Cut Open MC FL784

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a cut open FL874 after only a few hundred miles of operation on a freshly rebuilt engine. As I was under the truck doing something completely unrelated, I literally WATCHED as this filter sprang a leak. First thought it was the seal but it turned out to be where the can was clamped to the base. I normally use the larger, more efficient FL1995 but figured I'd use this as a "cleanup" throw away filter. Well, I cleaned it up (see nearby "AAAKKK- Grunge in MC Filter" post but had to change it a lot earlier than planned
FL784LR.jpg

If you are wondering where the ADBV is... there isn't one. Not designed to have it. Beside the leak, it's a well constructed filter... typical of MCs.

Jim--is this from your diesel? I would agree (other than the leak) it looks like a nice filter.

Yes, it's from my '86 F250 6.9L diesel. The FL1995 (for the PSD) is twice as big and has better efficiency. Holds an extra quart of oil. I had one of these left, so thought I'd use it for a thousand miles, collect up some grunge and then change it for the bigger filter. The truck has a Racor ABS bypass on it too.

I think you did the right thing by using the cheaper filter on the break-in and then switching. I am sure that my FL-820s is a mere pittance compared to the cost of the ones for your diesel.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Well maybe you will come to your senses and get a Fram. Those metal filters just don't hold up.

Best to use smilies when talkin' trash or someone might take you seriously! ( : < )

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
As I was under the truck doing something completely unrelated, I literally WATCHED as this filter sprang a leak. First thought it was the seal but it turned out to be where the can was clamped to the base.

Did you oil the gasket? Wipe down the filter base?

I've noticed my filter had a slight leak once. Midway through an OCI I swapped filters and only hand tightened the new filter since so many people swear by hand tightening. When I noticed the leak I used my filter cap to give another quarter turn like I normally do. The leak stopped, no more oil streak down the side of the can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
As I was under the truck doing something completely unrelated, I literally WATCHED as this filter sprang a leak. First thought it was the seal but it turned out to be where the can was clamped to the base.

Did you oil the gasket? Wipe down the filter base?

I've noticed my filter had a slight leak once. Midway through an OCI I swapped filters and only hand tightened the new filter since so many people swear by hand tightening. When I noticed the leak I used my filter cap to give another quarter turn like I normally do. The leak stopped, no more oil streak down the side of the can.

I wiped, I oiled and I cranked. 999 times out of a 1000, yours would be spot on advice. This time, very close inspection showed it was leaking at the crimp, not above it. Very uncommon in my experience. Lucky me! The part that gobsmacked me was that it didn't leak for a week... narry a drip.... then it started suddenly. With me watching, no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back