Cross Reference for Motorcraft FL842

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following some of the Ford Focus forums across the internet, a number of owners use an FL842 on their Focus.

I am interested in this application, but cannot find a proper cross reference for using this filter. Is it the same filter as the Fram PH16?

If so, one advantage of using a PH16 spec is it is larger than the OEM 910 (and shorter than the FL-400, giving better clearance). However, I know the by-pass valve setting is different, which would not be good in the event of an oil-bypass scenario.

Any insight is appreciated!

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Wix 51085 is a direct cross reference as is the Purolator L14670, Fram does not have a direct cross reference.

The Fram PH16 crosses directly to both of those, but they don't list the FL-842 for it.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Following some of the Ford Focus forums across the internet, a number of owners use an FL842 on their Focus.

I am interested in this application, but cannot find a proper cross reference for using this filter. Is it the same filter as the Fram PH16?

If so, one advantage of using a PH16 spec is it is larger than the OEM 910 (and shorter than the FL-400, giving better clearance). However, I know the by-pass valve setting is different, which would not be good in the event of an oil-bypass scenario.

Any insight is appreciated!

The Motorcraft oil filter for your 2007 Focus with the 2.0L engine is an FL-910S.

I would not put any other filter on that engine. Ford designed that engine to take that filter. Putting a different filter can only be asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back