Convince me why I should use a high-quality filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
On this forum, the general consensus is to spend a few extra dollars at every oil change for a good quality oil filter. The argument is that one is spending a few extra dollars for peace of mind, which can amount to $100 or more over the course of a vehicle's ownership.

Aside from having the peace of mind that you are feeding your car "good" filters, realistically, will I actually notice a tangible benefit from using better filters? By referring to better, I'm referring to using a Wix or PureOne filter instead of a SuperTech or Purolator Premium Plus for a 7500 mi drain.

$100 (or more) is a hefty sum over 150k + miles, and I'd much rather spend it on other items if I will not notice a benefit from using the better filters.

hide.gif

Basic filtering is all you need for your engine to last 300+K. But there is a limit on how long the cheap ones will hold up per OCI. My suggestion would be to use one of each for 7.5K - cut them open and examine them yourself. If you need help deciding, post a filter picture here at BITOG. Plenty of filter gurus here to disect it for you.

153K miles on an old 1998 Civic EX with PP+ and this car will run another 150K miles without a Mobil 1 or K&N oil filter.

If we didn't get rid of the car, it would easily last another 10 years.

The theory is the same as synthetic oil....to get your money out of it, you will need to double the OCI. So the only way to justify this is to do the every other OCI filter change. Or in your case 15K, but quality of construction and materials is also peace of mind. Your choice!

Here's why I pick the premium filters: if you can't afford the extra $3 every 3-6 months (my OCIs); drink less soda, bottled water, coffee, or buy 1 fewer Big Macs. I buy P1 or Napa Gold for 3000 to 5000 OCIs. It's overkill, but why not? We're talking $3 every 3-6 months in my case.

Gezzz...it's only a few bucks extra to use somthing good on your car..
pat2.gif

you take pay-pal i'll send ya $5 bucks.?????

Fair question. I use the premium filters for the "peace of mind" as suggested above. But do I really need to do this? I'm only doing 6,000 mile OCI's and use K&N, great investment IF I am gaining any actual advantage.

I don't see a consensus on using more expensive filters.
I see a lot of ST and Pepboys rebated purolator plus being used and I can't see why you'd want more on a 1996 Saturn that's way past 100K.

Being the cheap old man here..
grin.gif

I've posted photos of the cheap $2 oil filters in use for up to 7500 miles. They all look good, they all work and provide the filtering that you need.
cheers.gif

The Uoas are excellent.

You know my answer Mike!
grin.gif

And I agree with kkreit01, Use the $2 filters and don't eat at McDonalds and then you'll save alot more $$$.
thumbsup.gif

$100 @ $3 a gallon gas (which is going back up and this next summer we will have even HIGHER prices than last) will take my car 1400 miles.
driving.gif

Why spend the $100 on something that will not help you?

Going 1400 miles will help you.

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

I'd say that it just depends on your "feeling" for the car in general. If it's basic beater transportation ..and appliance that you're surely going to discard before it dies ...anything will work. If you have a personality that is a little more on the anal side ..or "exceed the need" type thing going on ..then you go upscale.

Dog:

To native American: Work animal ...then dinner.
To naturalized American: Loving creature that becomes a member of the family. Highly cared for and mourned for when it dies. Memorial parks are constructed for their remains to rest in peace.

Oh, and this is for my next new car. I don't plan on using anything other than the cheapest oil and filters on the Saturn.
laugh.gif

Well, I guess the argument is always there than its only $10/yr extra, at most, but that's $150 or more over 200k+ which can buy a decent amount of gas. :shrug:

I'd like to see someone do a particle count at 7.5k comparing SuperTech, Purolator PP, Wix, etc...

"For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them".

If a few dollars an oil change, for a superior product is out of reach for you...well...........

It's not out of reach at all, I mean, if I'm willing to spend $20k for a car, a few bucks is peanuts.

But my point is, will I actually notice a benefit from it? Otherwise, why not use the money to buy more gas?

You embrace that Saturn and give it every advantage to lasting as long as possible.

It's paid for.

Never buy a new car if you have any "cheap" to you (and you, Michael, have cheap tatoo'd on your a$$)
laugh.gif

I'd have a $300-$1000 beater as a car for the rest of my life. There are plenty that can get the job done.

If I can keep it from losing the body ..I'll still have my minivan in 10 years ..and my jeeps. I don't think the daughter's Taurus is going to make it.

But I must also say that the $2.xx ST filter rules in terms of value.

first let me ask you, do you want clean oil or better flow of oil to your bearings which is right after the filter?

how much trash do you put in your oil? I dont mine, you?

so what does a filter do for you?
here is what I did,
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/filterrelocator.jpg
you'll see I used no filter on this. if you read this whole thread you will see how oils affect your wear.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...part=1&vc=1
you will also see my no filter on this analysis.
bob

Thanks Bob. With that said, I might just grab a SuperTech and change it at every other oil change (per Honda's recommendations).
shocked.gif

So, would it be better for me to use a SuperTech and change it at every oil change, or grab a PureOne or Napa Gold and change it at every other oil change as recommended?

Quote:

Gezzz...it's only a few bucks extra to use somthing good on your car..

Well, how do we even quantify "good" or "premium?" Don't most oil filter companies use the word "premium?"

Unless we can quantify what's so "premium" or "good" about one filter over another, maybe we're just buying a warm fuzzy feeling inside with our few extra bucks.
ooo.gif

[quote

Well, how do we even quantify "good" or "premium?"

By cutting them open and inspecting.

i.e FRAM vs. Amsoil EaO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back