CRV consuming oil like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I fail to see how a PCV valve would get gummed up or go "bad" all of a sudden on a vehicle that has had regular oil changes, enough to where it's suddenly consuming copious amounts of oil. the only thing she can do is take it to a trusted independent shop, one that specializes in Honda, to have it thoroughly diagnosed.

A pcv valve is either working or not, it snapps closed when vacuum in the manifold increases greatly at idle with the TB closed.

If the valve fails to close at idle it will begin to pull vapor from the crankcase with much more force than it eas ever intended to, bringing oil along with it.

Not saying this is absolutely whats wrong, but it could happen.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
fdcg27, please accept my appreciation for your effort in trying to help your neighbor.

If you need financial assistance in paying for part(s) to fix her car to stop/reduce the oil consumption please PM your Paypal account, I will contribute what I can to share the cost with you.

I'm not sure whether you intended this as sarcasm or we merely have a misunderstanding, since I don't live anywhere near this woman.
If she were my neighbor or I knew her, I would certainly help her. I would not turn my back on her.
At less than ten bucks for a new PCV valve and a little new tubing that I already have in my garage, it would hardly be a burden.
I'd also be happy to give her some of the FAR oil out of my stash to do top-ups.
The obvious thing to do would be to get the oil to the fill line on the dipstick and then see how many miles it takes to get down to the add line.
This would give her some idea of how often she needs to look and plan on adds.
The rest of what this engine might need is simple and inexpensive maintenance.
The cost of four plugs wouldn't kill anyone.
The engine will have either survived its low oil encounters or it won't have.
If it has and will run for some time, that will give the owner time to plan for a car purchase sometime down the road.
A little practical help for someone in a difficult position is often far more valuable and valued than any number of expressions of sympathy.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'm not sure whether you intended this as sarcasm or we merely have a misunderstanding, since I don't live anywhere near this woman.
If she were my neighbor or I knew her, I would certainly help her. I would not turn my back on her.

No, not at all.

Since I'm in California and she's in Ohio there is no way I can do much anything for her.

Since you're close to her so you can help her in your free time on weekend. PCV valve, oil filter(s), oil ... don't cost that much, but I would like to share the cost if you allow me.

I do appreciate any and all the helps I received over the years, but my most sincere appreciation is always toward the fallen soldiers and the widows of those fallen soldiers who fought for our country. I also appreciate to any who helps people in needed, and you showed just that.

Talking is easy and cheap, doing what you do is much different, I applause your intend.

Best Regards and have a wonderful holiday thanks to who in uniform.

PS I'm sorry, I confused and thought that you're the OP.

The Original Poster is montero1. I appreciate that you posted this. If anything you like us to do please post of PM me. I will try to contribute what I can.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: montero1
This is a single mother of two, who always had her cars maintained by her husband, who died three years ago, serving his country.

As an aside, the fact that her husband died serving his country has no play in this discussion.

Yes, it does. We are safely sitting in the comfort of our homes typing this thanks to her husband and all who serve our country.

If she was my neighbor I would do whatever I can to help her, even if I will be blamed for anything else happens to the car that wasn't my fault.

Please don't be selfish.

I thank the gentleman from Irvine for reintroducing some common sense respect into this thread.
I am appalled that some of the posters in this thread are so lacking in regard for others who have suffered a terrible loss and could probably use a little help, not blame and not indifference.
The alternative expressed by some here is to say too bad for her. She lost her husband in the service of our country, but that's her problem. Guess she should have taken better care of her car. Why should I spend my time and effort trying to help her? Not my problem.
I'm only paraphrasing a little bit and we do live in an age when selfishness and narcissism are widely portrayed as the smart and even ethical way in which to conduct one's life.
That'll be fine until all of those too self-absorbed to notice the plight of others learn through bitter experience that Karma is real and comes in two distinct forms.

You guys should re-read what I posted. At no time did say that I didn't support her or her late husband, nor did I say that I wouldn't have been willing to help her. I only said that it didn't have anything to do with her lack of maintenance (the topic at hand).

edit: Removed content- didn't see HTSS_TR's edit.

Last edited:
No, the OP was in Maryland.
If this woman lived in Ohio, I'd PM the OP and offer my assistance.
I may be an accountant and certainly not a pro wrench, but I've worked on every car we've ever had and have some knowledege of Hondas, since we've had eight of them going back to our first '76 Civic, a little go-kart that I loved driving.
I appreciate your generous offer and I'm glad that we merely had a geographical misunderstanding.
To those who say that the woman should have known better, my reply is that I've maintained every car we've ever had and my wife relies upon me to do things like check the tire pressures and the oil. I even ensure that whatever she's driving has enough fuel for whatever runs she's going to make. Why should any woman with a husband have to pump her own gas?
Were I gone, checking the oil in a car would be something she might not think of, since she hasn't had to do so in decades and most of the cars we've had over the years didn't use enough to require any adds between changes anyway.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
You guys should re-read what I posted. At no time did say that I didn't support her or her late husband, nor did I say that I wouldn't have been willing to help her. I only said that it didn't have anything to do with her lack of maintenance (the topic at hand).

When it comes to things like this some people go on an emotional ride and those that don't jump on are accused of not caring, unsympathetic, selfish and so on.
Everyone knows exactly what you meant.

Lots of speculation but no real data here. Unless the OP starts to monitor the oil consumption we just have a bunch of guessing.

Wouldn't this car still be under power train warranty? Bring it to a real shop or the dealer and have them take a look at it.

Last edited:
It's funny that all the people that think I need to "educate her" on maintenance, don't think I already razzed her to death about this. You have to understand, she has had three new cars in her life, always had a Honda, and they've never needed oil between changes. She just figured that by using synthetic oil from the dealer, nothing would ever go wrong, and until now (15 years later) she hasn't had a problem. Always was good about getting it changed at 5k.......

EVERYONE knows Hondas last forever right? Nothing could ever ever go wrong with a Honda........

The damage has been done, from this point on she knows what she needs to start doing. I just want to know what to expect if she takes it to a shop and what they'll start tearing into.

Thanks to everyone who had a helpful answer. She will get the pcv Valve taken care of, and I told her to check it at every full-up. We will go from there.

Originally Posted By: montero1
You have to understand, she has had three new cars in her life, always had a Honda, and they've never needed oil between changes. She just figured that by using synthetic oil from the dealer, nothing would ever go wrong, and until now (15 years later) she hasn't had a problem. Always was good about getting it changed at 5k.......

EVERYONE knows Hondas last forever right? Nothing could ever ever go wrong with a Honda........

If that's the case, all she needs to do is to trade it for one that doesn't drink oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back