Corvette Owners; What replacement tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2006 Vette equipped with the GoodYear Runflats Has gone thru about half it's tread life in 18,000 miles. No particular complaints sbout them. I'm curious as to what tires others have replaced their originals with. If you didn't go with runflats, what's your gameplan in the event of a flat? I've put mine to the test twice, and they really do work ! But they are really pricey for a set of four.Suggestions?

While waiting for responses here, you also may want to search posts over at corvetteforum.com as I'm sure lots of owners ask the very same question.

Size? Obviously your car is equipped with a TPMS so no problems there. I've heard of a good many folks just keep a can of fix a flat and a tire repair kit in their cars.

I'm big on Goodyear and their F1 line. Either the F1 GSD3 or the F1 All Season.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wantin150

I'm big on Goodyear and their F1 line. Either the F1 GSD3 or the F1 All Season.

Funny you should mention these two tires, as those are the tires I'm considering for my next set of tires for my 98 Corvette!

I ditched my runflats a few years ago, and simply keep an air compressor in the car in case I get a nail in the tire (which has happened a couple of times) I figure if I get a complete blow out, or have a tire that will not hold air at all, I'll simply get the car towed. In my 22 years of driving I've only had one instance where a tire went completely flat and would not hold any air at all (very large hole in the tire) So I'm not too worried about not having run flat tires anymore. 99% of my driving is done in the Toronto area, so a tow truck would always be within a few minutes of wherever I am.

I loved the F1 GSD3's on my Toyota. Much more tire than the suspension could really handle so I never had any issues. Went 45k on them. The F1 A/S I have now are good. Nothing compared to the other though. The A/S has a "little" more noise and a "little" less grip. Two different animals though.

I went to the tire shop this morning to get a price on the F1 all seasons and ended up buying a pair for the front of my Vette! I've only driven about 50 miles on them so far, but so far I'm very impressed. It was raining heavily this morning and they handled that mess with great ease. On the ride home from work the roads were dry and they are very quiet so far. I haven't pushed them in the corners yet, and probably shouldn't until they are broken in anyhow, since the first portion of a new tire is usually greasy until it has a few hundred miles on it.

Had mine (I've got about 6k on them now) to 60 through a "C" shape off ramp and not the first squeal. Like I said, the tires are really more than the suspension so unless I do something really stupid, I expect them to hold. You may get some squeal with the vette over time!

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Of all-seasons tires, I think Vette owners would be most happy with Yoko V4S.

Those don't come in the sizes for the new C6 Corvette though, the only Yokohamas that come in C6 sizes are the Advans (summer only tires)

Originally Posted By: Patman
I went to the tire shop this morning to get a price on the F1 all seasons and ended up buying a pair for the front of my Vette! I've only driven about 50 miles on them so far, but so far I'm very impressed. It was raining heavily this morning and they handled that mess with great ease. On the ride home from work the roads were dry and they are very quiet so far. I haven't pushed them in the corners yet, and probably shouldn't until they are broken in anyhow, since the first portion of a new tire is usually greasy until it has a few hundred miles on it.

With only 50 miles, you haven't either gotten to the sweet spot yet. I noticed they were a little squirmy the first few miles and than after about 500 miles they rode better and were tighter. Maybe they were coated with something that wore off, who knows?

I've got a set on my '94 (which was the first year run flats were made available as an option) and love them. Much better feel than the original equip GSC's.

I started pushing my car a little harder into the corners today and even with only 100 miles on them they are feeling pretty stable to me! I honestly don't think I'll push this car hard enough to find the limits of these tires, they stick better than I need them to stick! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back