Costo lost money without membership fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Their gasoline is not top tier so that doesn't work for us either.

Not sure where you came up with that, but it is false.

http://www.costco.com/gasoline.html

Around here Costco and Sam's Club are almost always the cheapest. Right now Costco is about .30 cheaper than the Arco right down the street.

I tried to avoid Arco whenever possible. As mentioned they don't accept credit cards and they charge an extra fee (I think it's .35 cents) for using an ATM card.

Plus I've had problems in the past both with their gasoline, and a couple of stations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The savings in gasoline costs pay for the membership. The membership is $55 per year, but I save $70 per year in gasoline costs.

Costco gas isn't cheaper than gas I can find near my home. Besides the membership fee, Costco hours are terrible.
Everyone talks about the lines too. No way I'm waiting for gas to save $1 on a fillup. If you can save that. We don't have a Costco so it doesn't matter. Sams is no cheaper than local stations around here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
The savings in gasoline costs pay for the membership. The membership is $55 per year, but I save $70 per year in gasoline costs.

Costco gas isn't cheaper than gas I can find near my home. Besides the membership fee, Costco hours are terrible.

Everyone talks about the lines too. No way I'm waiting for gas to save $1 on a fillup. If you can save that. We don't have a Costco so it doesn't matter. Sams is no cheaper than local stations around here.

Certain time of the day the lines are very long at my local Costco, up to 5-10 vehicles each line. But early morning(before 8-9AM) or late evening(after 6-7PM) the lines are much shorter and sometime you can get to 1 of the many pumps without waiting.

Who would wait 5 cars to get to a gas pump. The local store had $.97/gal gas for costumer appreciation day and the lines weren't that bad; and I didn't go.

Yeah everyone talks about the long lines, but I've never waited more than a few minutes. Since I drive past Costco 6 days a week and it's less than 2 miles from my house it's a win/win for me.

As I said in another post I have seen Costco to be as much as 60 or 70 cents a gallon cheaper than stations across the street. .60 X 15 gallons is 9.00 I'll wait 5 minutes to save that much twice a week on one car, not to mention the 3 other vehicles in my signature. As someone mentioned previously the savings in gasoline MORE than pays for the membership fee.

I understand Costco type stores don't work for everyone, due to a variety of circumstances but for my family it's a very good thing.

Edit: Also maybe because of my age, but I RARELY (like as in almost never) buy impulse items or things I don't need. I usually go there for things like eggs, bread, meat, produce and paper goods. Occasionally some stores might have better sales on one item, but it's not worth my time to drive around to save a few cents.

Last edited:
Hatt,

I've used about 60 gas cards from Publix with their $10 off any $50 gas card over the past 2 years. That's $600 in gas savings without any membership fees.

Our Costco can be very busy during the peak hours with the parking lot full. It covers a pretty populated part of Portland and the surrounding areas. When the gas lines are the longest they can be 6 cars waiting for each line but that is with 3 pumps per line. So reality you are only waiting a few minutes during the worst peak times. They must have 16 pumps at our Costco.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Hatt,

I've used about 60 gas cards from Publix with their $10 off any $50 gas card over the past 2 years. That's $600 in gas savings without any membership fees.
I use to grab those cards when you only had to buy $25 in groceries. I don't usually spend $50 in Publix and I've been mainly getting gas at Citgo so I haven't been getting too many lately. If they offered Citgo cards I'd probably get back to them.

I've checked the gas prices for the two closest Costco stores on gas buddy. One Costco was one cent higher than cheapest station in zip code. The other was the cheapest but three other stations had the same price. You're not saving enough money on gas around here to worry about long lines. I'd be curious to know a couple of yous guys zips. $.30-.70 difference seems a little far fetched.

Costco is not cheap on everything, but deals can be found.

$20 dollar name brand tennis shoes, mens underwear, gasoline.

Most of the food items are no bargain. The thing about costco is the quality of the items is very good, and their return policy is good.

Electronics are very much overpriced. Gas is cheapest anywhere and is top tier.

Their meat is the best I have seen in the area. Much higher quality than the grocery store.

