Costo lost money without membership fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The bottom line is Costco made about 2% net profit, this means they don't overcharge most items they sell.
I am not convinced that responders to this topic understood this part.

We finally have one here, in fact it's been open about 3 years and is responsible for properly paving the streets in the area where it's located. Every morning I drive right by their gas station about the time it opens. I need to check the place out.

Just answer it was a gift...

Not a lie as you gave it to your wife.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I purchased a Rolex watch for my wife from Costco about 10 years ago. I needed a link and called a local jeweler that carried the Rolex brand asking about adding the link. He asked me where I purchased it and after hearing it was Costco he said something I could not understand and hung up on me.

I really don't care for Costco's prices. I can't really see the savings. My grandfather shops there and comes home with $300 worth of.... Not much.

Plus their gas prices aren't even as good as Arco. I'm also not sitting there in line for forever.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I really don't care for Costco's prices. I can't really see the savings. My grandfather shops there and comes home with $300 worth of.... Not much.

Plus their gas prices aren't even as good as Arco. I'm also not sitting there in line for forever.
You most likely aren't going to save money in warehouse clubs. It's too easy to spend money on stuff you don't need.

The last time I pump gas at Arco was more than 10-15 years ago, their price was good but they don't accept credit card, so it was very inconvenience to fill up the tank, you have to see cashier twice one to pay cash and return to get chances.

Like anything else, you need to know the value of most items you buy. Costco has many good value items and they also have some items that are slightly over priced. Also, looking to stock up non perishable that you need when they have instant coupon for those items.

Originally Posted By: hatt

You most likely aren't going to save money in warehouse clubs. It's too easy to spend money on stuff you don't need.

I have a small family and buying a gallon jug of ketchup, a case of eggs or other large volume items doesn't make sense for us. Their gasoline is not top tier so that doesn't work for us either.

But I recon these kind of high volume items might make sense for larger families.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

I have a small family and buying a gallon jug of ketchup, a case of eggs or other large volume items doesn't make sense for us. Their gasoline is not top tier so that doesn't work for us either.

But I recon these kind of high volume items might make sense for larger families.
If you only buy stuff you actually use and need, and is also a good deal, you can do alright. Only savvy shoppers can do it, and they can save money anywhere so the warehouse club advantage is minimized in those cases. I could get out of Sam's with minimal items but would still find myself bringing home jugs of premium mixed nuts and stuff I would never buy if they didn't appear to be a good deal. I haven't been in Sams in months because of their poor customer service and have saved a good bit of money. The stuff you really need can be found elsewhere for similar costs.

When discussing Sams or Costco, I always think of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer feeds the horse a gallon of pork and beans he got at the big warehouse store.

I really like our local Costco. There are occasionally some killer deals to be had, and a lot of very good items at competitive prices. Especially home stuff, which for the quality of home things Costco sells can sell for much more at other places. Ours is less than a year old, so it's not crazy yet.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: hatt

Assuming you are talking about Costco their gas is Top Tier.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
I walked in with the boots, no receipt, and got my money back no questions asked. Try that somewhere else.

LL Bean will take stuff back nearly forever I believe.

We go back there fairly often, in person. They're pretty rude about people who USE their stuff. We try and go in non tourist/ xmas seasons; it's a little better.

As for warehouse clubs, I scored yet another free membership to BJs. I got a years worth of maple syrup for $11/qt. 40 miles south it's $14 a quart; different price zone, same syrup. BJs is overpriced on 80% of their stuff and they seem to charge 3x as much for 2x the package size compared to other sources. IOW they are yet another store one has to tread lightly in and be astute about loss leaders.

If BJs got my membership money (ha!) it would be pure profit as they already turn one off sales, more'n likely.

I shop at Costco every week. I rarely enter any other store. Off the top of my head...

1. They do not sell gasoline at cost. However, it is usually a few cents below other gas stations in the area plus you get another 3% off (that's $0.09 on $3 gas) using the Costco AmEx. The upcomimg Visa card gets you 4%. Gas is Tier One i.e., higher additive levels. I've used a lot of their 93 premium. It's good stuff.
2. As others have said, I more than recoup the cost of my Exec membership in rebates. So, the cost of that is a non-issue.
3. I do buy my oil at Costco. Mobil1 is on sale every other month for about 4.50/qt (in six quart cases) which is lower than Walmart in jugs.
4. Best place in town for warm beer and wine. Costco is the largest wine retailer in the world.
5. Produce is typically very good. Sometimes quantities are too much for a couple.
6. Meat department is outstanding. Not cheap, but competitive. Small selection of prime meat is available but their choice steaks are so good, why bother? I like to buy whole NY strips and cut myself. Pork tenderloin, bacon and ribs are great. As is the chicken. Good farm raised salmon. [censored], it's all good.
7. Drinks. Every week I buy Diet Coke, bottled water and Mich Ultra. Life's staples.
8. Paper products, cleaning supplies really good when on sale.
9. Frozen and dry goods are great prices if you can deal with the bulk. $12 for a large frozen lasagne! You can't make it yourself for that. Items like mayo you can save $4-5 on a single large container. Spices, BBque sauce, hot sauce, canned tuna, soups, anything in a can.
10. OTC drugs, vitamins etc very competitive.

Other once in a while stuff like computer paper, printer ink, yard fertilizer, batteries, wiper blades, TurboTax, softener salt. I mean the list goes on and on. Why go anywhere else?

Last edited:
No Costco gas in this area...with only 2 people, I see no reason to shop at any wholesale club. I have been in Costco several times...wasn't especially impressed.

I see the same faces working at Costco for at least last ten years that I have been a member. If Costco were to claim that their employee turnover is lowest in the industry, I will believe it.

I have also noticed this at Market Basket.

But it could be that I just visit those places too often :)

See if you can share a family membership with someone in a wholesale club. If you shop carefully they can save you money. For example, Sam's Club has the best selection of quality deep-cycle batteries around, and they carry mobility batteries, deep-cycle AGMs, etc. Our BJs has great meat in larger quantities. If you are having a big backyard BBQ you can do well there. Oil is often on sale at BJs. Tires can be a good price for better quality than at Walmart. Printer cartridges can be a deal. Vitamins are good and cheap. We like their big cans of Hazelnut coffee--cheaper than our local supermarket for large quantities. Etc. Don't buy everything in the warehouse store--shop it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304

I've heard that Best Buy and hhgregg make most of their profits from the warranties they sell. If so, it didn't work well for Circuitcity.

Shopped for a 75" LED TV last year. Costco had a Samsung for $2799, about the same as Best Buy or Futureshop. 5 year Warranty was $400, Costco was $99.
No brainer to go with Costco, and Future Shop went out of business a few months later.
The warranty savings paid for my membership several times over.
They now sell kitchens - will have to look at that one a little closer.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The savings in gasoline costs pay for the membership. The membership is $55 per year, but I save $70 per year in gasoline costs.

Costco gas isn't cheaper than gas I can find near my home. Besides the membership fee, Costco hours are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back