Cordless impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted one last year. Tried the Ryobi 18v impact driver. Did not work. This year I got the Black & Decker Matrix impact driver that's corded. Did not work, but I kept it since I love it's air inflator attachment. It's very efficient and vibrates/heats up the least of all the inflators I've used.

Then I noticed that Craftsman has an impact WRENCH Bolt-on that works with the Matrix. FINALLY! I can use a tool to loosen bolts off my cars. I've tried it as high as 100lbs. It takes a 3-5 seconds of impact, but it will come loose. Also NEVER loosen a bolt without a jack with an impact. Impacts as spin fast enough that you can pop a nut right out. Unlike by hand, where you just want to crack it loose. I see such YouTube videos of impact driver reviews. Of course with the tire bearing it's full normal weight without a jack it'll be harder to loosen a bolt.

Apparently you get more power off the Craftsman Bolt-on cordless than the BD Matrix corded. Those tools are also currently on sale so you can get a cordless 20v drill and impact for less than $90. Remember, it's the impact wrench. You can tell since it'll have a male socket (square) as opposed to the impact drill which is a female hex (drill bits). I used a hex to socket adapter when I tried.

Last edited:
good info razel

i think i've got my eyes on the craftsman, this thread has help me!

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
i like the craftsman someone posted earlier, but then again i have an electric impact and air impact in my garage...

when i travel i take a 1/2 drive breaker bar, a 4 way breaker tire tool and a pipe cheater for leverage.

edit: and hopefully my son is with me, who is pretty dang strong .

The issue with a breaker bar and a pipe is something is going to give with enough leverage. It just might be the stud. I think an impact wrench has a better chance of getting a nut or bolt off without snapping something.

at home i use the impacts, but on the road i carry what i mentioned, just in case you get a stubborn one...but i never let my bolts on wheels get that bad, either my shop uses anti seize or i will add anti seize.

but that is why i like the idea of the cordless impact as an addition to the tools list!

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
at home i use the impacts, but on the road i carry what i mentioned, just in case you get a stubborn one...but i never let my bolts on wheels get that bad, either my shop uses anti seize or i will add anti seize.

but that is why i like the idea of the cordless impact as an addition to the tools list!

If you use anti-seize you need to be careful and put in only on the threads and not where the nut contacts the wheel.

roger that. now that having been said....and sorry for the thread jack:

but are there any tricks to keeping the the impact socket from damaging or better word is denting the rims....

i always make sure to back a way an eight or two so as not cause damage.

am i overthinking this!

one thought was to use some kind of insulation sleeve on the impact socket.

That is exactly why there are impact lug nut sockets are sold. Even HFT carries them and I am sure if you want the best Snap-On etc probably have them too.

318vPoDqFwL.jpg

good electrical tape. or buy specialty sockets.

Its odd how they over-rate the battery models.

I have a 300# rated CORDED IR impact and it seems more powerful than a few cordless I borrowed that were in the 400#+ range.

Is there some way to rig the torque test...

like how cheapo amps are rated in peak watts instead of RMS?

I guess you could rig up such a test if you want but it will not be easy. With an impact wrench, a fastener removal always depends upon the time it keeps on hammering. There is a documented case of a corded impact hammering for more than eight minutes until it successfully removed the dreaded Honda crank bolt. I might be able to find a reference to it somewhere in my stash. But most users of an impact wrench will not have the patience not should they be waiting that long to take off a fastener. You can definitely see one wrench removing something after three solid (l o n g) seconds of impacting versus another gun which would remove the same in a blink of an eye.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back