I didn't find any value in their travel agent services, or insurance. Tires and batteries are downright expensive, but you get a good warranty with them.

I'd be curious to know a couple of yous guys zips. $.30-.70 difference seems a little far fetched.

I'm not posting my zip on a public forum. If you don't believe me, that's your problem. I'm stating the facts - I buy a lot of gas. I fill up at least twice a week sometimes 3 times. Every area is different.

Also it's not always that much difference in price, but especially here in Ca sometimes there seems to be no rhyme or reason. Right now Costco is 2.59, the closet Arco is 2.65 and other Arco stations not far away are as high as 2.99. A Chevron station within easy walking distance of Costco is currently 2.85, just dropped from 2.89 earlier this week. I drive past these stations six and sometimes seven days a week.

I've seen Costco stations < half an hour from me be .20 higher or lower. If it's not the same in your area I believe you. I have no dog in this fight. If you don't like Costco (for whatever reason) FINE! It makes those "long lines" people here are claiming shorter for those of us who do!

Last edited:
Here's today's example. I live near 66012.

QuikTrip 66012 2.03
Costco Lenexa 66215 1.81

Very few issues with lines at the gas pump. I have been in places like Honolulu, Atlanta and Dana Point, CA where the lines were ridiculous.

I happen to also live south of the cheapest gas in KC: 66048, so I will be filling up there tomorrow when I run errands north of me.

These differences are several months old. In the past differences have been less, and I adjust my fill up habits accordingly.

Here are some items that are cheaper at either Sam's or Costco in my area:

--$1 per gal savings on milk consistently
--Fresh berries are at supermarket sale prices every day at Costco or Sam's. That can mean $1 per package of berries difference.
--Most of the produce prices beat the largest supermarket chain (Price Chopper) on a daily basis. Quality tends to be better, also.
--Meats are not necessarily cheaper, but only USDA Choice is offered. Same for Sam's Club.
--We purchase a lot of metal shelving and we saved $10 per unit last week alone when we had to purchase some. It is superior to a unit we purchased on Amazon which claimed equivalence. It wasn't.
--OTC vitamins and allergy medicines also add to the overall savings.

No supermarket around here offers discounted gas cards like Publix does on the east coast. Best discounts are with the Kroger affiliate (Dillons Food Store) and is tied to supermarket purchases on a monthly basis.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
I'd be curious to know a couple of yous guys zips. $.30-.70 difference seems a little far fetched.

I'm not posting my zip on a public forum. If you don't believe me, that's your problem. I'm stating the facts - I buy a lot of gas. I fill up at least twice a week sometimes 3 times. Every area is different.

Also it's not always that much difference in price, but especially here in Ca sometimes there seems to be no rhyme or reason. Right now Costco is 2.59, the closet Arco is 2.65 and other Arco stations not far away are as high as 2.99. A Chevron station within easy walking distance of Costco is currently 2.85, just dropped from 2.89 earlier this week. I drive past these stations six and sometimes seven days a week.

I've seen Costco stations < half an hour from me be .20 higher or lower. If it's not the same in your area I believe you. I have no dog in this fight. If you don't like Costco (for whatever reason) FINE! It makes those "long lines" people here are claiming shorter for those of us who do!

Dude, you're the one that responded to me. And then go on to prove my point about not saving very much. Of course if you get gas at the most expensive stations Costco will be a lot cheaper. Checking out gas buddy again. By Orlando International Airport(32827): $5.95. Sun Gas has a big sale going on. $4.59!!!! Of course there are 20 stations between $1.88 and $1.93. Didn't see a Costco. But if there were we could confirm they're $4 cheaper than other stations.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Here's today's example. I live near 66012.

QuikTrip 66012 2.03
Costco Lenexa 66215 1.81

Very few issues with lines at the gas pump. I have been in places like Honolulu, Atlanta and Dana Point, CA where the lines were ridiculous.

I happen to also live south of the cheapest gas in KC: 66048, so I will be filling up there tomorrow when I run errands north of me.

These differences are several months old. In the past differences have been less, and I adjust my fill up habits accordingly.

