Cruze Clutch Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
That is the new GM for you.Which is same old GM.

Go away.

My post is deleted but the quoted post is here.What is wrong with my post?

I simply said new GM is not different from old GM.

No need to be offended Nick_R.I hope yours will be trouble-free for years to come.

Your post was removed because it was straight bashing. Both you and Nick should think before posting.

I don't remember the old GM having issues like this so your statement is not factual. Posting that this issue is like the 199x whatever model from GM had would have have had more content.

Nick's comment should NOT have been posted. Instead members who have an "issue" with a bash post hit the notify and let us take care of it.

The bashing WILL stop. This board is having way too many of the bashing posts that have NOTHING to do with the subject in hand.

If members want to bash go somewhere else. If you have a problem with some brand keep it to your self.

No matter what brand this is NOT THE PLACE.

Bill

I had a new 2003 BMW E39 M5 that was fitted with a Luk dual mass flywheel and self adjusting clutch. I never did a single hard launch in the car, but I did a fair number of road track days with it. I owned the car for three years and in both the second and third years I got a new clutch under the manufacturer's warranty.

The clutch always worked properly, but the release mechanism would start to squeak. Once a dealer's master tech had heard the squeak they just booked you in for a new clutch, no questions asked. Both times, they told me the one they took out were barely worn, but the self adjusting mechanism had lost its grease and was getting ready to seize up. The squeak was the tell-tale that the grease was gone and the clutch was in trouble.

So this story about a Luk self-adjusting clutch and dual-mass flywheel that's barely worn and not engaging properly sounds rather familiar.

Last edited:
Bill, if you need to, go ahead and lock this thread up. I won't be offended.

It looks like some folks would rather bash than discuss an issue civilly. I enjoyed the points of view shared in the first page when folks were dissecting the issue, and helping me to better understand what was happening.

Thanks to everybody who's participated civilly so far. You've helped me reassure myself about any clutch problems on my own manual Cruze.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Thanks to everybody who's participated civilly so far. You've helped me reassure myself about any clutch problems on my own manual Cruze.
The owner that posted the pics has obviously abused the car. I can't explain the weird wear pattern but I'm confident that if you drive yours how it's supposed to be driven you won't have any problems for a long time.

Bill, if you need to, go ahead and lock this thread up. I won't be offended.

It looks like some folks would rather bash than discuss an issue civilly. I enjoyed the points of view shared in the first page when folks were dissecting the issue, and helping me to better understand what was happening.

I agree that the subject of this "failure" would have prob not happened if he treated his vehicle like an adult.

Is there a concern? Of course. ANYTHING built by ANYONE can and do have problems with some units. The more they build the more samples there are out there to possibility show up.

But most of the time we don't get the WHOLE story. We see x sludged up so its the oil. This filter has a hole so all of that brand is bad. The drama queens along with the fan boys are getting old here will be either learning how to post with respect or going someplace else.

Personally if your clutch is performing well don't worry about it. If enough of these show up in ADULT driven units GM will have to step up. (sadly for this vehicle a lot of them will be abused which will lower the perception of the dependability of the Cruise. Esp with a "turbo" which makes some get all warm inside
33.gif
)

I've got quite a few members who are leaving or not posting much because of this bashing mindset showing up here. (either on purpose or just "dedicated" consumers)

It will be straightened up. We need everyone to get back to the reason for the board which is posting factual info on peoples experiences (both bad and good) and stop with the koolaid / bashing.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I've got quite a few members who are leaving or not posting much because of this bashing mindset showing up here. (either on purpose or just "dedicated" consumers)

It will be straightened up. We need everyone to get back to the reason for the board which is posting factual info on peoples experiences (both bad and good) and stop with the koolaid / bashing.

I also help moderate a Web board, and I understand your approach totally. My primary aims are to keep posters and threads ON-topic, and to keep flames and politics OUT. I just recently clamped down hard on a thread that suddenly went political (and not in a good way). The offender apologized (offline), and nobody got banned. After a brief pause, the board carried on as usual.

The last thing any of us want is Usenet-type anarchy, with flame wars drowning out anything constructive.

I have worked on cars for along time and most clutch failures are driver issues, I can think of maybe two or three failures or defects from a clutch package. Really most of the parts come from just a few vendors now so I doubt most OE's have not made clutchs in many many years.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

The owner that posted the pics has obviously abused the car. I can't explain the weird wear pattern but I'm confident that if you drive yours how it's supposed to be driven you won't have any problems for a long time.

Maybe the pattern is not right, because it has not yet been broken in. Just guessing, but most vehicles require at least an oil change before things get seated.

I've noticed my clutch/transmission does get better after a few miles of driving. I suspect that the gear oil that GM put in from the factory isn't the greatest. Come spring, it'll be swapped for some Redline MTL 70w-80 GL-4 gear oil. I've heard only good things about the Redline MTL and shift quality.

A buddy of mine has a Cruze Eco with a manual trans and he has not reported any clutch issues yet. He has 21k miles on it. I searched GM warranty data and clutch issues are not on the radar.

Don't let this bug you sciphi.
The uneven wear on that clutch is odd but I think its gotta be isolated and also partially due to the driving style of this Cruze owner.

Keep on truckin'!

If there's no excessive clutch wear and no signs of overheating, should the driver still be blamed for a clutch problem? What could he possibly be doing to damage the clutch without physical evidence on the mating surfaces?

I'm sure I've done well over a hundred 3000 rpm clutch drops on my Mazda3 economy car without any issues. I figured early on that I'll accept some tire wear instead of slipping the clutch when I want to launch hard.

I've noticed my clutch/transmission does get better after a few miles of driving. I suspect that the gear oil that GM put in from the factory isn't the greatest..

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
If there's no excessive clutch wear and no signs of overheating, should the driver still be blamed for a clutch problem? What could he possibly be doing to damage the clutch without physical evidence on the mating surfaces?

I'm sure I've done well over a hundred 3000 rpm clutch drops on my Mazda3 economy car without any issues. I figured early on that I'll accept some tire wear instead of slipping the clutch when I want to launch hard.

X's 2

It's too easy to ignore the facts and blame the guy doing something other than driving like a grandma... Doing some clutch drops won't hurt a thing as long as you aren't slipping the snot out of it... Done it to several manual vehicles I've owned and they all came back for more for as long as I owned them.

Doing clutch drops is the kind of thing that scares me from buying used, manual transmission vehicles. All kinds of latent issues that could arise from treating a vehicle like that.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
This is an idiotic driver, nothing else to report here.

Agree. Looks like buddy pal'erson over there started launching hard before the plate even got to break in. If you do a brand new brake job; new rotors, pads, and start doing 155mph hard stops frmo right out of the shop, chances are there will be burnt out hotspots on the pads and streaked, glazed rotors. Poor punk now has to shell out for new parts lol

Originally Posted By: OceanDoctor
Originally Posted By: R2d2
This is an idiotic driver, nothing else to report here.

Agree. Looks like buddy pal'erson over there started launching hard before the plate even got to break in. If you do a brand new brake job; new rotors, pads, and start doing 155mph hard stops frmo right out of the shop, chances are there will be burnt out hotspots on the pads and streaked, glazed rotors. Poor punk now has to shell out for new parts lol

Not only that, but, most likely, the blame will be put squarely on GM for poor quality parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back