[Cut Open] NEW NAPA Platinum 41515

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
I went looking for a NAPA Platinum this morning and the store I went to had none at all, and they wanted $13.59 for the NAPA Gold for my car, so I can just imagine how pricey the Platinum will be if it comes up here!

YIKES

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Do you guys think that the 41040 will be good for two 7500 mile oci's? I know that it's accepted that the larger filters will handle it fine, but what about the smaller ones?

I think people are running Golds that long aren't they? I would think the Platinum would be able to at least that. I wouldn't do that OCI right away though on the new engine.

Last edited:
I went looking for a NAPA Platinum this morning and the store I went to had none at all, and they wanted $13.59 for the NAPA Gold for my car, so I can just imagine how pricey the Platinum will be if it comes up here!

Yeah, seen the price of Gold lately?
lol.gif
wink.gif
Seriously, that seems like a royal rip-off price on a NAPA Gold unless it's some 1/2 qt can sized filter or something. Of course you're in Canada where the prices are higher, but still ...

OUCH....that's M1 & K&N territory! Patman, have you checked any off the beaten path sources? I found a heavy truck place that has Baldwins for an excellent price and noticed yesterday that an independent commercial oil depot lists Purolator.

Just got back from my local Napa and got the Gold 1522 for $5.43 and the Platinum 41522 for $8.04. The guy said they were on sale till the end of August.

Had my first cold start with this filter on my '02 V6 Camry today...oil light went out immediately and no rattle at all. This makes me believe that this is NOT a Champ Labs filter (as some speculate) because any M1, RP and K&N filter I have ever used have always left the light on for up to 2 seconds and produced a rattle. (I used an oversized PLF 51516). I am pleased so far!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: cp3
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Do you guys think that the 41040 will be good for two 7500 mile oci's? I know that it's accepted that the larger filters will handle it fine, but what about the smaller ones?

I think people are running Golds that long aren't they? I would think the Platinum would be able to at least that. I wouldn't do that OCI right away though on the new engine.

Running a 51040/1040 for 15k? Could be? I'd think that the Platinum would handle it too, but you what they say about assuming....

FWIW, the Platinums and the extended drains wont start right away. I'll have her get a few thousand miles on it first.

blush.gif
oops, missed the two!

Lets's see....new answer.

If I was going to run a filter for two OCIs, I'd be willing to do it on a 51040 and definitely with a 41040. Wix sees to be solidly constructed, may even filter better the second time around.

Hey Tex can you post a full pic of the mounting plate for this filter. I have one in hand and my mounting plate looks totally different. Kind of has the indent like the Purolators. Here's the pic.

IMG-20110808-00157.jpg

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
Hey Tex can you post a full pic of the mounting plate for this filter. I have one in hand and my mounting plate looks totally different. Kind of has the indent like the Purolators. Here's the pic.

IMG-20110808-00157.jpg

2e0latf.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2e0latf.jpg

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa

IMG-20110808-00157.jpg

2e0latf.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2e0latf.jpg

Look at that, brand new filter with totally different plates.

You think 2 different companies are making these?

One's a larger diameter filter vs. the other,i.e PF52 vs PF1218.

maybe that has something to do with the different stampings.

Originally Posted By: daman
One's a larger diameter filter vs. the other,i.e PF52 vs PF1218.

maybe that has something to do with the different stampings.

What stampings you talking about?

They both look like Wix filters to me? What's your filter number? I've got a 41040 that looks the same as yours and mine is definitely Wix.

Originally Posted By: cp3

OUCH....that's M1 & K&N territory! Patman, have you checked any off the beaten path sources? I found a heavy truck place that has Baldwins for an excellent price and noticed yesterday that an independent commercial oil depot lists Purolator.

I'm sure there are plenty of little parts stores here in Mississauga that I could check out, but I just don't feel like driving around to all of them, even though I do have the time right now (I've been off work since June 25th and don't go back until August 29th)

I just prefer getting my oil filters from Canadian Tire or PartSource, when on sale of course!
smile.gif

Looks good. I have one here I want to cut apart and compare. I now have Amsoil, mobil 1, and the new Platinum. My cost on the Platinum filter is $8.04.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back