Here are some items that are cheaper at either Sam's or Costco in my area:

--$1 per gal savings on milk consistently
--Fresh berries are at supermarket sale prices every day at Costco or Sam's. That can mean $1 per package of berries difference.
--Most of the produce prices beat the largest supermarket chain (Price Chopper) on a daily basis. Quality tends to be better, also.
--Meats are not necessarily cheaper, but only USDA Choice is offered. Same for Sam's Club.
--We purchase a lot of metal shelving and we saved $10 per unit last week alone when we had to purchase some. It is superior to a unit we purchased on Amazon which claimed equivalence. It wasn't.
--OTC vitamins and allergy medicines also add to the overall savings.

No supermarket around here offers discounted gas cards like Publix does on the east coast. Best discounts are with the Kroger affiliate (Dillons Food Store) and is tied to supermarket purchases on a monthly basis.
That zip has a pretty big price gap. I wish my Sams followed that lead.

Gas has always been higher in my part of the metro. The cheaper gas in Leavenworth is the fact that Walmart opened a gas station in their shopping plaza that is a short distance down the road from Dillons fuel. That has caused a sporadic mini-gas war.

Most of the time gas is cheaper going into Missouri, and for two month or so, that has not been the case. QuikTrip is also the largest fuel retailer in KC, but they know where they can keep prices higher and not lose business. I live on one of those zip codes.

Don't understand the cheaper gas around Lenexa because it used to be more expensive down there, but cheaper than near me. There is increased competition since Sam's Club and Costco are directly across I-35 from each other. Inside the stores, their prices on many, many items mirror each other, or each tries to be a nickel lower on them. Good for competition and the consumer.

Try city of Irvine in Orange County, California
http://www.orangecountygasprices.com

Lowest: Costco on 115 Technology Dr $2.66
Highest: 76 on 14886 Sand Canyon Ave $3.09
Difference $0.43

Edit: I said in the very first post: "usually Costco sells gas at 10-30 cents cheaper than other Top-Tier stations within 2-3 miles radius."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Try city of Irvine in Orange County, California
http://www.orangecountygasprices.com

Lowest: Costco on 115 Technology Dr $2.66
Highest: 76 on 14886 Sand Canyon Ave $3.09
Difference $0.43

Edit: I said in the very first post: "usually Costco sells gas at 10-30 cents cheaper than other Top-Tier stations within 2-3 miles radius."
Looking at gas buddy the Shell right next door is 1 cent more. Cash price so credit will drive that up a little. 6-7 stations in the general area are within 7 cents. You can't compare the most expensive station.

I've never said don't go to Costco. All I've said is it isn't cheap enough to wait in line for. This informal research has supported that opinion. The one place had a $.22 difference. I may wait a couple minutes for that. Not a half dozen cars.

We buy their premium dog food which is at least $10/bag cheaper than the same product made by the manufacturer under their name brand. Great value.

I got their GM deal when buying my new Sierra. The executive level rebate was enough to pay for our membership for years to come.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Their gasoline is not top tier so that doesn't work for us either.

Not sure where you came up with that, but it is false.

http://www.costco.com/gasoline.html

Around here Costco and Sam's Club are almost always the cheapest. Right now Costco is about .30 cheaper than the Arco right down the street.

I tried to avoid Arco whenever possible. As mentioned they don't accept credit cards and they charge an extra fee (I think it's .35 cents) for using an ATM card.

Plus I've had problems in the past both with their gasoline, and a couple of stations.

Costco is actually better than top tier requirements. Top tier requires 3 time the EPA required additives. Costco does 5 times and adds it locally so they can control the quality ( or maybe no one else adds that much to the tanker).

Locally, I find that Costco's prices are unbeatable. However, West Palm Beach is an expensive area, so there is that. In other areas of the country, Costco may or may not be cheaper.

Even so, Costco generally has a wide variety of sufficiently high quality products, all under one roof. Got Adidas running sneakers for $29, otherwise $59 on Amazon.

I think Costco's automotive (motorcycle too) program is worthwhile. I used it to purchase a diesel Jetta at thousands under sticker, back when they still commanded a premium.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back