Criteria for a new(er) vehicle

Unibody or frame rot rendering the car unsafe.

Car no longer meets the needs* of the family.

*e.g. car seats do not fit in a 1985 Trans-Am. Struggled for three months after our first child was born. Replaced it with a Volvo Turbo wagon. Better performance. Room for car seats.

Used to be, when I wanted one. Now, its a convoluted mess of FUD versus opening my wallet. Last car, totaled out, did not see how I could repair, and could not see good justification to pay to have repaired. Second to last was FUD, combined with the wife’s desire to have a new car every ten years.

My typical trend has been every 6-8 years or so, which usually aligns with a time when things start needing replacement and I'd rather take said cost and apply that towards something newer. I've never *needed* to buy a newer vehicle except once when I had one totaled.

When it rots out and becomes impossible to obtain parts for. Until them my 2003 Chevy and 2002 Toyota will remain on the road for potentially decades more.
This + the dealer has 100 units on hand and it's the last year of the model run.

Sounds like you will be buying a new car soon based on your username.... :) im just kidding.. kinda.
Indeed !! I worry all the time tbh. Thankfully I've only had 1 failure (ie. charge pipe).

I just scheduled a possible four figure repair event and I hope to at least get a Liqui Moly oil change sticker out of it. :LOL:

We are looking at a new Jeep. My wifes 2014 has 82,000 miles on it and she just feels like it's time to get a brand new one. I just kind of get in a mood to sell sometimes for no reason at all. Cars last so long it's difficult to wear them out driving less than 10,000 miles per year. We have 4 vehicles and my wife works out of the home and it's more of a want rather than a necessity. l am retired and don't really need to go many places but I am on the road all the time doing errands and fishing or hunting.

The last vehicle I got rid of was 25 years old, had ~265K miles on it (something like that) and had the following issues (and I'm probably forgetting a few things):

Major transmission issues making the car barely drivable. Car had original transmission and probably needed new friction plates. Estimates ranged from around $3500 to $7500 for a new or used transmission). This was ultimately the thing that made me get rid of it.

HVAC box needed repairs that would require removal, which would be onerous or very expensive. I could move the flaps my rotating cams on the sides of the HVAC box, but that was super inconvenient and could not be done while driving.

Rust holes.

Water leaking into the trunk area. Made several attempts to repair, but never could figure out how this was happening.

Body damage in multiple places, as well as other appearance related issues.

Tires were worn out.

One axle clicked on sharp turns if it were cold enough.

Rear spoiler rattled.

Leaked coolant and oil.

With paid for vehicle that is old when AC or major repair exceeds value of vehicle. Or my 2007 MDX severe rot due to poor body work early in life.

That's always a tough call. Only you can ultimately decide.

I have realistically added up the total cost of known, needed repairs. Divide that sum by 12. Is it worth that monthly amount to drive it another year? Maybe, maybe not. And additional repairs could crop up over the next year.

Your call.

I usually buy a 1-2 year old CPO and keep it for 7-8 years. Exceptions are the Club Sport (owned since new) and the Wrangler (owned since 2002).
After 7 or so years I'm almost always wanting something different that is newer and faster. The search usually takes a year or more of cross-shopping several entertaining possibilities.

Back