Dear burglars, PICK ME! PICK ME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

If you can save a community future grief by catching the bad guys early...why not.

Even via thought police???
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

If you can save a community future grief by catching the bad guys early...why not.

Even via thought police???
whistle.gif

Apples and Oranges.

The bad guy that takes the bait and attempts to break into your home is not just having a
"thought" about it...is he?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

James O'Keefe will have a back story on this image soon....

james O Keefe. man what a moron.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Sounds pretty contrived Bill. Some people want to see an altercation rather than using common sense methods to deter thieves.

Please explain how owning a weapon protects your home when you are @ work?

The person who attepted to burgle my home ran when he realized it wouldn't be a cake walk. (saw me coming out the door) Security is a layed approach. You seem to want to discard all others for the sake of using just one. That's sad and ill advised.

please review what banks do when they leave @ night.
edit: It is used "in addition" to the possible armed guy standing there during the day.

Tell me how an alarm protects my home when I'm at work? Most can NOT have a outside alarm. Most police departments consider alarms lowest priority that are unverified.

So the bad guy breaks into the house. The phone rings and rings. Wait a minute and another set of calls from the alarm co. Then they call your cell phone or work number. *If* they get ahold of you then they call the police. The police arrive 10-15-30 minutes later (or more)

How did that alarm work for you? The bad guy is LONG gone with your items.

A gun DOES protect people. Millions of times a YEAR. The antis don't get that nor want to believe it. MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of times each year firearms are used with NOTHING going wrong. Oh forgot that.

But someone who kills others with one is SURE to obey any Antis feel good dumb laws.

Very few banks have armed guards. Most have cameras that take photos AFTER the deed is done. The alarm does not CATCH very many while it is happening.

But the police do come by and wait for the FBI....

My problem with most is people want others to do their work. Want someone else to "protect" them. Others to change their oil (this is a oil board after all) then when something goes wrong they wonder how it happened!

NO ONE is going to care about your safety or property (incl vehicles) more than YOU. Also life is a risk.

Minimize the risks and get on with it.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I've never owned an alarm but know of three incidents where a friend had an alarm and got burgled. The first two were homes burgled by the same guy and the second is when he was nabbed. The victims were away at their weekend house when the guy broke in, but the alarm was enough for police (Jackson Twp., NJ - credit where it is due) to nab the guy.

The third was a business and the theif got away with a couple hundred dollars. That was a very well planned operation that involved breaking in, sawing a safe open, and being out in under fifteen minutes. Insurance covered it, but as you can imagine they raised their rates. It cost the business owner $5k to install monitoring equipment to qualify for a discount to offset the rate increase. He would have been better off to eat the loss.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

James O'Keefe will have a back story on this image soon....

james O Keefe. man what a moron.

Disagree. he unearths some good stuff. Stay tuned for this story.

My experience with the alarm I set off at my sister's home was that it was one or two minutes before she got called. Assuming Police are at least five minutes away any reasonably intelligent criminal will be long gone. I think a DVR system is a better investment, it probably has more deterrent power and might actually be helpful getting your stuff back, but at least some pictures for law enforcement to do anything with.

As to Banks... after a decade in the banking industry the cameras are on all the time, not just after an alarm. Don't break into a bank after hours it would be the most pointless cause. I wouldn't rob one either. The only five digit or higher incidents I've heard of have be inside jobs. The movie where they get seven figures in fifteen minutes with a concrete hole saw is just that... a movie.

As to the sign I'd agree it's probably not the best thing to have in your yard. Crossbows were pretty clever. I was thinking house full of ninjas.

Whether an alarm system will stop a burglar or bad guy at a personal residence depends entirely on the local situation. Here, the police department is so cash and resource strapped that they stopped responding to alarm calls years ago. They won't respond to anything less then an armed robbery. BUT, having an alarm with cameras, a deafening siren, and neighbors who look out for each other can help.

Last edited:

So the bad guy breaks into the house. The phone rings and rings. Wait a minute and another set of calls from the alarm co. Then they call your cell phone or work number. *If* they get ahold of you then they call the police. The police arrive 10-15-30 minutes later (or more)

A gun DOES protect people. Millions of times a YEAR. The antis don't get that nor want to believe it. MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of times each year firearms are used with NOTHING going wrong. Oh forgot that.

Which is why one might have the alarm tied to a cellphone, so if the call comes in you can get it and say no right away.

The dispatcher also typically calls police next if the phone is not answered.

SO whats the timeframe for the thief? 10-15 minutes? Sure they could smash and grab things, including loose guns which is how most criminals get theirs... but they arent going to be able to remove much large stuff.

And if nobody is home, who will shoot the criminal anyway?

