Corolla and CVT?

Alright, I'm going to see if I can find one to test drive. LE, so 16" wheels with 55 series tires, not the 40 series on the more "sporty" models. Not hatch, like the idea of hatch but everything I've read indicates that this one has too many compromises--I don't care about rear legroom, but ride comfort is big. The hatch could be nice, a big "boot" if you will. Only option I'm interested in is this "smart key" system--I have to admit, it'd be real easy to get used to not putting a key into the door, nor into the ignition. Especially when that's what I do with the wife's car (on the rare occasion I drive it--I refuse to, as I know I'll get spoiled). Ok, a power and heated seat would be nice, but apparently that's just too much to ask for at this level.

Wife is very against buying anything used that is ultimately within a few thousand of what a base Corolla could be had for. I can't say she's wrong.

Not hatch, like the idea of hatch but everything I've read indicates that this one has too many compromises
What compromises? That it could carry home a dozen bags of mulch from the Home Depot?

158.JPG

What compromises? That it could carry home a dozen bags of mulch from the Home Depot?

View attachment 173621
Rear legroom was compromised due to the shorter length (not really important to me but it's there). Shorter wheelbase => choppier ride. Not sure on tires but I think they only come (now anyhow) with the lower profile tires, which means rougher ride. Stiffer suspension. Saw somewhere that said they sit lower to the ground, not sure on that one. Price is an oddity: SE to SE, hatch is cheaper--but there isn't an LE hatch, so the "base" hatch is more expensive than the base sedan. Only if you go SE or better are they comparable.

Not saying it's an awful car, just that the compromises made to make a sporty hatch that has its own appeal makes choices that I wouldn't necessarily chose. And I do respect the idea of a hatch, as I do miss my station wagon at times--but I also recall that when time was up on my wagon, I was thinking of going back to a sedan (wagon always had a dirty rear, and I think more interior noise, due to the open space over the rear axle).

Rear legroom was compromised due to the shorter length (not really important to me but it's there). Shorter wheelbase => choppier ride. Not sure on tires but I think they only come (now anyhow) with the lower profile tires, which means rougher ride. Stiffer suspension.
Choppy ride? Stiffer suspension? You're driving a 20 year old CRV and Camry. :ROFLMAO:

Choppy ride? Stiffer suspension? You're driving a 20 year old CRV and Camry. :ROFLMAO:
I don't daily the CRV, I might go nuts if I did... that's my kid's ride, and he drives around town. But yeah... it's no fun to drive.

The Camry? c'mon, it's a Camry, complete isolation and dull driving experience is its middle name. Well, Corolla has done what it can to compete... Seriously though, I'm rocking some cheapo Monro quick struts and 195/70R14's. Dinghies on the high seas rock less than when I corner. When I lost a swaybar end link it took me a month to realize that something changed.

So the hatchback version is a Toyota Auris (E180, made only in Japan), the sedan Corolla (E170, made in Canada and everywhere) are a little bit different I assume? You can read into it if you like but I think the Auris is supposed to be a "better" world car, but maybe they make a crappy version for us in N.A.?
The Hyundai Elantra touring(wagon) and then Elantra GT(hatchback), are also better "world cars" than the sedan Elantra we get here.
It would be interesting to drive the sedan and hatch versions of both back to back and see if you care for the differences.

I don't daily the CRV, I might go nuts if I did... that's my kid's ride, and he drives around town. But yeah... it's no fun to drive.

The Camry? c'mon, it's a Camry, complete isolation and dull driving experience is its middle name. Well, Corolla has done what it can to compete... Seriously though, I'm rocking some cheapo Monro quick struts and 195/70R14's. Dinghies on the high seas rock less than when I corner. When I lost a swaybar end link it took me a month to realize that something changed.
AUH Pa-leese. You're gettin soft. I just drove 35 hours in 2 days in a 20 year old Honda insight. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Toyota might not make excitement or market leading tech but they also don't make junk.
Pretty sure it was the Corolla that was the fist mass produced economy car that came with LED headlamps.... that´s market leading.

