Dangers of Tire Aging

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the risk of ridicule, I'm posting the picture of a tire I used a couple years ago. It's an old unused spare that was 10 years old when I decided to put it in service. No dry rot. After the second summer of service, the tire fell apart halfway into a 4 hour drive home on a Sunday night.

When the tire fell apart, I heard something hit the body of the car. I pulled over at the nearest exit to examine the car and found nothing amiss (the visible damage was on the inboard side). I didn't know what condition the tire was in until a week later when - deciding to check things out closer - I ran my hand over the tread, and almost cut myself doing so!

mbtire.jpg

Discount Tire here in WA has a new sign in their lobby that says they will not install any tire that's more than 10 years old.

I did a lot of research online when looking for replacement ST tires for my trailer. Everything I found had a bias (no pun intended) and all lacked any sort of factual data. The truth probably lies somewhere "in the middle".

Originally Posted By: Kestas
mbtire.jpg

Falken tires are pretty much junk from the get go, aren't they?

Our '04 Jaguar is still on the Pirelli P-Zero's the factory mounted. They have good tread, are still quiet, hold pressure perfectly, and look good without cracks. The car sits inside, in the dark.

I hate to throw away good tires, but it looks like we will have yet another summer where ambient air temps are well above 100 F for weeks on end, and the roads will be blistering hot.

I'm thinking I may go ahead and change them just to be on the safe side, or limit the car to around town use, only.

I'm replacing rather expensive Y-speed rated Michelin Pilot Sports this weekend, with PLENTY of tread left, simply because they are now over 7 years from manufacture date. They "look" terrific and sit in the garage most of the time.

It's cheaper than having a 40 series blow out in high speed interstate traffic.

I live by the motto that the most critical component of the vehicle are the tires, with brakes next.

On a plus side since your changing them you can do a ton of burn outs and get some entertainment out of that remaining tread!

XJ8's slide real nice! Ask me how I know lol...

Originally Posted By: Win
Falken tires are pretty much junk from the get go, aren't they?

I wonder if their Max performance tires (RT-615Ks) have these same problems, or do they wear out before they have a chance to develop said problems due to their (not even in reality) 200 treadwear rating, and the way most people who own them beat the daylights out of them??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
I'm replacing rather expensive Y-speed rated Michelin Pilot Sports this weekend, with PLENTY of tread left, simply because they are now over 7 years from manufacture date. They "look" terrific and sit in the garage most of the time.

I live by the motto that the most critical component of the vehicle are the tires, with brakes next.

What size are they? If they'll fit her GN, my wife may want them.

Capri,
I've always had plenty of warning when a tire was getting really bad, and I've never had a tire fail in service because I pay attention to increases in vibration or lack of roundness without regard to balance.
Will a failing tire typically warn you, assuming it's been kept properly inflated, hasn't been tracked and doesn't look to be falling apart, before it finally fails?
That has been my experience, but I'm willing to be told that I'm wrong.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

You'll have to go dumpster diving at this point.

Honestly, I didn't think they were safe enough for my own car. I'd never let my own wife drive on them. You'd be gambling to put tires that old on any car, especially in the hot summer. I think the safest place for them is the dumpster, sorry to say.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Capri,
I've always had plenty of warning when a tire was getting really bad, and I've never had a tire fail in service because I pay attention to increases in vibration or lack of roundness without regard to balance.
Will a failing tire typically warn you, assuming it's been kept properly inflated, hasn't been tracked and doesn't look to be falling apart, before it finally fails?
That has been my experience, but I'm willing to be told that I'm wrong.

We had a defective GY tire blow out at interstate speeds about 15 years ago. It was only 3-4 years old. It gave zero warning at speed, and there were no outside indicators in advance. Fortunately, no one was hurt and the damage was limited to tire and wheel. GY replaced it, but that was small consolation. But it woke us up to these things.

I've since been involved in trucking and tire cases over the years, and have worked with some forensic experts who see these things after they fail. Commercial truck tires are very different beasts from passenger car tires, but they're all round, rubber, and can fail. Physics, engineering and materials science are the same.

A couple quick (well-known) facts I've also learned: At 60 mph, a passenger tire must resist an OUTWARD centrifugal force of approximately two tons. And the heat generated in braking a full-sized car from 60 mph is enough to melt a pound of iron. A lot of that goes on inside the tire, where it can't be seen.

The industry is all over the place on any bright line "use by" date on tires. Michelin is presently at 10, but some automakers are as low as 6 years. So CR is right that it's a big grey window subject to a lot of factors. Underinflate, keep it out in the sun, and maybe it fails one day like today (98F) at 70mph after 6 or 8 years.

That is why I err on the side of caution in these matters and dumped what some might think were still "good" Michelin UHP donuts at 7-8 years. I don't want to kill anyone to save a couple bucks.

I had 8.5 year old Sears Michelin Weatherwise tires on my 94 Honda Accord, they were about 50k miles... finally noticed sidewall cracking last month and decided to replace them, I'm glad I did with the extreme heat we've been having here in SC currently. I have a feeling that they could have failed.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

You'll have to go dumpster diving at this point.

Honestly, I didn't think they were safe enough for my own car. I'd never let my own wife drive on them. You'd be gambling to put tires that old on any car, especially in the hot summer. I think the safest place for them is the dumpster, sorry to say.

It's just a number...heck, NASCAR ran a race on 8-year-old tires a few years back. I go purely by condition, not age...I have seen 3-year-old tires I would never use and 10-year-old tires I'd run in a second. One of the drive tires on my bus is about 8 years old. I did a 4000+ mile road trip with it a few weeks ago.

A few years ago I drove to florida in my parents 1986 Toyota Dolphin motorhome (30k miles) with the ORIGINAL Bridgestones. Then 2 years later I drove to South Carolina with the same tires.
I figured if one of them went, I'd buy a set enroute, but they were fine.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Capri,
Will a failing tire typically warn you, assuming it's been kept properly inflated, hasn't been tracked and doesn't look to be falling apart, before it finally fails?.......

That's an awful lot of qualifiers - and typically people don't listen to all the qualifiers when they read these things, so I am going to start out by saying:

There are 3 types of failure - road hazard, durability, and functional.

Functional failures are the kind where the tire fails to perform - and mostly we are talking about traction - so I don't feel the need to discuss that here.

Road hazards are generally quick with little warning. That may seem fairly obvious, but people tend to forget that after they have a road hazard failure. They want to blame the tire and don't consider that it just might be something in the road.

Durability failures generally have some kind of warning before the catastrophic failure - a bulge, a vibration, etc.

But lots of folks are pretty insensitive to the warning signs. They don't inspect their tires. They don't feel the vibrations - or they don't feel them change over time.

Last edited:
Functional failures are the result of people expecting more from a tire than it can deliver. If you've used a set of tires for a few thousand miles, you should have a pretty good idea of what to expect from them, and some tires are scary slippery under some conditions, but the driver who pays attention already knows this.
Road hazard failures are a variable you can't control, although they can often be avoided if the driver pays attention to the road ahead. Avoiding or straddling a piece of metal in the road or a killer pothole isn't hard if the driver looks ahead and pays attention.
Too many people drive by following another vehicle closely and using it as a reference point.
Durability failures give plenty of warning in my experience, so should rarely result in an unpredictable failure.
Obviously, if anyone is setting out on a long road trip and they have suspect tires, replacing them before leaving home would be a good plan.
Given the life you get from a set typical daily driver all season tires, they really are pretty cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back