Deere filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
JD D105 Lawn Tractor. Air filter part number is MIU13038. From the dealer and Home Depot, about $13.00. Looking for an aftermarket filter at a better price. On-line searches haven't turned up anything for me. Any ideas?

Unfortunately, there are some things that you have to just pay the dealer's price... and move on.

This is probably one of them. To get one mail order, you'll probably have to pay at least $5 to get it sent to you... and there goes your savings.

Thanks mrsilv, but alternative items don't all have to be mail-ordered, and even if they do, there is sometimes a free shipping option. I'll keep looking!

I agree with your desire to find alternatives.

However, after owning John Deere equipment for 30 years, I've found that many times, there simply isn't a cost effective alternative to the dealer or vendor. And you're not talking about something like a $400 gearbox here.

Who made the engine? Is it a Briggs, a Kawasaki, what?

It's a Briggs. Usually when Deere buys and re-labels an engine they try to wrap up all the parts sales by obscuring part numbers and such. I'm sure Briggs has sold this engine to other vendors with the same air filter, so it's just a matter of identifying it.

I have had good success in the past with my local O'Reilly Auto Parts finding cheaper alternatives. You may want to call them and see if they can find one out of their catalog. Unless you really pile up the hours, this is a one or two time annual expense.

I checked and Wix does not make this filter, either. All the on line sources I checked came in higher than your $13 price quote. The Amazon vendor was most outrageously priced (27 incl shipping).

Post over on My Tractor Forum.Com in the JD section.
If there is an aftermarket source, they would know.

Looks like a B&S 796031. I have not found them for much less than what you show for the JD part.

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
JD D105 Lawn Tractor. Air filter part number is MIU13038. From the dealer and Home Depot, about $13.00. Looking for an aftermarket filter at a better price. On-line searches haven't turned up anything for me. Any ideas?

I got tired of going through the same thing with a Simplicity only I was buying from the Deere store too because they are close. Here you go. SJM parts is way cheaper on lots of things and worth looking into.

http://www.sjmparts.com/filter-briggs-stratton-796031-st102012-p-21244.html

The people have a 8.99 flat rate shipping charge I think so there goes your savings. What I did was get a list of things like filters, spark plugs, air filters, fuel filters ect that I use on other stuff and stocked up. Cost me more than I wanted to spend up front but I will save it back big time over time. I saved a small fortune on one of the air filters I have to buy. It was 1/3 of the price the local dealers want. Good luck.

Last edited:
Do you only run it in sandstorms or do you really think $13 is a ridiculous asking price for an OEM air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back