Wife says I'm more of a sedan guy--locally there's a used XSE hatch, with trailer hitch, price is ok--but the reason I "want" it is the power & heated seat with smart key. She's smarter than me. The non-smart key ones still come with RKE. But I'm tempted all the same to drive it, what's the worst that could happen?

Lining up some stuff for tomorrow. I think I found a new one, not positive. If that doesn't work out (it's an hour's drive to get there) I might test drive a used one. Which is the 1.8, not a huge diff I know, but for this kind of money, I want the best, right?

Got an appointment to look at this. Color is what I want. Not too dark, and I'm not sure I want silver this time, and I never liked my white truck. Blueprint blue is a bit dark... picky I know. Price is so-so. I feel like it should be depreciated more, but, the times are what they are. Trying to line up something new, as I'd like the upgraded 2.0 instead, but finding one is "fun".

Reached out to a place in VT to confirm availability. "Yes it's available and in transit." Ok not sure we're using the same terminology.

Toyota has a few different CVT's (K313, K120, etc) but apparently they got it right across all of them, I guess.

Maybe tomorrow I'll test drive one. I'm just not convinced that my '99 will last forever, nor do I think the cheap budget used market will ever come back.
I had a '99 that made it to 295K before the engine lost a valve. My '04 is still chugging along at 436K, and everything on the car still works except for the resume function on the cruise control...how many miles does your '99 have?

how many miles does your '99 have?
260k and climbing.

I’d be fine with it as a daily, which it is, and have high hopes of going over 300k. And I’m not getting rid of it, nor any other car. My problem is, I feel like I can justify buying a 3rd beater for my fleet. 4 drivers, and there’s only so much carpooling we can do, and 3 beaters have old car problems. I can fix some of them, others I can’t, and a garage can repair stuff only so fast.

But… finding a beater is no small task today. IMO the used market is going to be a mess for a few more years to come.

Wife does 25k/yr and I will be too, just in the opposite direction. A 24yr old Camry is apt to continue to shrug it off, but until when? Toss in two teen drivers and what am I to do?

Can you take a day off work and fly out to pick up a new one? You can do all the paperwork and bargaining online with a dealership and then you just have to show up and they hand you the keys. Even Virginia or Ohio wouldn’t be too bad. Here’s one in PA

Link

I was in a Corolla rental last week and I’d happy give up some “theoretical reliability” for some refinement.

Folded like a cheap suit and took it home. $21k OTD, including some 3yr/125k warranty which I'm dubious about but I'm awful at negotiating. But no maintenance, GAP, etc (poor F&I guy--well, I wasn't sorry, when I said "OTD" during pricing, I wasn't joking).

Blew it though on the key--wasn't until everything was said and done that I remembered to ask. SMH. Too used to new. Will have to source one, doesn't have to have RKE but it'd be nice to have two.

Not bad. Not as nice as a Camry, not as bad as a Yaris. Miss my power seat, and it's not an "awesome" seat. OTOH it's got two features that blow my mind:
-if I tap the wiper stalk up, it does a single wipe. I've been missing that for years! [Was *not* in my '99, go figure.]
-auto-up on the windows! I rarely use, 'cept on the drive home when I had to pay the toll. I don't think my '10 Tundra had that, can't remember now, my '99 certainly doesn't.

+1 on the soft touch dash, -1 on the door sill being hard plastic. I sometimes rest my elbow there while driving, like when I'm bored. Door arm rest is padded though. Road noise is mostly tire noise I think, so that is there, but as others have said, it's not as bad as my '99. Set cruise to 70 on the way home, only 35mpg-ish, but it's uphill. But--it's not a hybrid. CVT isn't bad, I did find it "lugging" at 40mph which was odd, but not bad.

If nothing else I can trade in a few years, if I really wanted to. I just needed the peace of mind of a reliable commuter. While sitting my '99 today, I started finding new spots of rust on the door sills, the more I looked the more places I found it. The rust monster never sleeps...

Time to start sourcing CVT fluid, will do that at 50k I think, had I bought new I'd just do it at 30k intervals.

Back