Cruze Clutch Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
A buddy of mine has a Cruze Eco with a manual trans and he has not reported any clutch issues yet. He has 21k miles on it. I searched GM warranty data and clutch issues are not on the radar.

Thanks! That does ease my mind quite a bit.

And to the rest of you, I've been taking it pretty easy on this clutch. I have well over 5k miles on it now, and the clutch is behaving fine. Power-shifting it or clutch-dropping are not things that get done by me! I do load it up when in gear thanks to the hills around me. That's about the harshest treatment it gets.

I still think I'll change out the MT fluid in the spring as preventative maintenance on the transmission, then drive it for another 40k miles.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Doing clutch drops is the kind of thing that scares me from buying used, manual transmission vehicles. All kinds of latent issues that could arise from treating a vehicle like that.

You can brake torque an automatic for the same effect and the same loads will be going through the drivetrain. That's not abuse though. True powertrain abuse is a whole other level, and you can do it to an automatic just as easily as a manual. I'm more concerned about the vehicle whose driver needed more than his fingertips to shift gears.

It would be more of a factor for me with a 4WD/AWD vehicle. I've never personally done a clutch drop with AWD/4WD and the idea makes me cringe. You can really feel the forces involved when someone does that. But with 2WD, there's so little torque required to break the wheels loose, especially when it's usually only one wheel doing most of the spinning. I'm barely touching the throttle when I release the clutch, and I'm probably at 20 mph before it gets full throttle.

Spend almost a couple of decades using vehicles to their full potential within the design parameters with no issues and you get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back