2014 Nissan Murano CVT fluid

I changed out the stabilizer-bar end links on our friend's 2014 Nissan Murano, and did a short test drive afterwards.

The transmission (CVT) seemed to hesitate slightly going into gear, and seemed a bit jerky getting underway. The vehicle has 319K km (c. 198K miles) on it. Our friend has not had it for long, so I don't know whether the CVT is original or when it was last serviced.

I'm well aware of the bad reputation the JATCO CVTs have, but wonder if a fluid change might help.

I would do a drain and fill using a dedicated CVT fluid. Rock Auto carries Aisin fluid which meets the NS3 spec.

My only hesitation is concern about the tranny already possibly being on the way out, and failing shortly a fluid change (the fluid change being coincidental, not causal).

If I do volunteer to do this, I also wonder about additives. BITOG folks speak highly of Lubegard products; is there one for CVTs?

Thanks!

I've used Valvoline and Castrol CVT fluids in a well used, ex Hertz 2015 Altima. I think the Castrol is my favorite.
I just used LubeGard in a 170K mile Chev City Express, which is a Nissan NV200. Good stuff.

Only problem is current fluid costs... Sheesh.

I changed out the stabilizer-bar end links on our friend's 2014 Nissan Murano, and did a short test drive afterwards.

The transmission (CVT) seemed to hesitate slightly going into gear, and seemed a bit jerky getting underway. The vehicle has 319K km (c. 198K miles) on it. Our friend has not had it for long, so I don't know whether the CVT is original or when it was last serviced.

I'm well aware of the bad reputation the JATCO CVTs have, but wonder if a fluid change might help.

I would do a drain and fill using a dedicated CVT fluid. Rock Auto carries Aisin fluid which meets the NS3 spec.

My only hesitation is concern about the tranny already possibly being on the way out, and failing shortly a fluid change (the fluid change being coincidental, not causal).

If I do volunteer to do this, I also wonder about additives. BITOG folks speak highly of Lubegard products; is there one for CVTs?

Thanks!

I don’t start changing my Nissan Altima VQ CVT until 283,500 miles on it. I found Eneos Eco CVT fluid noticeably quieted down my car’s transmission after I did just one drain and refill. Eventually I did 2 more drain and refills on it.

My car made it to 365,500 miles before the transmission gave up. Though I believe it got hurt when on a rainy day I drove on a area of bricks laid in the road and was using a lot of throttle in it and it caused the wheels to slip very badly and I think that really really messed with that transmission. Because it started acting funny later that same night.

Back