Cracked Titan manifolds for your viewing pleasure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
If they all crack eventually, why buy used ones? Are you planning on selling it soon?

x2.

Jeep 4.0 manifolds (before 2000 with the pre-cats) are known to crack. It is a VERY common problem. This engine is fairly easy to replace the manifold on and people still buy new improved manifolds with a flex pipe in them or a header. Its not worth putting on a part that will just crack again.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
This is also a problem with Toyota Tundra's. Unfortunately, they seem to crack after warranty. Shorty headers with good quality gaskets are the way to go for replacement, and cost much less than OEM.

I replaced the manifolds on my Tundra with cheap ebay headers. Only thing is use the OEM multi layerd steel gaskets.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Found a set of used one's from the Titan forum for only $300 for the pair.

Did it really make sense to put a used set on, given that it's a known issue that almost all those manifolds have? Aren't you just setting yourself up to do it again in a couple years?

To answer questions...
1. sorry I didn't say they're exhaust manifolds
2. Yes known issue, but the ones I replaced them with were from a newer Titan and they're beefed up in a few places and hopefully won't crack soon.
3. Nope, not selling it.
4. Yes, towed a 8K pound travel trailer quite a bit.
5. Reason why I went with stock instead of headers is because the general consensus on the Titan forum is that when you replace them with headers, a little computer tweaking will be needed. I didn't want to do that, so I went with stock.
6. I paid a shop to replace them and I think the old headers are already gone. If they crack again, I'm replacing them with aftermarket headers.

Thanks for all the input!

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Nissan probably went cheap because they sell hardly any of these trucks.Hard to spread costs out when you dont move any product.Now if they were selling 200K of these.....maybe just maybe they would beef them up.

Nissan Def doesn't sell many Titans but. They may have went cheap on the manifolds but the rest of the engine is over engineered. The Titan has a outstanding engine ,and a great trans to back it up. The rear end is questionable as well as these manifolds.

Originally Posted By: Anthony
The rear end is questionable as well as these manifolds.

swap in a 6 lug 14 bolt from a 6 lug 2500 Chevy.

Last edited:
'97 p-finder, same problem. there was an unannounced extended warranty on that part, free replacement for up to 100k miles. common failure.

Hated to read above that tundra's are prone to it as well.
frown.gif
but I won't fuss if it's an excuse to add tubular headers.
smile.gif

yeah, the OE manifolds on both sides cracked in my '00 tundra before 30K miles - I replaced them with JBA headers which were still good at 220k

My second tundra cracked on one side at a similar mileage, that one got a set of JBAs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back