Motorcraft FL-910S cut open

Motorcraft FL-910S from a neighbor's Craftsman tractor with a Briggs and Stratton 26hp V-Twin. It was in use for about 70 hours with Rotella T4 15w40. A Fram PH3614 went back on with Mobil Delvac 15w40. Filter looked good, all of the louvers in the center looked open, was too difficult to get a good focused pic of the center core louvers with my phone though.

IMG_0338.jpg
IMG_0339.jpg
IMG_0340.jpg
IMG_0341.jpg

The new ones have paper thin cans and a bunch of glue from my own experience. Also the price has more than doubled. So for me I used to like them but now it's a thumbs down 👎

Yep, when a Prime Guard stays same price and gets job done hard to argue. I don’t use MC filters anymore.

OP: Thank You for great photos and cut and post.

Looks great. I used to to run a lot of Motorcrafts as well, but usually the FL-400s. The 910s just a bit smaller than I would prefer, particularly with the thread end bypass. Obviously they work fine, just personal preference.

As mentioned price and quality both went the wrong direction.

On our Focus the filter was low enough the 400 was a no-no.

Thanks for the C/P.

That's nuts. But OPE filter prices in general are high, especially considering many/most are nothing special.
The air filters are pretty high too. I've seen foam/paper Briggs and Kohler filter cartridges that are higher in price than the Donaldson style cartridges for my Kubota diesel tractor, and the OPE filters are pretty cheaply made in comparison. Many of them seal very poorly as well. The engine this FL910S came from had an OEM Briggs air filter, and the intake pipe going to the carburetor and the carburetor itself were loaded with dirt. I replaced the filter with one that seemed to seal a bit better.

As mentioned price and quality both went the wrong direction.
This is one of the main reasons I stopped using the Motorcraft on the Coyote. The glue might be fine if it couldn't come loose, but it does come loose pretty easily. Been other YT videos showing this same issue on used cut open examples. The media area on the FL500S has almost shrink to half the area they use to be a few years ago - I've measured the media area on all the ones I've cut open. Plus, the louvers are a hit or miss on the ones I've looked at the store these days. Just not worth messing with anymore for me, and I wouldn't want some rouge glue to go into the engine and possibly cause a problem.

Back