Dealership 'Free Oil Changes for Life'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take the free oil change. Oil is oil. BUT as someone else here suggested, MARK the oil filter, or take a screw driver and put a big scratch in it so you can be sure the employee changed it. That goes for any oil change anyplace on the planet.

If it was a quick in and out, I'd consider the free oil changes but I hate sitting there for hours to do something I can do myself in 15 minutes and I enjoy doing it myself.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
You want to ask someone in parts what oil they use for bulk. Usually we are the ones that write the Purchase Orders for the oil supplier and get to see their invoices. I know that based on the receipts from our vendor that all of the oil in our shop is genuine Motorcraft, except for the Castrol Edge 0W20 or Idemitsu 0W20 we get from Mazda.

I agree. The technicians don't have the info of which brand he is using, he only know that he is using the correct grade according to the work order and/or the computer, only the ones in the right dept, in this case part dept, have this info.

My daughter 2014 Accord had 30k/2yrs free oil changes at dealer, she had the last free oil change few weeks ago(mileage was 28,xxx miles), she didn't have any problem with any and all oil changes.

I believe for any 1 problem with oil change at any dealer there was more than 1000 successful ones. The problem is the ones that had successful oil changes didn't post anything about about, but the ones with problem(s) do complain loudly.

This is BITOG. the word "Positive" and "Dealership" doesn't exist in the same sentence here on this board.

On a side note, I go to the dealership to change the oil for my wife's 2012 Subaru Legacy. It's a 30 minute job max. This includes a free car wash and a tire rotation if I request it. The price is reasonable when you use the coupon on their website. Yes, they are looking for additional repairs as the miles move forward. But that's sound business.

Personally, I don't trust many techs or especially grease monkeys to change my oil. They will cross thread or way over tighten bolts. No thank you.

I don't know how you use your Accord, but as we use ours, OCIs are in the 8K range and could be more like 9K if I were to go to 5% MM and maybe even longer in the mild CA climate.
It doesn't bother me at all to put the car on ramps and get under it on those intervals.
This also gives me control over the oil and filter used.
It's also undoubtedly quicker, since I doubt that tying up a rack to do a free service on a customer car is a priority for any dealership service department.
Free is good, but you also always get what you pay for.

Not much of a "selling point" from my perspective but they closed the deal.

Ain't nothing 'free' of course, so no thanks to those OCs and I'll be on my way. Bye.

I would likely take the dealer up on the free oil changes. If its not too far out of the way to go. As others suggested marking the oil filter to make sure they change it. I would steer clear once the car's warranty runs out. Right after the warranty runs out there will be a long list of urgent problems that need to be fixed.

Failed oil changes from me = 0. Never had a loose filter or stripped plug. Sure I take my time as I want to do it right.

Dealerships/quick change shops = many. I can't even recall the major failures I know about from these places. More than I can count on 2 hands for sure. The shop is trying to make money on basically a commodity oil change service you can get nearly anywhere. Using cheaper components such as filters and oil. At best they might get an air filter or wipers maybe something more.

To me this equals do it myself until I no longer can.

Looking at the "signatures" on some of these replies-it's my observation that many haven't been to a new car dealership in several years......don't know how they would know good/bad they are.

Last edited:
My 15 malibu has 2 yrs 24k frree oil changes. (4 O/C limit). Also rotate the tire 2. I've only got 2.5k on her so far and im a lil leery about let a lube tech touch my car.

Since you said the service was quick, I would use it but tell them in the future how they left it and not to be such slobs in the future.

Originally Posted By: Run
I would likely take the dealer up on the free oil changes. If its not too far out of the way to go. As others suggested marking the oil filter to make sure they change it. I would steer clear once the car's warranty runs out. Right after the warranty runs out there will be a long list of urgent problems that need to be fixed.

+1 Use it until the warranty is up. That way if there are ever any issues with the car you can say they were the only people to ever touch it. Plus they will have the records of it. The Honda or Pennzoil syn blend are good oils and they most likely use the OEM filter (i like the idea of marking it or etching it, that way you can be sure it was changed.)

Fluid monitoring and changing are kind of important to the life of your vehicle. Free is not exactly the value I put on such work. My plan is that as long as I'm physically able to drive I can do the fluids as well. I would rather a dealership or repair shop not use the word "free" especially when doing important work on my vehicle. It does not convey the feeling of an important job well done.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
My 15 malibu has 2 yrs 24k frree oil changes. (4 O/C limit). Also rotate the tire 2. I've only got 2.5k on her so far and im a lil leery about let a lube tech touch my car.

My first experience at the local Chevy store was bad. Sump overfilled by a full quart and rotated tires set to grossly incorrect pressures with tpms not reset to the new locations.

Worth exactly what I paid for it...

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
OneEyeJack,

Do you prefer "complimentary"?

If I had to have it done by someone else I'd rather just pay for it and leave any reference to free service out of the deal. Nothing is "free" or "complimentary". Sometimes the most expensive things in life are hidden behind the word free or covered by an expression like, "you deserve...".

That's what I'm worried about. Also worried about some lube tech stripping my pan. I could rotate and do the oil change at my job i just gotta pay for the bottle oil change service because I'll bring my own oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back