts balls were still in spec after being outside and used some 2+ hours after the Ref's inspection( i.e. during warm ups and then the game )the Patriot balls should have been as well.

The fact that 11 of 12 Patriot balls were all down into the 10 PSI range( 12th ball was barely in spec it has been reported )yet all 12 of the Colts balls were still within spec speaks volumes. Something underhanded and fishy went on. Very possibly when the locker room attendant took a detour to the bathroom with them. It is just too big of a discrepancy to just pass it off as weather. I would support that theory if it was just a couple of the Patriot balls but not 11 of the 12 with the 12th almost being under as well. That is intentional IMO.

All the Colts balls were in spec and they faced the same conditions the Patriot balls did. To me that negates any weather defense. 11 of the 12 Patriot balls were underinflated by a lot and more than any weather defense would allow. Remember, game time temps were not really severe. It was 52F at the start and only fell into the upper 40's by the end( weather underground shows a temp of 46.9F at 11PM in Foxboro ). That small drop is not going to account for a 2+ PSI deflation of the footballs. Anyone who thinks it will is the "dumbskull" as you put it( it is numbskull btw ).

Here is the rule from NFL.Com on proper ball inflation...

Originally Posted By: NFL Ball Rule

Rule 2 The Ball
Section 1
BALL DIMENSIONS:

The Ball must be a “Wilson,” hand selected, bearing the signature of the Commissioner of the League, Roger Goodell. The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds)urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case(natural tan color)without corrugations of any kind.

It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight shall be: long axis, 11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21 to 21 1/4 inches; weight, 14 to 15 ounces.

The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.

I have heard that they dont actually check psi
They only weigh each ball and it has to be in spec

At the superbowl, maybe we'll actually see them check the balls 2 minutes before the game, just to be sure. Require cameras on this from now on!

I dont think each team should have their own footballs
The NFL should supply them and the teams have to like it or else
That would eliminate all this madness

Think this over. You have video of ball boy going to restroom but don't have the video of the official actually measuring the ball pressure? Don't you think it would have been already leaked by the league if they had the solid proof of that? Who really believes that officially routinely measure and note down the pressure for 24 (or is 48) balls before the game? Unfortunately, if the truth comes out, the official loses his job and league itself gets black mark. Did you read the weasel words used when league's statement read "balls were examined and were found satisfactory" (or something similar to that)? It never said official "measured the pressure and noted it down".

Once again, there is a simple and credible explanation for what has happened but you need to take off the tin-foil hat.

But it is fun to make BB as the Darth Vader of the football world. He gets paid enough money to withstand this, so I am enjoying the show.

Sounds old time crazy for teams to be bringing balls, and having them tested by the sanctioning body...try testing a football in you your fleet to see if you can hold air in as probing commences.

Sanctioning body blows them up, seals them in a serial numbered pressurised can, then cans are opened at the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back