Damaged Purolator Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I noticed the the newer filters have been redesigned. WONDER WHY" ? Here's why. Purolator acknowledged that the 'older cartridge' design without a centertube was not acceptable. Purolator's response is posted below in kkreit's post. Design changed.
21.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2179294#Post2179294

But seeing as there lots of filter choices, is one is not satisfied changing brands is easy.

Sayjac, do you really believe that I did not know why they changed the design!!! My beef is that they did not acknowledge that there was a problem, as it was obvious.

Oh well, as the link shows Puro acknowledged others and fixed the issue. On the Ford Fusion board in Dec. 06 one member said" I called them (Puro) and they said they're aware of the problem and are working on it. At least they're honest and up front about it."
21.gif

Perhaps you know why they changed the design, others reading might not have. The link spells it specifically, also showing Puro did respond the concerns with a change in design.

Like I said, lots brands, don't like Puro cartridge, use OEM, simple. As I don't have to be concerned Puro cartridge filters, the canisters, Classic and P1 have always treated me right. No reason for me to switch.

I am sure that things have changed at Purolator from 06 to 09 when I sent the filter in. Any indication from Puro that there was a problem would have been positive , I got none. Purolator in general makes a Quality product, I don't dispute that. But when there is a problem they should achknowledge it . Possibily there is a new mindset since the buyout.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead

I think it would be interesting to test the cut-open filters to see how much force it takes to rip the media. That'd be interesting.

As I mentioned somewhere in this thread, this particular Purolator Classic had media that you could hear trying to tear when the pleats were simply spread open to inspect down inside them. I don't recall this happening on the PureOne filters I've cut open, so maybe it's unique to the media in the Classic. Plus this Classic had 2 less pleats than the same filter in the PureOne model. I thought that might have contributed to the pleat tearing due it flattening out.

BTW - I have not heard any word back from Purolator except the initial message that the Engineering Dept would get back to me ... but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe I'll bug them again.

Any update?

If this had been a Fram you guys would be crucifying them.Every brand will have some bad ones.I had a failure many years ago with a Pu classic but I still use them from time to time.I would use a Fram again if the price is right but for the same money I use Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead

I think it would be interesting to test the cut-open filters to see how much force it takes to rip the media. That'd be interesting.

As I mentioned somewhere in this thread, this particular Purolator Classic had media that you could hear trying to tear when the pleats were simply spread open to inspect down inside them. I don't recall this happening on the PureOne filters I've cut open, so maybe it's unique to the media in the Classic. Plus this Classic had 2 less pleats than the same filter in the PureOne model. I thought that might have contributed to the pleat tearing due it flattening out.

BTW - I have not heard any word back from Purolator except the initial message that the Engineering Dept would get back to me ... but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe I'll bug them again.

Any update?

Nope ... I just pinged them again to see what they say.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
"I noticed the the newer filters have been redesigned. WONDER WHY" ? Here's why. Purolator acknowledged that the 'older cartridge' design without a centertube was not acceptable. Purolator's response is posted below in kkreit's post. Design changed.
21.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2179294#Post2179294

But seeing as there lots of filter choices, is one is not satisfied changing brands is easy.

cool. thats a +rep for purolator in my book... but I can see how Dan's point of puro playing it off. At the same time I would get a warm fuzzy feeling if I sent in one of these hourglass filters. Good to know a big company listens from time to time.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
ZeeOSix, was there ever a response from Purolator?

This was were it ended. It became too much trouble for me at the time. Purolator did respond well, I just didn't follow all the way through. I think I did send them a link to this thread, so they saw the photos of the failure.

Message from Purolator:

In response to your claim, due to the fact, the filter has already been cut open, I am obligated to direct you to the claims lab. (800) 848-3783 Vicki or Barbara

Thanks,

James

This was were it ended. It became too much trouble for me at the time. Purolator did respond well, I just didn't follow all the way through.

Message from Purolator:

In response to your claim, due to the fact, the filter has already been cut open, I am obligated to direct you to the claims lab. (800) 848-3783 Vicki or Barbara

Thanks,

James

I take that to mean that faulty filters are supposed to be spotted from the outside? If you cut one open and find a problem we are going to claim you damaged it opening it?

Or are you getting something else from that?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

This was were it ended. It became too much trouble for me at the time. Purolator did respond well, I just didn't follow all the way through.

Message from Purolator:

Thanks,

James

I take that to mean that faulty filters are supposed to be spotted from the outside? If you cut one open and find a problem we are going to claim you damaged it opening it?

Or are you getting something else from that?

Don't know honestly. I never followed up enough ... I had other things going on that made me drop the whole thing. Guess I could call the 800 claims number and see what they do for you in this situation.

UPDATE: I called the claim dept number listed above. Told them the story, and they wanted to send me a return kit so they could see the filter - that's probably why I dropped it - did have time to mess with it at the time. I've thrown the filter away now, so sent the gal photos and told her the Engineering Dept can call me if they want more info.

I just want Purolator to know what's going on so they can address the problem. My gut feel is they need to add a couple more pleats, or have better manufacturing control on how the pleats are spaced out. This failure mode is pretty obvious that the excessive pleat spacing has caused the pleat to bent over and tear due to oil flow force on the pleat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back