While Ive seen the stats that more criminals break in with folks home in some other countries, how much of that is due to firearms is anyones' guess. It is related to some extent, which is why Id never be against guns for self defense. But the simple logic of breaking in when nobody is home is just the right way to go... And again, who will shoot the criminal when nobody is home? Guns or no guns...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Which is why one might have the alarm tied to a cellphone, so if the call comes in you can get it and say no right away.

The dispatcher also typically calls police next if the phone is not answered.

SO whats the timeframe for the thief? 10-15 minutes? Sure they could smash and grab things, including loose guns which is how most criminals get theirs... but they arent going to be able to remove much large stuff.

And if nobody is home, who will shoot the criminal anyway?

While Ive seen the stats that more criminals break in with folks home in some other countries, how much of that is due to firearms is anyones' guess. It is related to some extent, which is why Id never be against guns for self defense. But the simple logic of breaking in when nobody is home is just the right way to go... And again, who will shoot the criminal when nobody is home? Guns or no guns...

Call your Police dept. Ask them if a Alarm company calls with a unverified alarm what is their response? If they show up and nothing is found what is the fee?

Plenty of folks can not answer their phones when at work. How about if you are at some place that does not allow phones?

Nice that we glanced over the part about firearms being used millions of times per year for defense. Or ever more times with no one being hurt.

Or that most bad guys don't FOLLOW laws... That is what makes them a bad guy.

Bill

Call your Police dept. Ask them if a Alarm company calls with a unverified alarm what is their response? If they show up and nothing is found what is the fee?

I know it is in my town they come every time and it's free. We have higher property taxes but we get services with them so I can't complain that much.

There's nothing to argue about firearms being used for good purposes many times, it absolutely is the case. And anyone that is trying to deny that is foolish.

Sure the bad guys will always ignore the law, that is true. But to deny that there is a gun proliferation issue amongst the criminals, that unfortunately stems from people who have purchased legally and either performed a straw purchase or didn't properly secure the firearms, is like an ostrich putting its head in the sand

I know a guy that could post that sign. Zeus his dog a pit bull makes owning a gun needless, not to mention another Pit Bull mix, " oh my God" named after the expression said by guy doing no good. Zeus and Oh My God are really gentile and not a threat almost all the time.

That sign to me says a place that thought their security over.

If I were a burglar, I'd rather go somewhere with easier prey. Who knows if that homeowner knows martial arts, has blades/ crossbows/ vicious dogs?

Yeah I'd avoid gun nuts and alarm systems as well unless I wanted to burgle guns, but that'd make me a fairly professional/ aggressive burglar.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I know it is in my town they come every time and it's free. We have higher property taxes but we get services with them so I can't complain that much.

There's nothing to argue about firearms being used for good purposes many times, it absolutely is the case. And anyone that is trying to deny that is foolish.

Sure the bad guys will always ignore the law, that is true. But to deny that there is a gun proliferation issue amongst the criminals, that unfortunately stems from people who have purchased legally and either performed a straw purchase or didn't properly secure the firearms, is like an ostrich putting its head in the sand

You may be surprised that many police departments charge if its a false alarm. And some don't go unless someone has verified it being "real". Businesses pay even more and have more rules.

One city.

Here is a police department who responds to panic/holdup alarms only.

False alarm polices for another PD.

Most alarms are false so I'd bet your police department is the same. I've never seen one that does not have Alarm procedures in place like above.

Also I've never seen one that does not require a permit/licence per year and if you don't have one when they respond they fine you hundreds of $$.

The alarm business is a racket. One of the biggest top end ones in the US is based in Orem and I know a few of their employees. Money in the bank for them.

Just go on ebay and get a few stickers to put in your yard/house for the same effect to bad guys IMO.

Straw purchases are already against the law. First question they ask on the form. If this is a problem how about we enforce that law instead of making more?

Stealing is already against the law. Mr Bad Guy will ignore that but will obey another? The antis can pass another law but how are they going to enforce it for storage?

Education is important and should be offered at time of purchase. We need to make breaking the law more serious. And if you want to ring that bell a few times then it will stink to be you since most crimes are repeat offenders.

Since its illegal to keep records on firearms purchases with the last congress I guess that is off the table? It was passed and signed into law...

Silly me. Antis will add one thing to get their package passed but when it gets in their agenda they just write another. One word for that...

Corruption

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
I know a guy that could post that sign. Zeus his dog a pit bull makes owning a gun needless, not to mention another Pit Bull mix, " oh my God" named after the expression said by guy doing no good. Zeus and Oh My God are really gentile and not a threat almost all the time.

Esp after drinking coolant (seen it many times) or getting shot (again seen it many times)

Teach your dogs to not drink or eat from strangers. Bad guys know how to take care of "pets".

Come by 15 minutes before the crime to scope out the place. Knock on the door to see if someone answers.

The old saying "if someone wants it they will get it". The thing is to make it take longer than they want to risk being caught or shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back